Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

But why would he be there in 1962 and at such close range to Eric Caldow?

I thought he had retired from Rangers after the 60 SC final, or did he stay on as a coach? That one I don't know.
Was he the Scotland manager by that time?
Ian McColl was named as Scotland's manager on Nov 3rd 1960, whilst he was still a Rangers Player, though his last appearance for Rangers was in May 1960 against Third Lanark.
He was Scotland's manager until the summer of 1965, when he took the Sunderland job
(and signed Jim Baxter).
His win record as Scotland's Manager is at 60%, which is still the highest win percentage of any Scottish Manager.
I have no idea why he was there, other than as Scotland's Manager.
The previous week Scotland had beaten England 2-0 at Hampden, and McColl had selected Alex Scott, despite the fact he was now plying his trade in Rangers Reserves, whilst Henderson was turning in another man of the match performance in the that Scottish Cup Final.
McColl did give the 18 year old Henderson his Scotland debut 2 games later in October at Cardiff, with Henderson scoring the winner in a 3-2 victory against the Welsh, cutting in from the right and slamming a left foot drive inside the far post.

Getting back to that Scottish Cup Final against St Mirren in 62'.
We had already won the League Cup back in December, and had just two League games to play after the SCF, to clinch the Treble.
We were 1 point ahead of Dundee (and we had a much better Goal Average), with both teams having 2 games to play.
At the end of January they had a 6 point lead over us with 21 games played.
Since then we had gained 7 points more than them, and were favourites to collect that Treble.
Sadly, we went to Pittodrie midweek, and lost 0-1, and were held 1-1 at home to Kilmarnock three days later, with Dundee winning both their games, and taking the Title by 3 points.

Although it was not yet recognised as official, the Scottish Football Writers voted Davy Wilson as their Player of the Year for the 1961-62 season.
Wilson had scored 29 Goals in 53 games, for Rangers,
including Six in one game in a 7-1 win at Brockville.
Four days after that six goal haul Wilson scored a Hat Trick for the Scottish League against the English League in a 4-3 win at Villa Park.
Wilson also scored the opener in a 2-0 win v England, which was Scotland's first win at Hampden against the auld enemy in 25 years.

1962041405.jpg

Harrold Davies and Alex scott in that pic were soon to be replaced by John Grieg And Wee Wuillie Henderson,altho seeing all of them think the latter 2 made up my finest Rangers team?

Rangers 1-1 Hibernian, 28th February 1987. I was at this game but have no memory of the fire in the Main Stand (a flare?)!

My memories of this game are of Alan Rough playing out of his skin for them (as he often did against Rangers, not so against the scum) but us still going top that day as they lost 4-1 at Dens Park after being ahead at half-time. We never lost the lead the rest of the season and won the league for the first time in 9 years:

1mRpGqF.jpg

Hibs fans were allocated a section of the Main Stand. They caused bother for much of the match including lighting a flare which damaged seats.
They were never situated in there again.

Ian McColl was named as Scotland's manager on Nov 3rd 1960, whilst he was still a Rangers Player, though his last appearance for Rangers was in May 1960 against Third Lanark.
He was Scotland's manager until the summer of 1965, when he took the Sunderland job
(and signed Jim Baxter).
His win record as Scotland's Manager is at 60%, which is still the highest win percentage of any Scottish Manager.
I have no idea why he was there, other than as Scotland's Manager.
The previous week Scotland had beaten England 2-0 at Hampden, and McColl had selected Alex Scott, despite the fact he was now plying his trade in Rangers Reserves, whilst Henderson was turning in another man of the match performance in the that Scottish Cup Final.
McColl did give the 18 year old Henderson his Scotland debut 2 games later in October at Cardiff, with Henderson scoring the winner in a 3-2 victory against the Welsh, cutting in from the right and slamming a left foot drive inside the far post.

Getting back to that Scottish Cup Final against St Mirren in 62'.
We had already won the League Cup back in December, and had just two League games to play after the SCF, to clinch the Treble.
We were 1 point ahead of Dundee (and we had a much better Goal Average), with both teams having 2 games to play.
At the end of January they had a 6 point lead over us with 21 games played.
Since then we had gained 7 points more than them, and were favourites to collect that Treble.
Sadly, we went to Pittodrie midweek, and lost 0-1, and were held 1-1 at home to Kilmarnock three days later, with Dundee winning both their games, and taking the Title by 3 points.

Although it was not yet recognised as official, the Scottish Football Writers voted Davy Wilson as their Player of the Year for the 1961-62 season.
Wilson had scored 29 Goals in 53 games, for Rangers,
including Six in one game in a 7-1 win at Brockville.
Four days after that six goal haul Wilson scored a Hat Trick for the Scottish League against the English League in a 4-3 win at Villa Park.
Wilson also scored the opener in a 2-0 win v England, which was Scotland's first win at Hampden against the auld enemy in 25 years.

1962041405.jpg
First Scotland v England game for me. I’m sure Eric Caldow scored the 2nd with a penalty.

I'm curious to know where/what this photo is from.
I don't think Harold Davis ever played for Scotland, or the Scottish League XI?
He only ever made the reserve list for Scotland. I take it that is the same as a squad player nowadays and the photo was taken when he was part of the squad/list.

I'm curious to know where/what this photo is from.
I don't think Harold Davis ever played for Scotland, or the Scottish League XI?
It's a strange one because I cant recall or find any reference either of them playing together for Scotland unless part of a squad. Have no info of the pics origin.

It's a strange one because I cant recall or find any reference either of them playing together for Scotland unless part of a squad. Have no info of the pics origin.
He only ever made the reserve list for Scotland. I take it that is the same as a squad player nowadays and the photo was taken when he was part of the squad/list.
I'm still struggling with that.
I can only imagine Davis being in a Scotland squad, well before Greig made his mark.
John Greig won his first call up to the Scottish League XI in Sept 63', by which time Harold Davis was was turning out for the Reserves.
After the New Year game in 63', Davis only got a couple of appearances at the end of that 62-63 campaign, after the League was already wrapped up.
He did not feature in the 63-64 season, apart from a six game run he got at the end of Dec through the middle of January.
Greig won his first full cap in April 64', by which time Harold Davis no longer featured in the Rangers side, and he signed for Partick Thistle on May 1st 1964.
Between 1960 and 64, that right half position for Scotland was taken by either Pat Crerand or Dave MacKay, and when either of them were unavailable, Frank McLintock was the only other player who seemed to get a look in.

I'm Baffled :confused:

Got to be someone out there who has the answer to this

I can only imagine Davis being in a Scotland squad, well before Greig made his mark.
John Greig won his first call up to the Scottish League XI in Sept 63', by which time Harold Davis was was turning out for the Reserves.
After the New Year game in 63', Davis only got a couple of appearances at the end of that 62-63 campaign, after the League was already wrapped up.
He did not feature in the 63-64 season, apart from a six game run he got at the end of Dec through the middle of January.
Greig won his first full cap in April 64', by which time Harold Davis no longer featured in the Rangers side, and he signed for Partick Thistle on May 1st 1964.
Between 1960 and 64, that right half position for Scotland was taken by either Pat Crerand or Dave MacKay, and when either of them were unavailable, Frank McLintock was the only other player who seemed to get a look in.

Out of the leftfield here.

Could HD have been roped in by Ian McColl to help in a backroom capacity, even on an occasional basis?

Could HD have been roped in by Ian McColl to help in a backroom capacity, even on an occasional basis?
That thought did cross my mind, but I can't find anything to back that up.
I also wondered if he might have got roped in by Bobby Brown during his Scotland tenure.
Davis had a three year spell as Manager/Coach of Queens Park, before Davie White brought him back to Ibrox as assistant coach in Sept 69', just two months before White was sacked.
I don't think Davis lasted much longer, he had no time for Willie Waddell, by all accounts.

That thought did cross my mind, but I can't find anything to back that up.
I also wondered if he might have got roped in by Bobby Brown during his Scotland tenure.
Davis had a three year spell as Manager/Coach of Queens Park, before Davie White brought him back to Ibrox as assistant coach in Sept 69', just two months before White was sacked.
I don't think Davis lasted much longer, he had no time for Willie Waddell, by all accounts.
Good shout. Bobby Brown was Scotland manager 1967-71.

Suppose the photo was taken in 1967, Greig would have been 25, Davis 44. Looking at the photo, they would have fitted into these age brackets (purely my opinion, of course)

The info stated it was Harold Davis and I thought so too but there is a strong resemblance to Dave Mackay there :oops:

Was Harold Davis not involved in a coaching capacity at Queens Park? Maybe the photo is at Lesser Hampden which would back up @wee bud's pit boots thoughts.
That is possible, though Davis didn't join up at Queens Park as Manager/Coach until 1965, after he finished playing for Partick Thistle, which was about the same time as when Ian McColl left the Scotland job, and went to Sunderland.
Davis was still at Queens Park, when Bobby Brown took over as Scotland's manager in 67', so that is also a possibility.

The mystery continues :))

Was Harold Davis not involved in a coaching capacity at Queens Park? Maybe the photo is at Lesser Hampden which would back up @wee bud's pit boots thoughts.
Strangely enough, we are talking about the only three players who held that Right Half position at Rangers for a period of 28 years from 1946 until 1974.
That is quite Incredible!

According to Bobby Brown's autobiography "A Life in Football", he called up 3 extra assistant trainers for a World Cup qualifier against Denmark in Copenhagen in October 1968. They were John Cumming of Hearts, Tom McNiven (no club mentioned), and Harold Davis of Queens Park.

John Greig played in the match.

Could be from a training session for that game.

According to Bobby Brown's autobiography "A Life in Football", he called up 3 extra assistant trainers for a World Cup qualifier against Denmark in Copenhagen in October 1968. They were John Cumming of Hearts, Tom McNiven (no club mentioned), and Harold Davis of Queens Park.

I knew you would come up with the goodies.
That explains it perfectly.

The game v Denmark was a friendly to prepare us for the WC Qualifier in 3 weeks time v Austria.
We were in the same group as West Germany and Austria to get to Mexico 70'.
Bobby Brown seemed to be preparing us well for the task ahead, and though Scotland won 1-0 in Copenhagen, they were heavily criticised in the press, and given little chance of beating the Austrians.
Scotland duly beat them 2-1, coming back from a goal down after only 2 mins.
A great quote from the Evening Times
"I praise the players for the comeback after the loss of that early goal- a 30 yard piece of speculation by left half Starek, that astonishingly beat Ronnie Simpson before he had his circulation going properly''

Goals from Law in the 7th min, and the winner from Bremner in the 76th min sent the 80,000 plus crowd home happy.
The Team.
Simpson,
Gemmell McKinnon McCreadie
Bremner Greig Cooke
Johnstone Lennox Law Hughes
Subs. Gilzean (Law).

In other news that week, the previous Saturday saw new Rangers signing, Colin Stein, score a Hat Trick in a 4 minute spell on his debut at Arbroath.
The following Saturday saw Colin Stein welcomed to Ibrox, and a superstar was born, another Hat Trick in a 6-1 demolition of Hibernian, the club he had just departed.
St Johnstone Inside Forward, Alex MacDonald handed in a transfer request. Newcastle Utd and Derby County, who have already had bids rejected, look set to battle for his signature.
Charlton Athletic offer £50,000 for Alex Ferguson.
Alex MacDonald would sign for Rangers on Nov 19th for £50,000.

Those Were The Days was No.1 in the charts :D

I’ve said it before - no question goes unanswered in this thread.

I knew you would come up with the goodies.
That explains it perfectly.

The game v Denmark was a friendly to prepare us for the WC Qualifier in 3 weeks time v Austria.
We were in the same group as West Germany and Austria to get to Mexico 70'.
Bobby Brown seemed to be preparing us well for the task ahead, and though Scotland won 1-0 in Copenhagen, they were heavily criticised in the press, and given little chance of beating the Austrians.
Scotland duly beat them 2-1, coming back from a goal down after only 2 mins.
A great quote from the Evening Times
"I praise the players for the comeback after the loss of that early goal- a 30 yard piece of speculation by left half Starek, that astonishingly beat Ronnie Simpson before he had his circulation going properly''

Goals from Law in the 7th min, and the winner from Bremner in the 76th min sent the 80,000 plus crowd home happy.
The Team.
Simpson,
Gemmell McKinnon McCreadie
Bremner Greig Cooke
Johnstone Lennox Law Hughes
Subs. Gilzean (Law).

In other news that week, the previous Saturday saw new Rangers signing, Colin Stein, score a Hat Trick in a 4 minute spell on his debut at Arbroath.
The following Saturday saw Colin Stein welcomed to Ibrox, and a superstar was born, another Hat Trick in a 6-1 demolition of Hibernian, the club he had just departed.
St Johnstone Inside Forward, Alex MacDonald handed in a transfer request. Newcastle Utd and Derby County, who have already had bids rejected, look set to battle for his signature.
Charlton Athletic offer £50,000 for Alex Ferguson.
Alex MacDonald would sign for Rangers on Nov 19th for £50,000.

Those Were The Days was No.1 in the charts :D
Mo, I have a question.

You know how back in the day, ye olde London Bridge or The Queen Mary was dismantled bit by bit and rebuilt somewhere back in America?

Well, in a similar vein, have you got your own version of The Glasgow Room in the Mitchell Library or your own version of 'HAL 9000' set up in your man cave to bring us up do date back here on FF?

PS, and reward yourself with an Apple for getting the No1 right.

Back