Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

These are the photos you're after mate. Sorry they're not great as they're in the book across 2 pages in most cases.

A series of photos showing Tom Forsyth's winning goal in the Scottish Cup Final, 5th May 1973:

2hs7qts.jpg

15ozeky.jpg

rstzsn.jpg

14kbexh.jpg

2gwf1uo.jpg

14xz1gk.jpg

1675wk5.jpg

6h3jvc.jpg

292nur9.jpg

dpva0j.jpg

20pvlli.jpg

2qut27t.jpg

That is amazing to see how much of the South Stand is taken up with Rangers fans at this Cup Final.

As I've said many times. The scum can only dream about having a fan base the size of ours. We truly are the Kings of The Big Crowd

No mate, it was the August 1971 match that was a "home" game for them. The piggery was being upgraded (don't laugh :D) so both section matches were played at Ibrox. Sadly it didn't help us as we lost both :(

We played the scum three times in two weeks at Ibrox.
2 cup and one league.
Lost the 3 of them.
2-0 3-0 and 3-2.
Nightmare.

Third Lanark 2-4 Rangers, 1st October 1960. Thirds had a great season in 1960/61, finishing (appropriately!) 3rd behind Rangers and Kilmarnock in the league. Both league matches between the clubs produced no less than 13 goals, with this one from Ralph Brand coming in the game at Cathkin Park. Sadly Thirds would be relegated in 1965 and go out of business completely in 1967:

2qmp1xu.jpg

We played the scum three times in two weeks at Ibrox.
2 cup and one league.
Lost the 3 of them.
2-0 3-0 and 3-2.
Nightmare.

Yep, and then lost in the New Year game at the piggery. To be fair we were unlucky in both league matches that season (both goals we lost by were in the last minute, and Colin Stein had a good one disallowed in the Ibrox game), but Willie Waddell's record wasn't good against them, 1970 League Cup Final apart.

These are the photos you're after mate. Sorry they're not great as they're in the book across 2 pages in most cases.

A series of photos showing Tom Forsyth's winning goal in the Scottish Cup Final, 5th May 1973:

2hs7qts.jpg

15ozeky.jpg

rstzsn.jpg

14kbexh.jpg

2gwf1uo.jpg

14xz1gk.jpg

1675wk5.jpg

6h3jvc.jpg

292nur9.jpg

dpva0j.jpg

20pvlli.jpg

2qut27t.jpg
Thanks very much for your time scanning these photos ao2. It has been many years since I have seen these. In addition to seeing the goal, the crowd scenes are fantastic. There is a guy at the front of the stand who starts to get out of his seat as DJ headers the ball. Throughout the build up, he was up and down in his seat as the ball hits one post then the other before big Forsyth scores.

Not a movement from the woman wearing the hood ten or seats along throughout the series of photos too. Great stuff.

Thanks very much for your time scanning these photos ao2. It has been many years since I have seen these. In addition to seeing the goal, the crowd scenes are fantastic. There is a guy at the front of the stand who starts to get out of his seat as DJ headers the ball. Throughout the build up, he was up and down in his seat as the ball hits one post then the other before big Forsyth scores.

Not a movement from the woman wearing the hood ten or seats along throughout the series of photos too. Great stuff.

My pleasure mate :)

Crowd given as 27,569! Looks a bit more than that.

Both 'The Rangers Football Companion' and 'Rangers: The Complete Record' give the crowd as 50,000. 'The Evening Times' of the day of the match gives an estimated attendance of 45,000:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2mus-XyGPC0C&dat=19650213&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Even those attendances look too small as the stadium looks pretty packed. I think the source of the 27,569 is the London Hearts website and there's no way that's correct.

It’s a very precise figure rather than a rounded 28,000, which makes me suspect it’s official rather than a guess.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964–65_Rangers_F.C._season

There's no way that's the correct figure. The newspapers of the day give 45,000 t0 50,000 and even they don't look correct going by the packed terraces. Hearts were top at the time and, though we were 5th and 8pts behind (2pts for a win then of course), we still had 3 games in hand. The weather also looks perfect for February so I can't believe that figure is correct. I suspect someone has made a typo error.

Both 'The Rangers Football Companion' and 'Rangers: The Complete Record' give the crowd as 50,000. 'The Evening Times' of the day of the match gives an estimated attendance of 45,000:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2mus-XyGPC0C&dat=19650213&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Even those attendances look too small as the stadium looks pretty packed. I think the source of the 27,569 is the London Hearts website and there's no way that's correct.
Easily over 50,000 that day .Wikipedia has loads of mistakes regarding crowds.

Reactions: ao2
Rangers closest rivals in the early 1960s were not Celtic (they weren't even at the races), but Kilmarnock and, to a lesser extent, Dundee. Here Killie put Gers under pressure in the League Cup Final on 29th October 1960, but Gers deservedly won the cup 2-0. Kilmarnock would be runners up in the league in 1960, 1961, 1963 and 1964, as well as the Scottish Cup in 1960 and the League Cup in 1960/61 and 1962/63. They finally won the League Championship in 1965:

f35hkm.jpg

izwy81.jpg

Rangers set up yet another record attendance, this time 25,225, at Somerset Park, Ayr, on 13th September 1969:

e0hm9v.jpg

m7wd4k.jpg

2qn0doz.jpg

Middle picture of the three.
Would love to get that picture really blown up.
Would be able to see myself when I had hair.
Planted on the track by the old man and told don't move.
Only place I could have moved to was on to the park.

It must have been exciting to have seen the plans for the new stadium, before the work started. Ibrox looked very different and it was obviously going to be something radical for its time.

Morton 1-2 Rangers, 20th November 1971 - a game played in blizzard conditions!:

2hgz9zl.jpg
I remember being at that game standing on the terracing (not Little Dublin) behind the goal. Absolutely freezing that day. I had never seen conditions so bad at the football. The Morton groundsmen were kept busy at half time clearing the lines. Well worth the effort for the Rangers win.

Third Lanark 2-4 Rangers, 1st October 1960. Thirds had a great season in 1960/61, finishing (appropriately!) 3rd behind Rangers and Kilmarnock in the league. Both league matches between the clubs produced no less than 13 goals, with this one from Ralph Brand coming in the game at Cathkin Park. Sadly Thirds would be relegated in 1965 and go out of business completely in 1967:

2qmp1xu.jpg

That particular season (1960-61), and probably the only time it has ever happened,
Third Lanark scored over 100 Goals, and conceded over 100 Goals.

122-103 (League 100-80, LC 12-10, SC 10-13)

Third Lanark 2-4 Rangers, 1st October 1960. Davie Wilson is brought down in the box and it's a penalty for Gers, scored by Ralph Brand:

1q019u.jpg

I have a Canadian relative who talks of his dad bringing him over to Scotland in the early 60s and taking him to a Rangers v Third Lanark game where the crowd was so big they burst through the gates.
Was this the game?

Last edited:
Rangers 3-2 Celtic, Scottish Cup Final, 5th May 1973. Derek Johnstone's header hits the post, rebounds along the line and hits the other. Tom Forsyth is perfectly placed to force the ball over the line for the winner:

muze4g.jpg
The ball looks well over the line in that photo.

Back