Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

I was at the game, though too young to remember what went on.
Reading some of the reports from that day, Symon had opted to drop our top goalscorer Andy Penman (for Bobby Watson) for the first time, which was a bit of a surprise.
Willie Johnston played on the Right Wing in place of the injured Henderson, with Willoughby at Inside Left.
Apparently, Rangers by all accounts dominated, and created several excellent scoring chances, but missed all of the them.
A frustrated Symon opted to bring on Penman for Willoughby in the second half, which seemed to anger the crowd, as Willoughby appeared to be the only one of our front five that was having a good game.

I guess we have always been a hard crowd to please, given that we were top of the League, undefeated, and had already skelped the filth at Ibrox.

We actually went 54 League games between early Dec 1966, and late April 1968, suffering only one defeat in that time, which is seriously impressive, but the success that mob across the city were having, only compounded to our misery.
This indeed was at the very core of our unrest!

That railed fence is similar to the one that was at White Hart Lane but I wasn't at that game. I have since found this coloured pic of same.
This coloured image looks weird. Looks as though it could be 2 pics emerged into one. Very strange indeed! Maybe @AndythephotoDr could give his opinion on the pic.
Either that or I have a doppelganger who had the same flag :oops:
Obligatory King Billy in attendance B-D

I'm trying to name them all L to R.

Back Row, Munro, Spackman, Brown, Ferguson, Don't know, Dodds, Walters, Tom Cowan??, Robertson, Durrant, McCoist, Johnston.

Front Row, L to R, Woods, Nisbet, Steven, Woods, Ginsburg.

Need help with don't know on the back row and confirmation or otherwise on Cowan.
Terry Butcher between Steven & Ginsburg!

I was in attendance at this game too, with my father, though like you I was too young to remember the details. I do recall the booing when Willoughby was taken off. And it was the first time I'd ever been to Ibrox and NOT seen Rangers winning! Getting back home to Mallaig, we were shocked - really shocked - to learn of Scot Symon's sacking. My father wrote a letter to Symon, expressing his commiserations, and received a return letter from Scot Symon thanking him for the kind thoughts. Wish I still had the letter, lost in the mists of time...

Anybody know what the reference to ‘grays’ (greys?) is?
My first thought would be it's alluding to Dougie Gray?
I'm going to hazard a guess here, with it being plural, that it might be referring to both
Dougie Gray and Davie Gray.
Having been virtually an ever present in the Rangers side for 20 Years (1925-45).
The start of the 1945-45 campaign saw Dougie Gray being phased out of the team, and replaced by Davie Gray at Right Back, a player we signed from Lochee Harp.
Dougie Gray played in 9 games that season, all in the first half of the campaign, with Davie Gray coming into the side in October, and registering 27 appearances that season, all at Right Back.
The following season 1946-47 Dougie Gray made only 2 appearances (both in the Glasgow Cup), and Davie Gray got 12 appearances (in our opening 13 League and League Cup ties), playing his last game on Oct 5th. Thereafter, it was George Young who would occupy that Right Back slot.
Although both Dougie and Davie Gray were at Ibrox together for those two seasons, they were never in the same side.

Davie Gray went on to have a decent career in England, first with Preston North End (1947-48)
(pictured below, directly behind Bill Shankly), and then onto Blackburn Rovers where he made over 200 appearances for them, between 1948-53.

DfabYwYWAAEulL6

I'm going to hazard a guess here, with it being plural, that it might be referring to both
Having been virtually an ever present in the Rangers side for 20 Years (1925-45).
The start of the 1945-45 campaign saw Dougie Gray being phased out of the team, and replaced by Davie Gray at Right Back, a player we signed from Lochee Harp.
Dougie Gray played in 9 games that season, all in the first half of the campaign, with Davie Gray coming into the side in October, and registering 27 appearances that season, all at Right Back.
The following season 1946-47 Dougie Gray made only 2 appearances (both in the Glasgow Cup), and Davie Gray got 12 appearances (in our opening 13 League and League Cup ties), playing his last game on Oct 5th. Thereafter, it was George Young who would occupy that Right Back slot.
Although both Dougie and Davie Gray were at Ibrox together for those two seasons, they were never in the same side.

Davie Gray went on to have a decent career in England, first with Preston North End (1947-48)
(pictured below, directly behind Bill Shankly), and then onto Blackburn Rovers where he made over 200 appearances for them, between 1948-53.

DfabYwYWAAEulL6
I think that could well be the case.

However a date for the publication of this edition would certainly give us a marker.

DfabYwYWAAEulL6
Not disputing your superior knowledge, but is the cover of the publication highlighted on the cover of the magazine not turn of the 20th century? Would Davie Gray’s short Rangers career warrant such attention?

I'm trying to name them all L to R.

Back Row, Munro, Spackman, Brown, Ferguson, Don't know, Dodds, Walters, Tom Cowan??, Robertson, Durrant, McCoist, Johnston.

Front Row, L to R, Woods, Nisbet, Steven, Woods, Ginsburg.

Need help with don't know on the back row and confirmation or otherwise on Cowan.
Think that’s Chris Vinnicombe next to Walters

East Enclosure was brilliant that day.
Souness taking the piss outta' Dumbo is a great memory.
Our bus had a new driver that day and he took us to the Celtic end of the stadium before realising his mistake. By the time he got us away from there, the bus had hardly any windows left. Glass everywhere, thankfully nobody hurt.

As it was New Year, the bus company couldn't send a replacement, so we went home in a blizzard with snow and hail blowing through the bus. Felt about -20.
Didn't stop us all singing though!

Back