Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Colin Stein was part of me growing up. Wee bud was my favourite but hey ho.

But for our older pop pickers how did Colin Stein amongst the Rangers support rate against Millar, Brand and Forrest?

But for our older pop pickers how did Colin Stein amongst the Rangers support rate against Millar, Brand and Forrest?
I was talking about that very subject with my 83 yo uncle in Charlie's Bar in Ardrossan yesterday.

His take was that Jimmy Millar was a cleverer player than Stein and that both Brand and Forrest were better finishers.
Colin Stein was a real trier and covered every blade of grass on the pitch as far as he was concerned......and then,of course, the subject as it always does with him got changed to Baxter.

I was talking about that very subject with my 83 yo uncle in Charlie's Bar in Ardrossan yesterday.

His take was that Jimmy Millar was a cleverer player than Stein and that both Brand and Forrest were better finishers.
Colin Stein was a real trier and covered every blade of grass on the pitch as far as he was concerned......and then,of course, the subject as it always does with him got changed to Baxter.
I've never met him but I like your uncle. Those would be good conversations.

Back in the day in The Keystane in Brigton when we still had that wonderful pub, there was a guy called Val. His surname was Valente. Yes he was of Italian extraction. But he went to school with our lot. So he was one of us. Sort of.

It could have been a cultural day but he was talking to my old man in the boozer. Now back then I sat with Tam Bain and John Bradley in the North East corner of The Keystane. People from the toll will know what I mean.

Val said, 'Tommy, I love those two auld geezers but all they ever talk about is Rangers. Your uncle would have been in good company, trust me.

Kai Johansen c.1965/66:

dCWzt7h.jpg
Wee question about Kai. He was not freed by Rangers until May 1971. However played not a single minute of football for Rangers in 70-71.
Any background to why this happened?

Rangers in 1966:

eb9UBWO.jpg
This photo brings it home that only 2 or 3 seasons before, we had Shearer, Caldow, Baxter, McMillan and Brand in our side. Always difficult to replace great players with even better players.

EDIT : I am embarrassed to say I did not mention Jim Baxter in the original post. Mistake rectified and hair shirt now being worn.

Last edited:
Rangers 1-1 Celtic - Scottish Cup Final replay, 17th April 1909. The replay has finished level and there's confusion. Will there be extra time or a 2nd replay? The rules said no extra time until a 3rd game but newspapers had sewn confusion on the morning of the match suggesting extra time if the sides were level and some players linger on the field awaiting confirmation. The crowd, already agitated at another draw (some believed it was a way of getting more money off the fans) are not happy and trouble brews:

1ibXiSR.jpg

Last edited:
Scottish Cup Final replay riot, 17th April 1909. When it becomes clear there isn't going to be any extra time and the players leave the field both sets of fans become incensed and, for the one and only time in history, unite as one and take out their frustrations on the ground, police officers and even firemen sent to quell the flames set after the payboxes were set on fire:

gjTpMbQ.jpg

This photo brings it home that only 2 or 3 seasons before, we had Shearer, Caldow, McMillan and Brand in our side. Always difficult to replace great players with even better players.

Those Rangers teams of the mid to late 60s should have been good enough to win several cups and leagues, not least the league in 1968 and the Cup-Winners Cup in 1967. A mixture of bad decisions on and off the park (not least by the chairman and board), poor luck and the best team that lot ever had put paid to that. But they came desperately close on so many occasions. It's all ifs, buts and maybes though.

It's been quite a while since I've looked at the vintage photos and, as always they're great. This one brings back memories of when I was in my early teens. It was on the cover of an L.P. of Rangers songs issued circa 1967-68, the singer was a guy called Alex McKeown, who, I think, was from the Greenock/Port Glasgow area. My brother and I would have played it constantly - at that time we needed something to keep our spirits up. The photo was taken in Bob Moffatt's Four Step Inn on the Shankill Road in Belfast, I'm guessing it was of members of a supporters club based in that bar. The pub was bombed by the I.R.A. in September 1971, two men were killed and 27 injured. I came across our copy of the album in my loft about two years ago, I must look it out again, brings back great memories of an era when I first got the Rangers bug.

I'd love to know more about that game!

We were winning the first game 2-1 late on when the Rangers keeper Harry Rennie collected the ball with one of their forwards running in towards him. He turned to avoid a clash (in those days you could shoulder charge a keeper over the line and a goal would stand!) and the ref insisted the ball had crossed the line as he did so and gave a goal. Rennie to his dying day insisted it hadn't gone over. The cup was withheld after the riot game and Rangers, who hadn't won the cup since 1903, would have to wait till 1928 to finally win it again.

Back in the day in The Keystane in Brigton when we still had that wonderful pub, there was a guy called Val. His surname was Valente. Yes he was of Italian extraction. But he went to school with our lot. So he was one of us. Sort of.

It could have been a cultural day but he was talking to my old man in the boozer. Now back then I sat with Tam Bain and John Bradley in the North East corner of The Keystane. People from the toll will know what I mean.

Val said, 'Tommy, I love those two auld geezers but all they ever talk about is Rangers. Your uncle would have been in good company, trust me.
Tam was ma wee uncle.

Definitely Somerset Park. After putting out Sporting Lisbon at the beginning of November 1971 Greig vowed he wouldn’t shave while Rangers were still in the Cup Winners Cup. This must be the
game at the end of November with Henderson and Stein scoring in a 2-1 win at Ayr.
I remember John Greig had a cut or injury to his jaw which meant he could not shave. The injury healed but, as you said, he vowed not to shave while we were in the ECWC.

I remember John Greig had a cut or injury to his jaw which meant he could not shave. The injury healed but, as you said, he vowed not to shave while we were in the ECWC.
Did he not cut his chin falling on a bench at Largs or some other Ayrshire training camp? Beards and moustaches would have been banned by Waddell around this time.

This photo brings it home that only 2 or 3 seasons before, we had Shearer, Caldow, Baxter, McMillan and Brand in our side. Always difficult to replace great players with even better players.

EDIT : I am embarrassed to say I did not mention Jim Baxter in the original post. Mistake rectified and hair shirt now being worn.
Add Forrest and McLean to that list,early the following year.

Did he not cut his chin falling on a bench at Largs or some other Ayrshire training camp? Beards and moustaches would have been banned by Waddell around this time.
I cannot remember the exact circumstances of his injury @Sancus. However it must have been a lucky omen for Europe only because there were some grim domestic results that year.

Not 100% sure of the occasion but this looks like after the final whistle of the last league match of the 1959/60 season, Rangers vs Third Lanark.
Rangers lost the game 1-2 and finished 12 points behind champions Hearts and eight behind runners-up Kilmarnock.
Think that's George Young in the foreground, he was manager of Third Lanark at this time.

gn20.png

Edit: This could be Cathkin park? :)

Last edited:
John Greig's beard.......
There was a story in the papers saying that if Rangers won the ECWC Greig would get his beard shaved off in the center circle at Ibrox. That did not happen, instead, about a week later after the final there were pictures in the DR of Greig sitting in a barbers chair getting a shave. It came out later that Greig had done a deal with the DR to get a fee if the DR had exclusive picture rights to him shaving off the beard.

Not 100% sure of the occasion but this looks like after the final whistle of the last league match of the 1959/60 season, Rangers vs Third Lanark.
Rangers lost the game 1-2 and finished 12 points behind champions Hearts and eight behind runners-up Kilmarnock.
Think that's George Young in the foreground, he was manager of Third Lanark at this time.

gn20.png

There was a game at Cathkin in the early 60s my dad spoke about, the gates got stormed and fans flooded in and swarmed on to the pitch.
League Cup tie maybe.

This looks like it.

Hi bud,
is your memory of the original keystane, the lounge of Burn’s bar in James st, or in Landressy st after the move.?
Happy days.

A great question, but not sure of the definitive answer, other than I think it is very much a generation thing, depending on who you grew up with.
I will go further back and cite Max Murray as probably a good example.
His goals to games ratio, was far superior than those immediately before him, like Billy Simpson and Willie Thornton, but despite that, I doubt he was ever loved to the degree that his predecessors were.
Murray's stats at the time, would have him in the Top 5 prolific Goalscorers in our entire history, alongside, R.C Hamilton, Wullie Reid, Jimmy Fleming and Jimmy Smith, but again, despite Murray's goalscoring exploits, I suspect most people from your Dad's generation, would have more love for Simpson and Thornton.
Millar and Brand who never quite reached the Goals to Games that Murray did before them, would still be held in much higher regard than Murray, by those who grew up late 50's/ mid 60's. Then came the teenage sensation that was Jim Forrest, who broke all sorts of scoring records, was two footed, and also a great passer of the ball, but that generation absolutely loved Jimmy Millar, for his all round work rate, effort and toughness, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in their 70's now, who does not still love Jimmy Millar.
Those of us born late 50's/early 60's grew up absolutely worshipping the hype, the price, the instant Hat Tricks, and the all round ability of Colin Stein to a degree that was probably not even afforded world class stars before him in Baxter and Henderson.
Having said that, getting back to your original query, those older pop pickers who would have witnessed Millar, Brand, Forrest and Stein in their prime, I suspect, most of them would have Stein just outside the top 3 of the 4.
Ask the same question in perhaps 15 years or so, when the older pop pickers, have popped their clogs, then you might find that Colin Colin Colin Stein, the greatest Centre Forward the World has ever seen, will be held in much higher esteem.

gn20.png

This is the League Cup tie at Cathkin on 12th August 1961. The official attendance is usually given as 37,000 but the gates were broken down and they reckon around 50,000 were in the ground that day, making it the record attendance for that ground (unofficially). Rangers won 2-0 (it is George Young, the Third Lanark manager at the time, at bottom centre).

Last edited:
Back