Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Were there reports of any issues with crowd crushing after these games. I had been at 1964 final we won 3-1 v Dundee but don't remember it much but looked it up and 120,00!! It's amazing young kids at these games. I do remember my da and others putting arms round the kids on way out of these big games and the shouts - watch there's a wean here!! shuffling your feet as you coudn't get a proper stride in. It just seemed that's the way it is if you want big crowds. We all know it wasn't and had to change.
No more than usual. There were always people collapsing and being gradually moved to the front to get treatment from the Ambulance Services whether it be from illness or exhaustion, crushing, hit by a bottle or just too much bevy. It was just the way it was back then and in truth it's probably a miracle that more lives weren't lost in the crushes that were inevitable with those massive attendances. The Ibrox Disaster in 1971 changed everything, sadly all too late for those Rangers fans who perished on that tragic day.

No more than usual. There were always people collapsing and being gradually moved to the front to get treatment from the Ambulance Services whether it be from illness or exhaustion, crushing, hit by a bottle or just too much bevy. It was just the way it was back then and in truth it's probably a miracle that more lives weren't lost in the crushes that were inevitable with those massive attendances. The Ibrox Disaster in 1971 changed everything, sadly all too late for those Rangers fans who perished on that tragic day.
Too true. The worst occasion for me was a game in 80's at north side Janefield St of Rangers end at the toilet bowl. Even though crowds had been restricted. and stairs not as steep as previous Ibrox there was a big crush at top of stairs and I don't need to say what goes thru your mind and pushing against people to try and keep you feet firmly on the ground but because they didn't have side supports we were able to fall or jump sideways onto the grass banks and slither down. They were way behind in developing their ground

Last edited:
My old man and my uncle Billy ( they were aged 10 and 9 at the time) were at the Hibs semi final in 1948. They remember kids being passed down overhead to the front of the terracing that day due to the crushing.

My old man and my uncle Billy ( they were aged 10 and 9 at the time) were at the Hibs semi final in 1948. They remember kids being passed down overhead to the front of the terracing that day due to the crushing.
Unbelievable attendance of 143,570 that day, a record for a British club match other than a final.

I wasn't aware of that - my experiences at Hampden were relatively ok and at Ibrox me and the other boys were usually told to go down front while the da's drank their cans. We could jump the wall to kick a ball back or run on the ptch when we scored! The biggest danger i always thought was at controversial moments and the half full cans ( not booze :))) were flying overhead.

I’m sure a squad of fans cleared the snow on the day of the game.

It was televised live and the live feed was interrupted by a picture of Christ the Redeemer statue prompting a tirade of abusive phone calls to STV.
Was the tv interruption not the Cup Final when McLuskey scored the deflected goal. Lost 1-0.

The record for Ibrox is 118,567 - these crowds must have been a crazy during and leaving.
Definitely this, the exit stairways & gates were woefully inadequate for those massive crowds and even after the Disaster I remember many crushes leaving Ibrox via Stairway 13 when there was a larger than normal crowd. At times it could be very scary. Sorry for going off topic here.

Definitely this, the exit stairways & gates were woefully inadequate for those massive crowds and even after the Disaster I remember many crushes leaving Ibrox via Stairway 13 when there was a larger than normal crowd. At times it could be very scary. Sorry for going off topic here.
The sheer size of the rattler (East terracing) end at Hampden always fascinated me. Rangers got more tickets for the North enclosure , North Stand, South ( Main ) Stand and south enclosure to make up for the disparity.

After '71 and before new Copland you'll remember they built concrete wall(s) as a kind of baffle to slow the crowd to the top of the stairs - for me not an improvement and never liked it didn't feel safe and stopped using that section.

Definitely the Cologne game but wouldn't surprise me if there was more than one!
I couldn’t argue with you. Just seem to recall coming back from that Cup Final to be told by my mates that the picture had gone off momentarily during the live broadcast and a religious image was shown. Was at the Cologne game as well so might just be my memory letting me down - again!

After '71 and before new Copland you'll remember they built concrete wall(s) as a kind of baffle to slow the crowd to the top of the stairs - for me not an improvement and never liked it didn't feel safe and stopped using that section.
I remember those walls well, as you say not an improvement.

Rangers 0-0 Newcastle United - Fairs Cup SF, 14th May 1969. Andy Penman's penalty is saved by McFaul (a Rangers supporter from Belfast by all accounts) in the first leg at Ibrox:

lSEu26V.jpg

Rangers 4-1 Athletic Bilbao - Fairs Cup QF, 19th March 1969. Rangers were 2-0 up but then Athletic pulled a goal back and John Greig missed a penalty just after half time, but two goals in the last five minutes put Rangers in a commanding position for the 2nd leg in Spain. This was the 4th by Colin Stein, which was vital as we went through on a 4-3 aggregate:

hqt948c.jpg

Too true. The worst occasion for me was a game in 80's at north side Janefield St of Rangers end at the toilet bowl. Even though crowds had been restricted. and stairs not as steep as previous Ibrox there was a big crush at top of stairs and I don't need to say what goes thru your mind and pushing against people to try and keep you feet firmly on the ground but because they didn't have side supports we were able to fall or jump sideways onto the grass banks and slither down. They were way behind in developing their ground
Game was circa October 1982. I remember being lifted off my feet and sh*t myself.

Game was circa October 1982. I remember being lifted off my feet and sh*t myself.
Yeh I could feel that happen the adrenalin came in a wee bit panic and you try to keep weight on on each step and already feelin bad as we got beat.

Is that David Holmes with the grey hair?
I can spot 4 massive, massive blue noses from the Nithsdale Loyal in that photo. I cant remember if he was among the crowd at that game but we met him at Auschwitz before the Gornik game the previous year

Rangers 4-1 Athletic Bilbao - Fairs Cup QF, 19th March 1969. Rangers were 2-0 up but then Athletic pulled a goal back and John Greig missed a penalty just after half time, but two goals in the last five minutes put Rangers in a commanding position for the 2nd leg in Spain. This was the 4th by Colin Stein, which was vital as we went through on a 4-3 aggregate:

hqt948c.jpg
I was at both these games as a youngster,standing in the old shed/Derry for the Newcastle game,I had a bad feeling that Andy Penman was not scoring.The Bilbao game I remember moving round to the celtic end near the end and Perfectly placed to see big Colin scoring a late goal,I can't remember if he scored both or if someone else scored the other one.

Reactions: ao2
I was at both these games as a youngster,standing in the old shed/Derry for the Newcastle game,I had a bad feeling that Andy Penman was not scoring.The Bilbao game I remember moving round to the celtic end near the end and Perfectly placed to see big Colin scoring a late goal,I can't remember if he scored both or if someone else scored the other one.

Orjan Persson scored the 3rd a minute before Stein mate, 86 and 87 minutes!

Back