Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

The ball looks well over the line in that photo.
Agreed but the series of photos posted by ao2 recently shows that after hitting the post from big Derek’s header, the ball spun out by a couple of yards and then curved back to hit the second post.

It has always annoyed me when people talk about the goal being a toe poke. Big Tam had to adjust his run, direction and feet to get to the ball. I am just happy he was there to score the winner and I was there to celebrate.

Agreed but the series of photos posted by ao2 recently shows that after hitting the post from big Derek’s header, the ball spun out by a couple of yards and then curved back to hit the second post.

It has always annoyed me when people talk about the goal being a toe poke. Big Tam had to adjust his run, direction and feet to get to the ball. I am just happy he was there to score the winner and I was there to celebrate.
I often wonder how high that goal ranks in terms of most iconic goals. I know it wasn't a great goal in terms of distance, but is there a more famous goal? I would guess I've seen that goal more than any goal; yet it was scored years before I first went to Ibrox.

I often wonder how high that goal ranks in terms of most iconic goals. I know it wasn't a great goal in terms of distance, but is there a more famous goal? I would guess I've seen that goal more than any goal; yet it was scored years before I first went to Ibrox.
JMCK : the goal was obviously so important in the context of winning the game. However, I have it in mind we won at Bayview against East Fife in December 1972 and Celtic dropped an unexpected point or points at Parkhead on the same day. We beat them at the Ne’erday game with a last minute winner from Alfie Conn. For the remainder of the 72-73 season, we were winning and they were dropping points.

We just failed to win the league that season but the Cup Final was a fitting end to the season. There seemed to be light at the end of a very dark tunnel and although the 1973-74 season was a big disappointment, 1974-75 was the season when we finally won the league again.

So to return to your initial point, Big Forsyth’s winner not only was so important for the Cup Final, it gave us real hope that Celtic’s domination was soon to end. And it did.

JMCK : the goal was obviously so important in the context of winning the game. However, I have it in mind we won at Bayview against East Fife in December 1972 and Celtic dropped an unexpected point or points at Parkhead on the same day. We beat them at the Ne’erday game with a last minute winner from Alfie Conn. For the remainder of the 72-73 season, we were winning and they were dropping points.

We just failed to win the league that season but the Cup Final was a fitting end to the season. There seemed to be light at the end of a very dark tunnel and although the 1973-74 season was a big disappointment, 1974-75 was the season when we finally won the league again.

So to return to your initial point, Big Forsyth’s winner not only was so important for the Cup Final, it gave us real hope that Celtic’s domination was soon to end. And it did.
Great post, thank you; really appreciated that.

Celtic 2-4 Rangers, 14th September 1968. Orjan Persson and Colin Jackson in action on a joy day for Rangers at the piggery:

6z7bdc.jpg

6edbix.jpg

My first OF game,aged 6 and 3 months. I only got to go because my big cousin came down with mumps on the Saturday morning.

I remember being at that game standing on the terracing (not Little Dublin) behind the goal. Absolutely freezing that day. I had never seen conditions so bad at the football. The Morton groundsmen were kept busy at half time clearing the lines. Well worth the effort for the Rangers win.

There's been a few games in terrible conditions down there.
One in particular around 1979 was played in a sleet storm and I got totally drenched. We won 2-0, I think Kenny Watson may have scored.

I have a Canadian relative who talks of his dad bringing him over to Scotland in the early 60s and taking him to a Rangers v Third Lanark game where the crowd was so big they burst through the gates.
Was this the game?

No mate, that was a League Cup game the following season and Rangers won 2-0. The official attendance was 37,000 at Cathkin but thousands got in for free when the gates were forced and they reckon there were around 50,000 in there that day. I've got a photo or two from that match and will scan them tomorrow.

We came from 7 points behind just before Christmas to being neck and neck as the closing weeks of the season approached. After losing at home to Hearts in December the only points dropped were in 2 draws with Aberdeen. We missed the league by just that one point so to beat them in the Cup Final was massive as you say.

We came from 7 points behind just before Christmas to being neck and neck as the closing weeks of the season approached. After losing at home to Hearts in December the only points dropped were in 2 draws with Aberdeen. We missed the league by just that one point so to beat them in the Cup Final was massive as you say.

Dropped a point at Pittodrie in the penultimate match in a 2-2 draw after being 1 up.

Reactions: ao2
What went wrong the following season, albeit we won the league after that; was a transition still happening?

No mate, that was a League Cup game the following season and Rangers won 2-0. The official attendance was 37,000 at Cathkin but thousands got in for free when the gates were forced and they reckon there were around 50,000 in there that day. I've got a photo or two from that match and will scan them tomorrow.

That would be great, I'll send him the pictures.

Cheers ao2 : two points for the win in those days so including their probable better goal difference before Christmas, the gap was equivalent to four games. I was at Pittodrie for the penultimate game : Zoltan Varga’s name is etched in my mind as scoring that sunny but so disappointing day. Our goal difference was poorer than Celtic’s (I think) so even if we won at Aberdeen, we still needed Hibs to take something from them on the final day.

Colin Stein and Willie Johnston were sold around October 1972. After Alfie Conn was sold a year later, the balance of the team was wrong on reflection. Ally Scott replaced Conn and while Scott seemed as decent guy, he was not an improvement on Conn imo. Doug Houston was also bought from Dundee at the start of 73-74 season. He had been a good player for Dundee but it did not work for him at Ibrox.

It was just not meant to be in 73-74 I suppose.

Cheers ao2 : two points for the win in those days so including their probable better goal difference before Christmas, the gap was equivalent to four games. I was at Pittodrie for the penultimate game : Zoltan Varga’s name is etched in my mind as scoring that sunny but so disappointing day. Our goal difference was poorer than Celtic’s (I think) so even if we won at Aberdeen, we still needed Hibs to take something from them on the final day.

Hibs were a good side then and had at one point seemed a bigger challenge to them in the league that season than we did, especially when they beat them in the League Cup Final just before Christmas. We had every reason to think they could beat them at Easter Road but it wasn't to be (the scum won 3-0), though we did our bit by winning against East Fife. The Cup was a good consolation though, especially as it was such a cracking match.

Here you go mate, I managed to find them tonight. You can see Thirds manager and Gers legend George Young at the bottom centre of the 2nd photo.

Third Lanark 0-2 Rangers, League Cup, 12th August 1961:

2wmkwn4.jpg

2wpsf3a.jpg

ohlime.jpg

Brilliant.
I don't know where you get all these incredible images from our unsurpassed history, but really glad you have them.

Brilliant.
I don't know where you get all these incredible images from our unsurpassed history, but really glad you have them.

I never threw out all my old books, magazines and programmes lol. I enjoy sharing them and I'm chuffed you and the others get a kick from them too mate :)

You've got to laugh at the two policemen trying to keep hundreds of Bears back at the gates :D

Rangers 1-0 Celtic, 2nd January 1969. A rarity this as Fallon actually makes a save, this one from Colin Stein, as Gers do the double over the scum in
2ai26pu.jpg

Why were we never able to win the league around this time @ao2?

Davie White's teams seemed to more than hold their own with them, 69 Final aside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rangers 1-0 Aberdeen, Scottish Cup QF, 6th March 1971. Colin Jackson scores the only goal of the match as Gers knock out the holders at Ibrox. Willie Johnston is first to congratulate him as Aberdeen keeper Clark sits this one out:

2h7dhjc.jpg

n49lqb.jpg

Rangers 2-2 Moscow Dynamo, 28th November 1945. Both sides had agreed before this match that substitutes would be allowed (they didn't come in officially for another 20 years). However, the Soviet team didn't exactly play to the rules and this is the famous moment where Torry Gillick (between the two Russians next to the ref) approached the official to inform him the opposition had 12 players on the pitch :D:

2ir0ynb.jpg

Rangers 4-0 Celtic, Scottish Cup Final, 14th April 1928. McStay handles on the line (many people thought the ball had already crossed the line) and it's a penalty for Rangers, famously scored by the great Davie Meiklejohn. Quite why no photo of the penalty itself to my knowledge exists is beyond me, as surely that is the one goal that SHOULD have been a certainty to be caught on camera?!:

11udzk1.jpg

Rangers 4-0 Celtic, Scottish Cup Final, 14th April 1928. Just as famous as Davie Meiklejohn's penalty and one of the most important saves in Rangers history, Tom Hamilton turns away this pile-driver from Connolly and keeps the score at 0-0 in the first-half when Celtic had the wind and the pressure in their favour:

dvpzwj.jpg

Why were we never able to win the league around this time @ao2?

Davie White's teams seemed to more than hold their own with them, 69 Final aside.

I wish I knew. We had a fine team but for a multitude of reasons we fell short. Sometimes bad luck, sometimes terrible decisions by those upstairs (not least selling Forrest and McLean after Berwick, dropping Willoughby before the Cup-Winners Cup Final and putting Hynd up from instead) and basically panicking post-Lisbon. There's no doubt that Celtic team was a great side but those Rangers teams should certainly have been good enough to win some of the competitions we lost out on.

I wish I knew. We had a fine team but for a multitude of reasons we fell short. Sometimes bad luck, sometimes terrible decisions by those upstairs (not least selling Forrest and McLean after Berwick, dropping Willoughby before the Cup-Winners Cup Final and putting Hynd up from instead) and basically panicking post-Lisbon. There's no doubt that Celtic team was a great side but those Rangers teams should certainly have been good enough to win some of the competitions we lost out on.

I'd love to know what White's head to head record was against Stein?

Far better than Waddell's I'd wager.

Not a dig at Waddell, but White definitely seemed to get decent success against Stein.

I'd love to know what White's head to head record was against Stein?

Far better than Waddell's I'd wager.

Not a dig at Waddell, but White definitely seemed to get decent success against Stein.

Davie White's record v them:

2nd January 1968 a 2-2 draw at the piggery (League)
10th August 1968 a 0-2 defeat at Ibrox (League Cup)
24th August 1968 a 0-1 defeat at the piggery (League Cup)
14th September 1968 a 4-2 win at the piggery (League)
2nd January 1969 a 1-0 win at Ibrox (League)
11th April 1969 a 4-3 win at the piggery (Glasgow Cup SF)
26th April 1969 a 0-4 defeat at Hampden (Scottish Cup Final)
13th August 1969 a 2-1 win at Ibrox (League Cup)
20th August 1969 a 0-1 defeat at the piggery (League Cup)
20th September 1969 a 0-1 defeat at Ibrox (League)

P10 W4 D1 L5

Willie Waddell's record v them:

3rd January 1970 a 0-0 draw at the piggery (League)
21st February 1970 a 1-3 defeat at the piggery (Scottish Cup QF)
10th August 1970 a 1-3 defeat at Hampden (Glasgow Cup Final)
12th September 1970 a 0-2 defeat at the piggery (League)
24th October 1970 a 1-0 win at Hampden (League Cup Final)
2nd January 1971 a 1-1 draw at Ibrox (League)
8th May 1971 a 1-1 draw at Hampden (Scottish Cup Final)
12th May 1971 a 1-2 defeat at Hampden (Scottish Cup Final replay)
14th August 1971 a 0-2 defeat at Ibrox (League Cup) - this was techinically a home game for the scum
28th August 1971 a 0-3 defeat at Ibrox (League Cup)
11th September 1971 a 2-3 defeat at Ibrox (League)
3rd January 1972 a 1-2 defeat at the piggery (League)

P12 W1 D3 L8

It's pretty clear that Davie White's record was better. We did start to win cups again under Willie Waddell but the league record was pretty deplorable in both his full seasons in charge. The Cup-Winners Cup was ample compensation mind!

Back