City vs Spurs

If that’s what VAR does it can fûck off. What a joke of a decision. Ruining the game
Ruining the game by not letting teams break the rules to score intentional or not? The ball went perfectly to Jesus because of the way it bounced of his arm

im beginning to wonder what is the point of refs and assistant refs?

maybe the future is none at all and decisions will be made for everyone baby a team in a studio miles away and announced over the tannoy?

Ruining the game by not letting teams break the rules to score intentional or not? The ball went perfectly to Jesus because of the way it bounced of his arm

im pretty sure it grazed his arm, to didnt bounce off of it

but ifs thats the new rule, fair enough, but its a shit rule

How can making the correct decision be ruining the game? If anything the opposite is true, gaining an unfair advantage and goal from a handball is surely worse?

so you would be happy if it was us v the scum and this scenario happened to us?

just say 'ach well, thems the rules'?

So unintentional handball by defenders is not a pen?

Unintentional handball by attacking player is not a foul unless a goal gets scored within the next few seconds and then it is a foul?

Its the rule thats ruining the game, not the ref applying the rules.

Its ridiculous that the same incident is treated completely differently depending on which way youre kicking at the time.

The ball grazed the City arm, however it was close to coming off the Spurs arm.
If it had come off the defenders arm onto the attackers arm, it would not be a penalty but the subsequent goal disallowed. Is that what some people are suggesting.

Jesus still had a lot to do, he wasn't set up by the bounce.

Do we want to retain a game of emotion and human fallibility or one determined by technological scrutiny?

I like the idea of VAR. But seeing it in action is making me re-think.

Imagine that in a rangers v scum game last minute winner ruled out there would be bloodshed

Exactly, all the emotion is being taken out of football. It'll get to the stage that you can't celebrate a last minute winner until some fud sitting in a garage somewhere decides if it's a goal or not. The ball will hit the net and nobody will move until 3 minutes later after staring at the big screens to see if it's a goal or not. Football is now being analysed to phuck, they need to take a step back, get VAR to phuck.

So unintentional handball by defenders is not a pen?

Unintentional handball by attacking player is not a foul unless a goal gets scored within the next few seconds and then it is a foul?
There's separate rules in European leagues and the EPL as well regarding defenders and handball/ball-to-hand, so it is all a bit of a shitshow.

so you would be happy if it was us v the scum and this scenario happened to us?

just say 'ach well, thems the rules'?

Eh, aye. Wouldn't be happy but would have to accept it. Like you say it's the rules so couldn't really complain.

On the other hand imagine the mentally challengeds setting up a goal against us with a handball. We'd be rightfully pissed off if it was allowed to stand.

With all due respect, it's like you've come back from a holiday on Mars for the past 4 months and missed all this about the new rules.
Jesus Christ I’m only giving an opinion.

With all due respect if we all followed the rules to the letter then there would be no discussion.

No need for the over the top sarcasm, ya tit!

Eh, aye. Wouldn't be happy but would have to accept it. Like you say it's the rules so couldn't really complain.

On the other hand imagine the mentally challengeds setting up a goal against us with a handball. We'd be rightfully pissed off if it was allowed to stand.

the rule should still be if its 'deliberate'

Jesus still had a lot to do, he wasn't set up by the bounce.

Do we want to retain a game of emotion and human fallibility or one determined by technological scrutiny?

I like the idea of VAR. But seeing it in action is making me re-think.
Thats the other part of the rule. How far back do they go checking for handballs? 2 passes? 3 passes? 20 seconds? Last time the ball was out of play?

Does anybody know.

It doesn't matter. The rule is, if they gained an advantage by the ball striking an arm, then it's a foul.

It's quite unbelievable how thick people are in not being able to understand this.

It's not VAR which is an issue here. The new interpretation of the handball rule is the issue.

Without VAR, the ref would have been right to chop that off anyway.

For a start it wasn't a deliberate hand ball, it was headed onto his upper arm from about 2 ft.
I would wager that it would never have been noticed in "real time" 90% of the time.
VAR is fkn horrible when it's used to micro-manage games rather than purely offside decisions and goal line issues.
It'll be the death of our beautiful game!
:mad:
I concur. We'll eventually reach a situation where a home team will score a dramatic winner and there will be no spontaneous reaction from the fans. At that point our game will truly be fecked.

The ball grazed the City arm, however it was close to coming off the Spurs arm.
If it had come off the defenders arm onto the attackers arm, it would not be a penalty but the subsequent goal disallowed. Is that what some people are suggesting.

That's about right.

It's quite unbelievable how thick people are in not being able to understand this.

It's not VAR which is an issue here. The new interpretation of the handball rule is the issue.

Without VAR, the ref would have been right to chop that off anyway.
But the ref didn't spot it!!!

there would be carnage in the stadium

while I agree that its the rules now, its a really shit rule

Oh I fully agree it's a shite rule, but it is a rule.

As for VAR its doing everything I thought it would and why I really didn't want it in the game, other sports are suited to this kind of technology, football is not.

However nearly everyone wanted it, the people who did, not saying you did, cant complain about it getting a correct decision.

this is Law 12:

HANDLING THE BALL

It is an offence if a player:
  • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
  • scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
It is usually an offence if a player:

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
    • the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:

• directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
  • directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
  • if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
  • when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body
The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their
penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but there is no disciplinary sanction.

for those thats dont know it

The Spurs defender was pulling Jesus’ arm just before the alleged hand ball. Should it not have been a penalty before the ball strikes Jesus’ arm?
It was only a slight pull, but then it was only a slight hand ball. What’s the difference??

Back