Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Yes. Rangers 3 v Celtic 0.
Scottish Premier Division match at Ibrox.
Willie Johnston is surrounded by team-mates Dawson, Bett and McDonald after setting up Rangers third goal.
1st November 1980
The Saturday after the debacle of Chesterfield.

I remember the headlines were of how their new young sensation Charlie Nicholas was going to run riot. He did nothing and got substituted.

FZKzw6ZXwAAwELj

I remember it, so did Provan. Culminating in Peace Process diving to get the wee man red carded at the cesspit in a SC tie when he was with Hearts.
Provan was a cheating, diving wee ****. Then as a pundit, he always wanted divers punished!

Well remember them getting a scandalous penalty at Ibrox on the last day of 1982-83 season when he flew through the air when nobody touched him.

Provan was a cheating, diving wee ****. Then as a pundit, he always wanted divers punished!

Well remember them getting a scandalous penalty at Ibrox on the last day of 1982-83 season when he flew through the air when nobody touched him.
Yea the very same type of pundit he was as a player

I think he harboured a lifelong grudge against Rangers because we didnt sign him (as a Rangers fan himself).

The Saturday after the debacle of Chesterfield.

I remember the headlines were of how their new young sensation Charlie Nicholas was going to run riot. He did nothing and got substituted.
was chesterfield at Ibrox ?
I was only in the old Rangers end twice as a 14 year old before reconstruction

I have vague memories of an Anglo cup game around then and I'm sure we lost

was chesterfield at Ibrox ?
I was only in the old Rangers end twice as a 14 year old before reconstruction

I have vague memories of an Anglo cup game around then and I'm sure we lost
We drew 1-1 at home on a Monday night then lost 3-0 down there.

The Copland and Broomloan stands were both built by then.

Unusual to see him with number 10 and Ralph Brand wearing 7.

We were without both Willie Henderson and Davie Wilson that day. I'd bet nobody in Hampden would have believed it would be Baxter's last Rangers trophy.
That No.10 shirt forced me to go checking :))
I knew he wore the No.10 shirt on his debut, then No.8 in his next game, but I thought thereafter he always wore the No.6 (apart from the once when McKinnon wore it in 62').
Come to find out, he wore the No.10 shirt one week before that League Cup Final, then continued to wear No.10 for the remainder of that season (20 Games) before and after his injury.

My first thought would be it's alluding to Dougie Gray?
I did think the photo pre-dated Dougie’s signing (1925?), but the Light Blues reference is followed by an exclamation mark, indicating the sentence has ended. So that, along with the spelling and capitalisation of Gray, suggests it’s not a misspelt reference to the colour grey and may indeed be Dougie.

I did think the photo pre-dated Dougie’s signing (1925?), but the Light Blues reference is followed by an exclamation mark, indicating the sentence has ended. So that, along with the spelling and capitalisation of Gray, suggests it’s not a misspelt reference to the colour grey and may indeed be Dougie.
As you said, looking at the spelling of the word Gray then Dougie was my initial reaction.

However, a timeline to when the booklet was first published and the subsequent intervals between publications would also help. And that's well above my pay grade and I'm strictly an amateur.

Latest posts

Back