Classic Rangers picture thread

ItsInTheNet

I'm sorry to hear you were caught up in it mate.

My Dad was injured in the 1961 tragedy and was actually on top of one of the guys who died, and I know it never left him. He was never happy using Stairway 13 after that and though he entered Ibrox for the 1971 game via 13 he made sure he left through the Edmiston Drive steps, something he always did for games v them (other than those games he always stood at the Broomloan Road End). He didn't even know about the disaster that day until he got back down to Greenock, as he went to the game with a pal and a guy from England, whose car they were all in - it had no radio. When they got to his pal's house his wife told him to get up the road sharp as my Mother would be going crazy wondering where he was (we didn't have a phone at the time). I was only a lad then (I'd turned 6 in the September) but even at that age I could sense the worry my Mum was going through, and my sisters were just the same. It was a relief when he came through the door. To think that was replicated in thousands of homes all over the country, and for some the relief never came.

I'm glad the therapy you got has helped mate, and the poem too. I guess it was a release of sorts?

We will never forget the 66.
That was awful for your Dad . Sorry to hear that. People just didnt get any help back in those days. I remember being told to 'snap myself out of it' and 'pull yourself together' in the following months afterwards by well meaning people, one even being a doctor The stiff upper lip was required and you just had to 'get on with it'.

To anyone still affected i would say its never too late to get the help. It may never completely erase the memories but can bring a closure of sorts and addresses issues such as survivor syndrome and gives coping strategies.

I was fortunate in that I have received great support from my wife who was also with me that day and I will be eternally grateful to a fellow poster on this forum who supported me throughout the seven months of intensive therapy that I underwent and afterwards.

A true gem who encouraged me to eventually publish a book of Rangers poems this time last year which included the one on the Ibrox Disaster.

Anyhow thank you for kind words and posting the photos, also thank you for personally sharing on such a delicate and tragic subject.

God bless the Sixty-Six.

dh1963

League game, the cup game was played in a mudbath.
The 69-70 new year game or the 70-71 first game against them?
Sorry to be pedantic, these games are just before I really remember any details so fascinated how you can tell what game it is.

Reactions: ao2

Ali59

Both players played in the 1970 January game, (0-0).
Someone will have to ask wee Willie.
My money is still on Andy Penman.
Game is definitely Jan 1970 , found various pictures of the game with that one included.

Last edited:

ao2

That was awful for your Dad . Sorry to hear that. People just didnt get any help back in those days. I remember being told to 'snap myself out of it' and 'pull yourself together' in the following months afterwards by well meaning people, one even being a doctor The stiff upper lip was required and you just had to 'get on with it'.

To anyone still affected i would say its never too late to get the help. It may never completely erase the memories but can bring a closure of sorts and addresses issues such as survivor syndrome and gives coping strategies.

I was fortunate in that I have received great support from my wife who was also with me that day and I will be eternally grateful to a fellow poster on this forum who supported me throughout the seven months of intensive therapy that I underwent and afterwards.

A true gem who encouraged me to eventually publish a book of Rangers poems this time last year which included the one on the Ibrox Disaster.

Anyhow thank you for kind words and posting the photos, also thank you for personally sharing on such a delicate and tragic subject.

God bless the Sixty-Six.

Yes, people just didn't open up in those days, especially men. My Dad only ever spoke to me about the 1961 match when he was injured the once in any detail. I knew he'd been at the game but one day he just told me he'd been hurt and was lying on top of one of the guys who was killed. Something like that is never going to leave you. That's great your wife and pal have been such a big help to you mate and good to hear it's helped in a big way.

ao2

Rangers played in that strip from 68-69 onwards so it's possible this game is earlier than 1970. Also Andy Penman never had a nose like that

It's definitely not one of the 1968 matches as we wore the v-neck strip at the new year and the later ones in the league and League Cup we wore short sleeves. I'm inclined to go with the 3-1-70 match but I still can't tell if it's Henderson or Penman! I'm 51-49 on Henderson!

ItsInTheNet

Yes, people just didn't open up in those days, especially men. My Dad only ever spoke to me about the 1961 match when he was injured the once in any detail. I knew he'd been at the game but one day he just told me he'd been hurt and was lying on top of one of the guys who was killed. Something like that is never going to leave you. That's great your wife and pal have been such a big help to you mate and good to hear it's helped in a big way.
I get where your dad was coming from. I was a closed book basically with my family too as regarding that day and its ensuing lifelong effects it had. They knew it had had a huge impact on me and never broached the subject with me. That in its own way was a great help to me. Cheers for your comments ao2. Its upwards and onwards now mate :)

This is what i love about this thread, the way it reignites memories. In the main this thread delivers every single time for me. The wonderful memories of great times spent at games with family, and friends brought back to life through the images. I've benefitted greatly from the images posted on here. Its fantastic to belong to the Family of Rangers!

Reactions: ao2

stonewall Jackson

It's definitely not one of the 1968 matches as we wore the v-neck strip at the new year and the later ones in the league and League Cup we wore short sleeves. I'm inclined to go with the 3-1-70 match but I still can't tell if it's Henderson or Penman! I'm 51-49 on Henderson!
I'm talking about the 4-2 game in Sept 68. We wore the badged strip in that one for the first time at the piggery. The new year game was at Ibrox that season. It wasn't the 1-3 SC game as the park was a mud bath in that one.
Just murkying the waters even further mate
I agree It isn't Penman by the way.

Alex Venters

The 69-70 new year game or the 70-71 first game against them?
Sorry to be pedantic, these games are just before I really remember any details so fascinated how you can tell what game it is.
The 69/70 game was played on a frozen pitch, so I'd think this could be the 70/71 game.

ao2

I'm talking about the 4-2 game in Sept 68. We wore the badged strip in that one for the first time at the piggery. The new year game was at Ibrox that season. It wasn't the 1-3 SC game as the park was a mud bath in that one.
Just murkying the waters even further mate
I agree It isn't Penman by the way.

We wore the badge strip at the piggery for a League Cup game on 24th August 1968 mate (lost 0-1) and then came the 4-2 game 2 weeks later. In both we were in short sleeves so it can't be either of those. In '69 we won 4-3 in the Glasgow Cup SF and lost 0-1 in a League Cup match but these were both floodlit so I think we can count those out too. Which leaves either the 0-0 draw in January 1970 or the 0-2 defeat in the September. I'd go with the January game but can't be sure. I agree it can't be the February Scottish Cup game as that was played on a paddy field lol.

ao2

I get where your dad was coming from. I was a closed book basically with my family too as regarding that day and its ensuing lifelong effects it had. They knew it had had a huge impact on me and never broached the subject with me. That in its own way was a great help to me. Cheers for your comments ao2. Its upwards and onwards now mate :)

This is what i love about this thread, the way it reignites memories. In the main this thread delivers every single time for me. The wonderful memories of great times spent at games with family, and friends brought back to life through the images. I've benefitted greatly from the images posted on here. Its fantastic to belong to the Family of Rangers!
I agree mate. Imagine waking up every morning as a Tim! Mind you, even as one of them your first thought would be about Rangers :))

I love this thread too and every time I log into it there's something new to enjoy. It's the best one on the forum for me.

Last edited: