Classic Match: Aberdeen 1991

Craigie

Now, this was a day and a half!

RANGERS have played in many classic matches through the years and in this new series of features we’ll remember some of the best.

Tom Cowan playing on with a broken leg.
John Brown playing on until his Achilles went.
Spackman at centre half.
Hurlock at left back.
Johnston in midfield.
Half fit substitutes used
They just needed a draw and hadn't lost for months.

That Rangers team just were not leaving the pitch without the trophy that day. The best example ever of the badge carrying a team to glory.

Bloody wonderful.

Spackman at centre half.
Hurlock at left back.
Johnston in midfield.

That Rangers team just were not leaving the pitch without the trophy that day. The best example ever of the badge carrying a team to glory.

Bloody wonderful.
This team spirit fostered by Smith especially carried us over many a winning line in both spells as manager.

Unforgettable day, Hateley was unplayable that day. I presented Mark Walters with our player of the year trophy inside Ibrox before the game. Also sat chatting with Gary Stevens a couple of hours before the game, couldn’t believe how relaxed he was....

Spackman at centre half.
Hurlock at left back.
Johnston in midfield.

Bloody wonderful.
That is the most perfect description of that day as you’ll ever get, can still see marks shimmy n cross and marks header, one of those goals that sticks with you no matter what

Spackman at centre half.
Hurlock at left back.
Johnston in midfield.

Bloody wonderful.

For months the shirt had looked too big for many of them.

Not that day.

Now, this was a day and a half!

RANGERS have played in many classic matches through the years and in this new series of features we’ll remember some of the best.

Year before I was born, but I've heard so much about the game, I feel as if I was there.

What a classic.

What a performance and result.
Was out the front playing kerby with a sheep fan (only one in the town) my Pap shouting out the window keeping us updated, great times.

Was there that Day, wonderful, always remember the bears surrounding a fishgutters bus after the game and the dicks throwing a bag out at them which contained 50 Aberdeen league champions t-shirts, get it right up you ya sheepshaggin scum

Commented on a similar thread not that long ago. Stupidly started smoking that day as I thought it would calm the nerves I was 14. Now on my 3rd week off the fags. The things Rangers do to you at times. What a day and performance though

I love it when this game crops up. I couldn’t of wished for a better game to be taken to for the first time (see profile pic). Wasn’t fully aware or appreciated what was at stake that day but I knew then what a team that didn’t quit was! No Surrender Glasgow Rangers!

In the enclosure that day , 1st and only time standing at Ibrox. 10 years of age and couldn’t see a thing but what a day. Remember being offered £150 for my £4 ticket before ko.

Travelled down from Inverness without a ticket - saw one "drunk" fan refused entry and within 10 seconds must have been 10 guys around him asking for his ticket.

Listened to the game commentary on the radio - you could still sense the atmosphere outside the stadium. As usual the gates were opened with 10 mins to go and about 50 fans (including myself) rushed into the stadium to watch the end of the game and the title celebrations.

No subway loyal that day :))

One of the best days ever. I was a ball boy at the broomloan end. Went mental at the goals and a few sheep jumped onto the track. Polis wuman saved me from a slap!

Turned down £125.00 for my £6.50 ticket - I had predicted the Tuesday before a 2-0 victory - just wish I'd put money on it

That clip didn't pick it up, but I recall that at kick off McGinley was so nervous, he could barely put his whistle to his mouth.

Got ma dads ticket stub in the house for that match was only one at the time

did aberdeen have the broomloan rear aswell?

A day to remember -

DPWhQQ5.png

Was there not some sort of printing cock up with the programme? There wasn't enough printed or something?

Was there not some sort of printing cock up with the programme? There wasn't enough printed or something?

Got pulled for having an advert for the Robbie Coltrane film "The Pope Must Die" in it. Only managed to print a few thousand in time for the game. Managed to get one at the game. One of the greatest days at Ibrox.

I remember listening to it on the radio in they days you only got last 5 mins off first half then full second half.

When they said they had a goal at Ibrox usually you have the tension of who it's for but the noise when they went to the Ibrox you knew straight away in was for us.

The noise even listening to it on the radio was incredible

Got pulled for having an advert for the Robbie Coltrane film "The Pope Must Die" in it. Only managed to print a few thousand in time for the game. Managed to get one at the game. One of the greatest days at Ibrox.
Is that true? Interesting to know, my old man always got my brother and I a programme for every game of we were there or not. I have his ticket from that game but no programme. I was in Holland on a school trip for that game, never found out how it went till we got back a few days later, not interested in the reunion with the family straight to watching the taped highlights and reading the paper. Good Times.

If I remember right so I felt that we were underdogs that day, strange that it may seem.
Every one was a hero that day.
Did the sheep have the whole broom loan or just the bottom?
Loads of scrapping before the game at the old Albion boozer.

Had an asthma attack on the Thursday night, into the Victoria. Kept in Thursday and Friday night, absolutely panicking. The consultant came round on Saturday morning, told him I had to get out for the game, he let me go thankfully. What a day, performance and result. Made it back to the McDonald Hotel at Eastwood Toll but only lasted till around 8.00, what a sing song in the bar, absolute magic.

Every one was a hero that day.
Did the sheep have the whole broom loan or just the bottom?
Loads of scrapping before the game at the old Albion boozer.
Don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone (apart from the filth) have the full Broomloan post Souness. Though I may be wrong.
They had a tidy team in those days, on and off.

Spackman at centre half.
Hurlock at left back.
Johnston in midfield.

Bloody wonderful.
Wish some of our players the last few years had the spirit of that team

Incredible memories of that day. Emotional looking back and remembering the celebrations in west enclosure.

If I remember rightly, the sheep just had all of the bottom of broomloan.

Funny thinking back to some of the supports we use to see. Remember hearts having all of the rear of broomloan for one game. And even killie having almost all of the front of broomloan. Changed days in so many ways.

I was in Ireland the week before with a couple of customers/friends on a fishing trip. They were ripping me to bits that Aberdeen would pump the gers. We agreed on a wee bet which they bottled out of at the last minute. Before setting off for the match I put £250 on us to win at 5/4. Never any doubt in my mind we would win that day but never placed a bet like that again!

Back