Circulation slumps - Sunday Mail 14% and Daily Record 12% down in one year

The question now is how long will the Mirror Group tolerate what they class as regional newspapers generating huge losses and undermining group results. They had a real moan about it after their last results.
These rags will, of course, blame the internet, which does obviously have a huge impact.
It’s obvious, though, that the Record in particular has, in many ways, been the author of its own downfall, by alienating many of its own readers and being crap generally. It has become one sided, lazy, cowardly and lacking in any real talent writing for it. They also hitched their horse to the wrong wagon in more ways than one.
The old adage still holds true. “They eventually %^*& up everything they get their hands on”

What's their digital circulation? Print sales declining isn't really indicative of much other than the fact that print journalism is dying

Here are the ABCs for May for the Record and Sunday Mail. Both are on track to fall below the 100k mark by the turn of the year, making their relevance increasingly negligible.

The days when they carried real clout, when the Record sold 800,000 and the Sunday Mail hit the 1million mark, are long gone.

The Sunday Mail is down 14% year-on-year to 116,209 and The Record down 12% to 114,000. Can’t be long until they both drop below the 100k mark.

I got
brought up with my dad buying the record a
and
Sun. And at least 3 of the Sundays,
the mail and news of the world and the post.

We used to fight over the papers and basically that was where I got any news regarding the bears.

Im 40 now and have not bought a paper in 10 years. After carrying the same tradition of buying those papers every day. I have always enjoyed reading and the 1st thing I did every morning was up to get the papers.

Now like everyone else I get my news online instead of feeding rangers hating scumbags and helping to pay their wages when they write lies about my team. Let them rot its yesterday's news anyway.

Let their deaths be imminent and sudden.
Haven’t bought one of these lying rags for many years and avoid giving them any “clicks”.
Only downside will be the loss of employment for any Bears working there.

Would always have bought the two of them back in the day as it was the best way I could get info. on Scottish football but haven't done so since the Rangers hating stories became the main raison d'etre of both. They are increasingly irrelevant in the modern day and it can only be a matter of time before one or both go under.

Here are the ABCs for May for the Record and Sunday Mail. Both are on track to fall below the 100k mark by the turn of the year, making their relevance increasingly negligible.

The days when they carried real clout, when the Record sold 800,000 and the Sunday Mail hit the 1million mark, are long gone.

The Sunday Mail is down 14% year-on-year to 116,209 and The Record down 12% to 114,000. Can’t be long until they both drop below the 100k mark.

Good.

The Record was always a Labour paper and most papes are labour as well. Well matched pair and wehile I am sorry for the folk who work there, I won't be losing any sleep over their sports section, Branston pickle face for example when he signs on at the burroo.

Jing, Crivvens,Help Ma Boab, looks like the Sunday Post is on the way out as well.

There is a bit of a silver lining for them in the math :)
They have been in a double digit decline every year for years. But as we all know, 12% of nothing is nothing and that's not too far down the road.

I'm surprised they're not bragging that the actual circulation decline number year on year is lessening.

They won't be missed.

Seriously when was the last time you looked at a newspaper headline and stood in shock&awe??? Exactly, these rags have passed it and I watch in glee at their demise.

Hopefully the End for these Rangers hating rhags

Their days are numbered. The racism they printed against the English when Scotland played them was disgraceful and embarrassing. I’ll never forget that living in England. Not bought it for over 20 years. And then I heard recently it was the only British newspaper not to print anything on their front page about the recent d-day commemorations. Disgusting.

I used to buy the record every day and an English paper
Sunday’s is buy 3 papers

Now I only buy an English broadsheet

The record has become an English hating poet loving rag

Can’t wait till it ceases to trade

giphy.gif

I don't buy or click on any Scottish papers. Someone retweeted a Record article today saying "wow" but I block the Record so couldn't see the story. I thought for about one second whether it would be an interesting article and then quickly realised it would be absolute click-bait pish.

Don't buy the paper, click on any article or follow them on twitter. Poison.

The mentally challengeds ruin everything they touch. My levels of disgust and frustration with them are at an all time high. They have infiltrated the media to such a degree that there is no neutrality in the news anymore. It's a sad state of affairs and so different from my upbringing in Glasgow.
I have often thought of returning to Scotland in my retirement but I am not sure I could cope with the mentally challenged infestation. In my view there is not a decent Tim and I class everyone of them now as ***'s.

Don't buy any of them but a Sun was lying around at work today. 55p - full of adverts and absolute twaddle about Love Island, Alan Partridge's 'Bad Slags' gangster stuff and people having affairs. No knockers and Striker has lost its way.

Honestly wouldn't take a copy for free - and I didn't.

The obsolescence of the printed press is not entirely down to the internet, over bearing and overtly agenda driven chief editors have no doubt hastily sped up the process. Doesn't matter what your preference in sport or politics is. Nobody trusts them, not even the people they are trying to curry favour with and entice to continue buying the agenda they push. Sure some will swallow it wholesale, but more often than not people don't nowadays.

The Daily Record is and was a curious case of self harm. Who knew pissing off the support of the best supported club in the country would severely narrow their customer base!? That was a decision made at an executive level, which in truth makes it all the more bewildering to me. I get a few uppity Tim Journos decrying the big bad Rangers narrative now and again, it's in their nature. However, the almost relentless pursuit of smearing Rangers at every turn that has gone on for close to 15 years is truly the most baffling aspect. I get that sometimes criticism is warranted and even needed but the conduct has more often than not gone beyond the pale.

The silver lining to all of it is the ascension of more fan made content. The guys from Heart and Hand, The Four Lads Blog and a multitude of various other fan made media has risen high in the estimations of the average fan. To the point that the mainstream press are nicking exclusives from interviews from the indie fan made content. That's a win in my book and long may that trend continue. The Mainstream press up here have made their bed and they should be made to wallow in it.

Last edited:
Bought the DR every day for nearly 30 years.
Last one was 2014.

There was some great headlines in the late 80’s and 90’s tbf.

If what we’re hearing is correct then newspapers tomorrow in Scotland will be sold out.
I just wish I was in Scotland to buy one. It would be the first time in over 30 years that I’ve bought a Scottish Rangers hating rhag.

The Record was always a Labour paper and most papes are labour as well. Well matched pair and wehile I am sorry for the folk who work there, I won't be losing any sleep over their sports section, Branston pickle face for example when he signs on at the burroo.

Jing, Crivvens,Help Ma Boab, looks like the Sunday Post is on the way out as well.

It's sad, in a way. I grew up reading the Mail and the Post and used to love reading the Herald when I got a bit older. I know they're victims of technological change, but to a large extent, their dumbing down and increasing partisanship has been a big factor in their demise.

I worked in South Africa in the 70s - no computers, no cheap calls home, not even a TV broadcasting service at that time!

Every Friday after work, I'd go in to CNA (Central News Agency), which was the South African equivalent of R S McColls, and pick up the Sunday Mail and the Sunday Post. They were sent over by mail ship from the UK, and were three weeks out of date by the time they went on sale. I'd take them home, put them in my bedside cabinet and not look at them until Sunday morning, as if they'd just come through the door.

Homesickness does weird things to you!

Used to enjoy picking up a record and reading the sports.

Imagine ostracizing your biggest customer base...morons

Same here. It was almost the sports news bible at one time. Wasn’t in the Record. Wasn’t worth reading.

Now the Rhebel has simply driven its own customer base away by allowing its sports section to become stuffed with rhabids.

Sad, but I’ll now actually laugh when it closes and all those crash barriers are on the dole.

3 words that should have been the end of that paper.

Lies Jane Hamilton.

Or

poet Jane Hamilton.

Or

Jane Hamilton lyingtarriercow.

At some point the national newspapers will become internet websites only. What demographic buy newspapers? I'd suggest it is mostly old people.

Back