Chris Wilder

SHOTTSLOYAL

Not seen any links or anything along those lines but he is avery good manager. He has exceeded expectations in all five of his posts and his teams regularly play better than the sum of their parts. In my opinion he is head and shoulders above the likes of McInnes. My choice has always been the Utrecht manager Ten Hag as I’ve mentioned on a few threads but Wilder would be my second choice.

Unfortunately although I back the board their reasoning at times seems hard to fathom.

Not for me. The expectations and pressure are the clubs he has managed are not commensurate with what the Manager at Rangers can expect. We need to go for the best Manager we can afford.

Awaiting someone saying too like Warburton, without any substance to back it up. For what it's worth I think he is a cracking manager and certainly has been on my personal list of managers.

Who would you suggest? As I alluded to I believe that to be Ten Hag.

This is the post I've been looking for. Your link last night made very good reading. I really hope the Board are willing to at least take on the idea that this guy is worth a look. The fact that we could get Champions league in a short time frame may tempt someone like him.

This is the post I've been looking for. Your link last night made very good reading. I really hope the Board are willing to at least take on the idea that this guy is worth a look. The fact that we could get Champions league in a short time frame may tempt someone like him.

I’ve been following him since he was at Go Ahead. He works under big financial constraints at Utrecht (one season his net spend was -€8m and he actually improved their situation) and he improves players. It is a manager who can improve players and make a team outperform what is expected that we need. As long as the orcs have more than twice our budget we need this type of guy.

I suspect we would be an attractive proposition for him, our budget would be much larger than Utrecht’s and let’s face it, he would be in the Premier League shop window.

I’ve been following him since he was at Go Ahead. He works under big financial constraints at Utrecht (one season his net spend was -€8m and he actually improved their situation) and he improves players. It is a manager who can improve players and make a team outperform what is expected that we need. As long as the orcs have more than twice our budget we need this type of guy.

I suspect we would be an attractive proposition for him, our budget would be much larger than Utrecht’s and let’s face it, he would be in the Premier League shop window.

Pressures of managing Rangers far exceed that of Utrecht though. I think the board will play safe and if not Scottish it will be a British manager.

Pressures of managing Rangers far exceed that of Utrecht though. I think the board will play safe and if not Scottish it will be a British manager.

I’ve seen a few replies like this and I understand the reasoning, however I’ve yet to see any of the ‘favourites’ who have managed anyone bigger than the likes of Aberdeen, Moyes aside and that didn’t go too well.

Hag and Wilder are realistic and if you compare to the likes of Mcinnes both manage better clubs and players. Also don’t understand what pressure has to do with being British, which incidentally Wilder is in any case.

Out of all the names being thrown around this is the one that interests me the most. Surely we could sound out Pep and get his take on how the guy has progressed. Any chance you could post the link again?

A bit like McInnes then ?

I’ve seen a few replies like this and I understand the reasoning, however I’ve yet to see any of the ‘favourites’ who have managed anyone bigger than the likes of Aberdeen, Moyes aside and that didn’t go too well.

Hag and Wilder are realistic and if you compare to the likes of Mcinnes both manage better clubs and players. Also don’t understand what pressure has to do with being British, which incidentally Wilder is in any case.

I feel it will either be moyes or mciness, my comment was about the pressure of managing Rangers compared to a team like utrecht, obviously I understand Aberdeen doesn't carry the same pressure as Rangers but mciness fully understands this league and knows how every team operates. I just can't see the board going from one foreign coach to another (regardless of how good their cv was in another country).

I feel it will either be moyes or mciness, my comment was about the pressure of managing Rangers compared to a team like utrecht, obviously I understand Aberdeen doesn't carry the same pressure as Rangers but mciness fully understands this league and knows how every team operates. I just can't see the board going from one foreign coach to another (regardless of how good their cv was in another country).

I actually agree re the board to be honest, PC was the wrong man and it may have tainted their opinion, I hope not but I suspect so.

Good read SL. Hope the board read it. However, we need to get this appointment spot on, so I'm a wee bit dubious of going with a foreigner again.

Good read SL. Hope the board read it. However, we need to get this appointment spot on, so I'm a wee bit dubious of going with a foreigner again.

I get that and in some way I am as well, unfortunately I don’t see a British option (Allardyce aside which will never happen) that fills me with any confidence in delivering the level of improvement we need. We are a selling club now, that had to work for players and managers, bring them in, hone their skills and move them on.

I think that this is always the issue with a foreign coach. To some extent it's not about their ability to cope but about the amount of goodwill that fans will give. Foreign coaches, especially in Scotland, just don't get the same honeymoon as others unless they are well known names. And the last thing we need is fans getting on the managers' back earlier than is necessary. We are going to be a long term rebuilding project and there will be setbacks along the way.

That said, Scottish managers get given short shrift for being 'the cheap option' or 'too obvious' or 'jobs for the boys' while English managers get done for 'underestimating the Scottish game.' No one is safe.

I think we really need someone that fans will give time too as we may continue to stumble this year. But I really don't have an answer that is reasonable - hiddink or van Bronkhurst would be my ideals but neither are coming.

Mcinnes seems a reasonable punt. And Ten Hag would be great. But anyone is going to be running a gauntlet with the fans.

I think that this is always the issue with a foreign coach. To some extent it's not about their ability to cope but about the amount of goodwill that fans will give. Foreign coaches, especially in Scotland, just don't get the same honeymoon as others unless they are well known names. And the last thing we need is fans getting on the managers' back earlier than is necessary. We are going to be a long term rebuilding project and there will be setbacks along the way.

That said, Scottish managers get given short shrift for being 'the cheap option' or 'too obvious' or 'jobs for the boys' while English managers get done for 'underestimating the Scottish game.' No one is safe.

I think we really need someone that fans will give time too as we may continue to stumble this year. But I really don't have an answer that is reasonable - hiddink or van Bronkhurst would be my ideals but neither are coming.

Mcinnes seems a reasonable punt. And Ten Hag would be great. But anyone is going to be running a gauntlet with the fans.
It is a quandary.

Whoever gets it does not have time. we are both in the the 3rd divisional any more and squad is decent . We need to be a clear 2nd. Thats the job for whoever comes in.

Whoever gets it does not have time. we are both in the the 3rd divisional any more and squad is decent . We need to be a clear 2nd. Thats the job for whoever comes in.

True. And I think Cauxina's squad is decent - a lot stronger than what Warburton left us with. But we are deficient in a few areas and are short of depth. And our midfield particularly has failed to gel. The new guy could fix that tactically or by personality but it may need new players. And Christmas is always a tricky window. It will be near impossible to fairly judge any new guy for a while.

I agree we should be a comfortable second. But there will be upsets on the way.

Back