Clarity on our injuries

goldson bollocks

With Beale now in charge, do you think we might get a bit more updated on injuries? E.g what type of injuries, a timescale on returning etc....done my head in every time Gio was questioned it was always "after the world cup" would love to know how far away the likes of Hagi, Yilmaz, Goldson, Lawrence, Souttar, Davies are from a return to action, totally written off Helander after hearing one minute he's off crutches then back on them couple of weeks ago again.

No, became medical matters are private and it’s up to the players if information is released.
Never knew that, just frustrating that we never get any good news, thought Hagi was close to returning but didn't look involved in the training videos from the other day and thought Roofe might have been out longer only to see him involved.

With Beale now in charge, do you think we might get a bit more updated on injuries? E.g what type of injuries, a timescale on returning etc....done my head in every time Gio was questioned it was always "after the world cup" would love to know how far away the likes of Hagi, Yilmaz, Goldson, Lawrence, Souttar, Davies are from a return to action, totally written off Helander after hearing one minute he's off crutches then back on them couple of weeks ago again.
I strongly agree with your post here.

It bugs the hell out of me how bloody awful the Club is at keeping the fans in the loop about our injuries and recuperation timescales. I really hope the new management team take this on Board and ensure that the supporters are kept better informed.

Also, the publication of these updates might put some psychological pressure on some of our "slower to recover" players than has been the case in the past.

True story about George Graham, when he took over at Spurs.

He had no fewer than 22 players on his injured list when he took over, and those guys came in every morning, got physio or whatever, then swanned off after lunch. The Spurs training ground is near the M25.

GG changed the routine, so they came in at lunchtime, and had to spend the afternoons getting treatment, and set off for home in the rush hour.

The injury list shrank very rapidly. Funny that, eh?

Nope, the club have clearly drawn a line in the sand on this.

Either they’ve decided that fans shouldn’t be aware of anticipated recovery time, or we’re so poorly manned in that area that the club simply don’t know when players will back.

True story about George Graham, when he took over at Spurs.

He had no fewer than 22 players on his injured list when he took over, and those guys came in every morning, got physio or whatever, then swanned off after lunch. The Spurs training ground is near the M25.

GG changed the routine, so they came in at lunchtime, and had to spend the afternoons getting treatment, and set off for home in the rush hour.

The injury list shrank very rapidly. Funny that, eh?
I remember reading exactly that in his book, and thinking.......genius.

If anyone can tell me a good reason for this information to be public, then I'll support it but to me it seems we have supporters that feel they have to know everything because they are nosey bastards.
We don't have to know "everything" but it would be nice to be given a rough estimate as to how long it will be until a player will be available again for selection.

It would make fans stop asking and we are entitled to updates on injuries imo
Why are we entitled? The players aren’t available due to injury and no amount of updates or moaning about communication is going to change that. Just get on with it and welcome the players back when they are ready without giving opposing managers heads up on our likely squad they will face weeks in advance.

If anyone can tell me a good reason for this information to be public, then I'll support it but to me it seems we have supporters that feel they have to know everything because they are nosey bastards.
I don't get why your thoughts on the matter are so strong?

I don't think the support, as such want a day by day update on a specific injury. I know I don't.

It's just that after what seems like decades now, it wears you down.

Player A took a knock on his leg in the last few minutes of a match is taken off, walked off as a purely precautionary measure. He ends up out for three weeks.

Player B who played the full ninety minutes on the Saturday's name comes up in the pre match dispatches as the next game approaches. Turns out he's out for a month. So where or how the fc_ck did that happen? He finished the last match ok.

However, if having the temerity to wonder when such and such a player will be back after what seemed like an innocouos challenge at the time makes me a nosey bastard then I suppose that's what I am.

I’ve no doubt some of those players are on the injury list because they can’t be arsed

Like who though? Souttar had an operation on a foot injury he brought with him from Hearts. Helander needed another operation on the same injury he picked up at St Mirren after returning for pre-season, Hagi ACL, Lawrence was an achillies, Goldson looked like a thigh injury, Sakala and Yilmaz are both hamstring injuries. Davies just doesn't seem to have been fit since he came in the door.

I don't think any of them are at it to be honest the only 1 I would maybe question is Roofe but I think some of it is down to players being rushed back like Helander.

I don't get why your thoughts on the matter are so strong?

I don't think the support, as such want a day by day update on a specific injury. I know I don't.

It's just that after what seems like decades now, it wears you down.

Player A took a knock on his leg in the last few minutes of a match is taken off, walked off as a purely precautionary measure. He ends up out for three weeks.

Player B who played the full ninety minutes on the Saturday's name comes up in the pre match dispatches as the next game approaches. Turns out he's out for a month. So where or how the fc_ck did that happen? He finished the last match ok.

However, if having the temerity to wonder when such and such a player will be back after what seemed like an innocouos challenge at the time makes me a nosey bastard then I suppose that's what I am.
No, if you wonder when someone will be back that is perfectly fine. If you feel that an organisation must share information to satisfy that wonder, then you are indeed a nosey bastard.

Doubt it, and rightly so.
It’s actually none of our business!

No, if you wonder when someone will be back that is perfectly fine. If you feel that an organisation must share information to satisfy that wonder, then you are indeed a nosey bastard.
Nah, I'm more of a cynic, or a realist bud.

I don't expect to see Helander again, and if I do it will be another false dawn.

I've already resigned myself to the concept Souttar could well be this generation's Daniel Prodan and if we eventually do get a turn out of him, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Roofe has no meaningful role to play at Ibrox going forward. A shame, but that's the reality.

Despite the soundbites I don't expect Hagi or Lawrence to play any any games of significance this season either.

I still wonder though how it seems like we have so many players out injured at any one time all the time.

Nah, I'm more of a cynic, or a realist bud.

I don't expect to see Helander again, and if I do it will be another false dawn.

I've already resigned myself to the concept Souttar could well be this generation's Daniel Prodan and if we eventually do get a turn out of him, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Roofe has no meaningful role to play at Ibrox going forward. A shame, but that's the reality.

Despite the soundbites I don't expect Hagi or Lawrence to play any any games of significance this season either.

I still wonder though how it seems like we have so many players out injured at any one time all the time.
Hard to disagree with any of that but it's off-topic.

Hard to disagree with any of that but it's off-topic.
Getting back on topic I don't disagree with the notion that if a player is injured you'd expect the club to give a realistic assessment of the injury and time frame of when the crock should be expected back.

However, it's not one of my main worries in the grand scheme of things.

Souttar, Roofe and Helander are the three for me where I have absolutely no clue what their injuries are nor any idea when they're suppose to be back.

Souttar especially is a strange one. He played a couple of games in pre-season and against Livi and then was just gone and as far as I know there's never been an explanation apart from rumours on here. I don't think we need the club to go into great detail about whatever the problem is but they could say "player X has a problem with his Y and will be out for a while".

I suppose whether we know or not doesn't make much difference but as fans it's quite frustrating that we have three good players who we know can't play and we don't really know why.

Souttar, Roofe and Helander are the three for me where I have absolutely no clue what their injuries are nor any idea when they're suppose to be back.

Souttar especially is a strange one. He played a couple of games in pre-season and against Livi and then was just gone and as far as I know there's never been an explanation apart from rumours on here. I don't think we need the club to go into great detail about whatever the problem is but they could say "player X has a problem with his Y and will be out for a while".

I suppose whether we know or not doesn't make much difference but as fans it's quite frustrating that we have three good players who we know can't play and we don't really know why.
Helander said in an interview recently he’s hoping to be back around February but I imagine it would take a few months for him to get match fit again after being out so long, assume he will be let go in summer when his contract runs out without seeing him play again.

Roofe looks to be back in full training on RTV so looks like he could be back for Hibs, hopefully he can keep some sort of fitness but you just never know with him. Beale was positive about him and was saying how he was the top scorer in the 55 season so I’d imagine he wants Roofe back in the squad.

Souttar, no idea. Still not taking part in training. Would imagine he’s going to be out long term but it would be good to know.

It would make fans stop asking and we are entitled to updates on injuries imo

Why though? What actual difference does it make if we know or not?

If Beale gives us updates fair dos, if he doesn't it wont be a big deal. All I care about is who is available for the next match.

Helander said in an interview recently he’s hoping to be back around February but I imagine it would take a few months for him to get match fit again after being out so long, assume he will be let go in summer when his contract runs out without seeing him play again.

Roofe looks to be back in full training on RTV so looks like he could be back for Hibs, hopefully he can keep some sort of fitness but you just never know with him. Beale was positive about him and was saying how he was the top scorer in the 55 season so I’d imagine he wants Roofe back in the squad.

Souttar, no idea. Still not taking part in training. Would imagine he’s going to be out long term but it would be good to know.

Yeah end of Feb/early March he said so it is possible he won't play for us again.

Helander is out with the foot injury he sustained at St Mirren. He was back in pre-season training and then felt discomfort with the same injury (was he brought back too early?) so had to get another operation on it. Souttar is foot issue as well which Hearts didn't appear to treat or our own medical team picked up but had an operation and must be due back soon. He's been in a couple of the videos recently from RTV in training gear so maybe doing gym work or something.

Plenty of managers at other clubs do go into detail about injured players when asked at pressers
It would seem our representatives are frightened to open their mouths at pressers except for hand-picked questions. Even though Ross Wilson said a number of players had returned from injury, nobody thought to ask him who had returned.

We are given rough estimates. What benefit would it have telling us that Hagi, for example, was out for an estimated 13 months rather than saying it'll be next season when he's back?
It's not circumstances like that I have an issue with, it's when they say they are close but they never appear.

Goldson
Lawrence
Hagi
Roofe

Updates on those 4 are the important ones. Helander and Souttar offer nothing as their injuries will just continue.

I can't believe that you of all people on here, a voice of calm and reason, usually, have actually fell for all this stuff.

It is a simple, normal reaction for a fan to ask when a player gets injured. 'When will he be back?'

Of course it is our business.
Thanks for the “compliment”!
There’s nothing wrong with asking, just don’t feel entitled to an answer.
Entitled being the key word here.
I’m no different in that I’d really like to know when our “big” players will be back.
Fact is that medical teams often don’t know.
Players are different.
You’ll remember McCoist being back eight days after a cartilage operation.
Never been heard of before or since.
The other side is players not being back when they’re expected.
Can you imagine this place if we were told Goldson would be back after the World Cup then doesn’t make it?
Yes, exactly.
This has happened.
Another view is giving the opposition too much good news.
Again, we’d be rubbing our hands if we knew Jota would be out for the season.
Well, we were happy when it looked like McGregor would miss a big chunk of the term.
Does that get me my “calm and reason” badge back?
By the way, you should see what’s happening “under the water”!

I love that people claim were entitled to this info.

What gives you that feeling of entitlement? You bought a ticket and a shirt? Great. You bought some shares? Fantastic. Where in the t&c for any of those things does it say you get injury updates?

If a customer at my work started shouting about being entitled to know why I was off work and exactly when I'd be back, they'd be told it was none of their business. Why do you think football is different?

It would seem our representatives are frightened to open their mouths at pressers except for hand-picked questions. Even though Ross Wilson said a number of players had returned from injury, nobody thought to ask him who had returned.
Suck before every press conference asks this board what they want asked.

What questions do our reps not ask? Also what questions that they ask don’t you agree with?

To me , if we were told truthfully with the anticipation when the injured players would be back it would just be another moanfest for some on here.

Thanks for the “compliment”!
There’s nothing wrong with asking, just don’t feel entitled to an answer.
Entitled being the key word here.
I’m no different in that I’d really like to know when our “big” players will be back.
Fact is that medical teams often don’t know.
Players are different.
You’ll remember McCoist being back eight days after a cartilage operation.
Never been heard of before or since.
The other side is players not being back when they’re expected.
Can you imagine this place if we were told Goldson would be back after the World Cup then doesn’t make it?
Yes, exactly.
This has happened.
Another view is giving the opposition too much good news.
Again, we’d be rubbing our hands if we knew Jota would be out for the season.
Well, we were happy when it looked like McGregor would miss a big chunk of the term.
Does that get me my “calm and reason” badge back?
By the way, you should see what’s happening “under the water”!
I remember full well McCoist coming back against Steua because Souness, after selling Fleck and Falco, had no option but to take the risk.

This issue isn't something that gets to me, so I don't get that it can bring out words like entitled in the arguments.

We live in the first quarter of the 21st century and technology, especially in the field of sports injuries and recuperation teqhniques etc have never been so advanced.

It is a natural reflex when you see a player getting stretched off, you automatically think ooh, this is a bad one. Your next thought is I wonder how long he'll be out? Every fan of every contact sport in the world thinks along the same lines. It doesn't make them entitled.

In this day and age, when a player is injured you'd expect the club to A - assess the extent of the injury and frrom that be able to give reasonable time frame for the recuperation and from then back to full fitness.

That's the A to Z of it in my book.

The only ones who play the injury disinformation game is the yahoos and if it reels you in then more fool you. (Not you personally)

Back