Christmas Eve fixtures - madness

No guarantee we'll be on TV. Our first game up there last season wasn't shown, and Celtics game this coming season isn't being shown either.
No English games on Christmas Eve so no issue will be a lunchtime game for Sky

Reason why certain games are now not shown is down to Sky Sport's own scheduling along with when the game can be played in the past BT Sport would have shown those not selected by Sky Sports

Were all the Christmas eve games not half 12 ko a few years ago when we were at home to Inverness?
All were 3pm but the clubs were allowed to change if they both agreed

Both us and Inverness CT agreed that kick-off change

Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day are all shit for football if your not local or away from home miles away.

Glad that the old firm is scheduled for 2nd January

Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day are all shit for football if your not local or away from home miles away.

Boxing Day football is absolutely brilliant. Spend Christmas Day with family & friends then the day after is dad time. Pub, Rangers, home, more festive fun….fantastic!!

Absolute bullshit. Totally fucks over a great amount of fans. Just switch the dates of our and Aberdeen's away fixtures against those two teams

Aberdeen to ross county is probably only about 30 mins quicker than Glasgow to ross county. They cant be much under 3 hours to travel across
Correct mate, done it a few times when going up to invergordon to get on the boat. Horrible drive on a bus as well

I appreciate it must be a ball buster if you're far away, but Boxing day is 1 of the best days in the football calendar. Not happy at all there's no boxing day fixtures this year. The Christmas Eve games imo should be on as traditional boxing day fixtures instead.

I think there's a decent chance that gets moved to Friday 23rd night time game for Sky. Hope so anyway as there's no way I can make kids toys on Christmas eve after Dingwall away. So won't be going if it's Christmas Eve.
Would be the sensible thing to happen especially with the long journey. A lot of folk are going to be off that day as well too.

I appreciate it must be a ball buster if you're far away, but Boxing day is 1 of the best days in the football calendar. Not happy at all there's no boxing day fixtures this year. The Christmas Eve games imo should be on as traditional boxing day fixtures instead.
Yeah would like to know the rationale behind this.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a great day over here in Northern Ireland for the local football and I always head out early doors to the bar for it and then up to the match whoever my local team is playing

But If rangers are playing I’d still rather be over in Scotland which isn’t possible for me on Boxing Day lol

You would think so - setting folk up for a journey like that on Christmas Eve is ridiculous.

Appreciate it’s a great day out for many but anyone with kids or other responsibilities or family commitments over Christmas is left with a choice to make.

Ross County v Aberdeen and St Mirren v Rangers would be more accommodating for traveling supporters surely?
If we were dealing with a competent organisation, your proposal would be a given. But surely you’re not surprised at anything this lot come up with, they’re a laughing stock, but unfortunately we’re the butt of many of their ‘jokes’.

I think some people need to check a map for time between Aberdeen and Ross County's stadiums!

I personally think that sounds a brilliant Xmas Eve!

Just looking through the fixture list to try and pick out a few matches to travel to next year and saw that the SPFL’s fixture planning on Christmas Eve is a cracker this year.

Rangers away to Ross County with a 3pm KO
Aberdeen away to St Mirren with a 3pm KO.

So back home for 11pm/midnight on Christmas Eve for many away fans that day. Utterly ridiculous.
Hopefully it gets moved to a 12-15 kick off or close as can be.

Rangers away in the Highlands/Grampian at the most loopy time of year is a fixed variable in the fixture randomising SPFL software.

Just think yourselves lucky there's no side from the Shetlands or the Outer Hebrides in the league.

Rangers away in the Highlands/Grampian at the most loopy time of year is a fixed variable in the fixture randomising SPFL software.

Just think yourselves lucky there's no side from the Shetlands or the Outer Hebrides in the league.

If we were dealing with a competent organisation, your proposal would be a given. But surely you’re not surprised at anything this lot come up with, they’re a laughing stock, but unfortunately we’re the butt of many of their ‘jokes’.
We keep getting told on here that there is no such thing as the 'Random Computer' anyway and key factors are taken into the equation when compiling the fixture list.

Key factors like the filth demanding and getting the first OF fixture at the cesspit as late as possible in the first quarter two seasons ago. The last of the quarter in fact.

We keep getting told on here that there is no such thing as the 'Random Computer' anyway and key factors are taken into the equation when compiling the fixture list.

Key factors like the filth demanding and getting the first OF fixture at the cesspit as late as possible in the first quarter two seasons ago. The last of the quarter in fact.
See it was random then us and then could be playing at home on the same day or away for that matter

Is there any random fixtures yes but there is also those placed as you say above due to other issues like Euro dates etc

That game was placed on one of 4 dates for it and the latest date for the reason you state after the made public they wanted as late as possible for fans to attend.

Last edited:
The fans are just an afterthought with the authorities and always have been....We could have predicted our fixture before they came out.

Other fixtures on Christmas Eve currently based on distance - I know it can be difficult if there isn't teams from the same type of area

Cove Rangers v Hamilton
Partick Thistle v Inverness CT
FC Edinburgh v Peterhead
Elgin City v Stirling Albion

Ross County v Rangers xmas eve
santa clause at Home christsmas day
Glentoran v Linfield boxing day

what a weekend

to be honest, regardless of who plays were on Xmas eve. A set of fans is going to be annoyed.

Someone needs to play Ross County, whether travelling up there or their fans come down here this direction. You could suggest trying to keep teams local that time of the year. But St Johnstone/Aberdeen is the closest clubs to Ross County, and even then its between 2.5/3 hours from Perth/Aberdeen area to Dingwall.

So either way someone is going to be upset at travelling a fair distance on Xmas eve

I suspect our kick off time will move to lunch time for Sky. Hopefully that helps bears out

You would think so - setting folk up for a journey like that on Christmas Eve is ridiculous.

Appreciate it’s a great day out for many but anyone with kids or other responsibilities or family commitments over Christmas is left with a choice to make.

Ross County v Aberdeen and St Mirren v Rangers would be more accommodating for traveling supporters surely?
Have you ever driven from Aberdeen to Dingwall? Better driving to Glasgow.

That would be too easy

He's not far wrong in as much as New Year was a bigger deal but you still got your presents under the tree.... even 15 year olds.
He was doing national service 1952-54. The English got home leave over Christmas and the Scots New Year.

Two years with only match reports from newspapers sent from home and the BBC world service for the scores doesn’t bear thinking about.

Back