Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Rangers 3-2 Celtic, Scottish Cup Final, 5th May 1973. Rangers hit the post:

nc11me.jpg

Cologne v Rangers, European Cup QF, 6th March 1979. A 1-0 defeat left Gers with a real chance of progressing to the SF but it was not to be, a 1-1 draw in the second leg meaning the end of a great campaign in the top tournament. Ally Dawson and Peter McCloy keep the West German Champions at bay in this shot, watched by Colin Jackson, in the first leg in Cologne:

30vbrtf.jpg

Rangers 2-0 Juventus, European Cup, 27th September 1978. Derek Johnstone celebrates Gordon Smith's decisive goal in the second leg at Ibrox, putting Gers through 2-1 on aggregate, against a team that contained 9 of the players who took Italy to 3rd place in that year's World Cup:

2djcd3a.jpg

Rangers 6-4 Kilmarnock, League Cup SF, 6th October 1965. An amazing match at Hampden, with both George McLean and his namesake Tommy (playing for Kilmarnock at the time) scoring hat-tricks in a match remembered also for the terrible technical issues suffered by the BBC's 'Sportsreel' highlights programme that night (it was the predecessor of 'Sportscene') - 10 goals and they only captured 2 of them, even missing a penalty!:

fkwlms.jpg

Last edited:
Rangers 2-0 Juventus, European Cup, 27th September 1978. Derek Johnstone celebrates Gordon Smith's decisive goal in the second leg at Ibrox, putting Gers through 2-1 on aggregate, against a team that contained 9 of the players who took Italy to 3rd place in that year's World Cup:

2djcd3a.jpg

A stunning win. Still think the Bayern team we beat in 1972 were the best team ever knocked out of Europe by a Scottish team.

A stunning win. Still think the Bayern team we beat in 1972 were the best team ever knocked out of Europe by a Scottish team.

I agree. 6 of their players played in the West German team that beat England a week later in the European Championships at Wembley, won the tournament 2 months later and then the World Cup in 1974. Add to that Bayern's three European Cup wins in a row between 1974 and 1976 and you can see just how monumental that Rangers win was in 1972.

Rangers 3-2 Celtic, 4th May 2002. Who can forget this moment as Peter Lovenkrands runs behind the goal at the Rangers End of Hampden, having just scored the injury time winner :):

id58wx.jpg
This was the last time I saw Rangers in Scotland, not a bad trip.:D

Reactions: ao2
My mum and my sister were at Ibrox that Thursday night in the pouring rain.
Got the 34 bus from Croftfoot.
Dad and myself were still on our way home from Barcelona.
Still never seen the cup apart from pictures after all those years.

This is a magnificent thread, please keep it going.
I used to travel to Ibrox on the number 34 from Croftfoot too, would've been late 1980s for me. Always looked forward to the sing song on the top deck on the way home...... Followed by someone tanning the emergency exit window

Rangers 3-2 Celtic, 4th May 2002. Who can forget this moment as Peter Lovenkrands runs behind the goal at the Rangers End of Hampden, having just scored the injury time winner :):

id58wx.jpg

The expression on his face - a moment that truly mirrors the bears. Good stuff.

Also, some great reminiscences and details in the thread as usual.

1976 Final , Alex MacDonald goal.
I was in the uncovered end in the picture. we had the side next to the main stand that day with no
segregation from the Hearts fans.

images

My first visit as an 11 year old. Right at front of Celtc End. Hosed it down.

Remember watching agog at adults throwing empty bottles of Pale Ale at each other

Crazy and in a way sad, that the attendance for this game was circa 122,400 and the final between us and the bogtrotters 4 years later was 54,500.

I think the '77 game was affected by a transport strike on the day and the weather was shit. But even at that just over 54,000 for a game v them was really poor. The game matched the atmosphere, a real downbeat match. And don't get me started on Bob Valentine :mad:

I think the '77 game was affected by a transport strike on the day and the weather was shit. But even at that just over 54,000 for a game v them was really poor. The game matched the atmosphere, a real downbeat match. And don't get me started on Bob Valentine :mad:
Before my time (born in ‘75) but thanks for the insight. Wish I had seen these days.

Reactions: ao2
I agree. 6 of their players played in the West German team that beat England a week later in the European Championships at Wembley, won the tournament 2 months later and then the World Cup in 1974. Add to that Bayern's three European Cup wins in a row between 1974 and 1976 and you can see just how monumental that Rangers win was in 1972.
That Juve team we beat later in the same decade had eight of the Italian national team.
I never expected Rangers to face any team in Europe back then with an inferiority complex.
I always expected us to win.

That Juve team we beat later in the same decade had eight of the Italian national team.
I never expected Rangers to face any team in Europe back then with an inferiority complex.
I always expected us to win.

Yes, and Italy came 3rd in the World Cup in 1978.

I was the same mate. I always thought we'd win the European Cup one day, but football is a different game today sadly.

And he was still a teenager!

Frightening to think how good he was for so young.

He peaked in 1977/78 when he was still only 24/25, and at that time he was regarded as a veteran as he'd been playing since 1970. Yet by 1982 his career was winding down when he should still have been at his best. He really was a brilliant player and still my favourite striker.

Back