Circulation slumps - Sunday Mail 14% and Daily Record 12% down in one year

mdingwall

Administrator
Here are the ABCs for May for the Record and Sunday Mail. Both are on track to fall below the 100k mark by the turn of the year, making their relevance increasingly negligible.

The days when they carried real clout, when the Record sold 800,000 and the Sunday Mail hit the 1million mark, are long gone.

The Sunday Mail is down 14% year-on-year to 116,209 and The Record down 12% to 114,000. Can’t be long until they both drop below the 100k mark.

Here are the ABCs for May for the Record and Sunday Mail. Both are on track to fall below the 100k mark by the turn of the year, making their relevance increasingly negligible.

The days when they carried real clout, when the Record sold 800,000 and the Sunday Mail hit the 1million mark, are long gone.

The Sunday Mail is down 14% year-on-year to 116,209 and The Record down 12% to 114,000. Can’t be long until they both drop below the 100k mark.
Goodbye

How low can they go? Where is the point where the losses finish them off? Digital revenue can't be making them 5% of what they could previously charge for ads in the paper when they were in their pomp.

Can the Daily Record survive on 80,000 readers? 50,000?

The only benefit I can see is that newspapers still retain a disproportionate influence on politics and society and a malevolent/lunatic owner might like to retain that influence for the price of covering the losses (cf. The National and the Largs tubsters). Can Trinity Mirror afford to do that, though? Where would they get the money from?

Used to enjoy picking up a record and reading the sports.

Imagine ostracizing your biggest customer base...morons
Most site workers used to buy a paper on the way in. With the event of internet phones that hasn't helped them which only makes it more laughable they've went down the road they have.

That's poets though. They'll burn everything to the ground to try & further their bigoted agenda.

Only way those figures are improving is if someone turns the internet off.

Couldn't tell you the last time I bought one

Id be interested to see their digital revenue for the record, although it's probably linked so heavily to the mirror I'll doubt it's easy to calculate.

Remember they are part of Reach (trinity mirror) so they can back the circulation pretty low. I wonder though of they have plans to either sell it off, bin it, or re start a new Scottish entity.

Id be interested to see their digital revenue for the record, although it's probably linked so heavily to the mirror I'll doubt it's easy to calculate.

Remember they are part of Reach (trinity mirror) so they can back the circulation pretty low. I wonder though of they have plans to either sell it off, bin it, or re start a new Scottish entity.
A separate entity?

DFfblGZW0AEXZnx.jpg

Surely nobody in their right mind would put money into this kind of venture in the mobile era? The only ones that would buy a paper are the 100 odd thousand that still do & they're dying off by the minute.

Lots of people will say that this is to do with a large scale boycott from Rangers fans when in actual fact it mirrors the decline in newspaper sales as a whole in the UK.

You reap what you sow. They have pandered to their chosen audience and this is where that leads them to. I gave t bought the record for nearly a decade nor have I ever read it. I am no worse for that.

I always bought The Record and Sunday Mail back in the day but haven't bought either since 2000, other than "specials" like for cup finals or league wins. I will never buy either again and look forward to the day when they are mentioned in the same breath as The Evening Citizen.

They backed the wrong horse and put their money on a lame donkey.

Drinking from the poisoned well has not been wise.

Feel sorry for any Bear or family member that has the misfortune to work for these rags.Jobs are hard to come by.As for their journalists and the Rangers hating staff members fu*k every single one of you.Bit the hand that fed you for years you deserve the dole.Rhats to a man.

I haven't bought a newspaper for about 3-4 years. I imagine almost every newspaper is suffering from reduced circulation.

Technology changes are only part of the reason for this decline. This is was happens when you let your editorial policy be blinded by hatred and to alienate almost half of your potential readership. They’d be as well changing the mast head colours to green and white, for and by mentally challengeds who, it should never be forgotten are also part of the biggest child abuse scandal in world sport.

Let them burn.

How much of the fall is simply down to a generation change where people don’t buy any papers? Can’t imagine it’s simply Rangers fans boycotting it.

How much of the fall is simply down to a generation change where people don’t buy any papers? Can’t imagine it’s simply Rangers fans boycotting it.
This is no doubt a massive part of it. The thing is though, for a lot of us older than 30 it was a ritual to buy a paper in the morning. Internet access on our phones have just made it a lot easier to give them up when they're filled with rabid bias.

Back