Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

The other boys in blue are in the crowd as Rangers beat Celtic at Ibrox in this 1949 clash:

27tBJZT.jpg
Great picture

Most of the men here will have been serving in WW2 4 years earlier

Another penalty from Kai would do for us in that LC Section.

I think it was Andy Penman who missed at the piggery mate? Penman hit the bar and the ball rebounded down onto the line. Johansen ran forward and booted the ball into the net in celebration, thinking it had crossed the line to put us 2-0 up with 14 minutes to go, but the ref said it hadn't crossed and gave a free kick to them. They ran up the park, won a corner and scored the equaliser from it. We then collapsed, conceded two more and lost the section. A horror show!

Edit - I'm talking crap, it was the other way about! Johansen missed and it was Penman who hit the ball into the net in celebration and was penalised. If he'd left it Johansen would have scored with the rebound. Age is creeping up on me lol!

Last edited:
I think it was Andy Penman who missed at the piggery mate? Penman hit the bar and the ball rebounded down onto the line. Johansen ran forward and booted the ball into the net in celebration, thinking it had crossed the line to put us 2-0 up with 14 minutes to go, but the ref said it hadn't crossed and gave a free kick to them. They ran up the park, won a corner and scored the equaliser from it. We then collapsed, conceded two more and lost the section. A horror show!

Edit - I'm talking crap, it was the other way about! Johansen missed and it was Penman who hit the ball into the net in celebration and was penalised. If he'd left it Johansen would have scored with the rebound. Age is creeping up on me lol!
I seem to remember Kai hit the underside of the bar and tried to follow up and head the ball, that was ruled as a foul as no rattler player touched the ball including Simpson.

The other boys in blue are in the crowd as Rangers beat Celtic at Ibrox in this 1949 clash:

27tBJZT.jpg
Is that a first aider waving a white hankie at the gap in the crowd? The classic ‘assistance required’ signal back in the terracing days.

Looks to be a uniform he’s wearing but not like the police uniform next to him

That was the first game during that sectional games Gemmell scored with a penalty in the 38th minute Then Andy Penman missed a penalty in 60th minute Then Andy scored with a freekick in the 88th minute The crowd was 94,168 that was the biggest crowd i have been at Ibrox
Also the biggest crowd I have been in amongst at Ibrox. Atmosphere was so incredibly tense and electric and went wild at the late equaliser.

Last edited:
I seem to remember Kai hit the underside of the bar and tried to follow up and head the ball, that was ruled as a foul as no rattler player touched the ball including Simpson.

There's a book by John Greig that says if he'd left it Andy Penman was behind him and would have scored the rebound. He didn't, they ran up the park and scored from a corner and we then fell apart.

There's a book by John Greig that says if he'd left it Andy Penman was behind him and would have scored the rebound. He didn't, they ran up the park and scored from a corner and we then fell apart.
Yes if Penman had scored from the rebound it would have counted. I remember Sorensen didn’t cover himself with glory as we capitulated.

• Sad
Reactions: ao2

Andy Penman missed a penalty in the first tie at Ibrox.

• Sad
That's an often overlooked final but we played really well that day and I have fond memories of it. It helps we won mind!
I might have my Cup finals mixed up. Was this the one Bonnar came out his goal and absolutely cemented McCoist as he ran clear in on goal, but somehow the ref didn't give it as a foul?

I might have my Cup finals mixed up. Was this the one Bonnar came out his goal and absolutely cemented McCoist as he ran clear in on goal, but somehow the ref didn't give it as a foul?
Sure it was. Referee gave a corner to us. It was either a penalty or a goal kick for them but not for the first or last time a referee bottled it against them.

What a player he was. Skilful, quick, two footed, aggressive and an eye for goal.
And he turned up in the big games.
I absolutely loved Mark Walters - he was such a talent.
A superb guy as well, I met him outside Ibrox many times when collective autographs and he would always make time for a chat and came across really well.

I drew a picture of him in 2nd Year Art.. taken from a picture in the Rangers News of him taking the penalty in the 4-1 New Year game.
Our art teacher was very happy with how it was going but then went off sick and the replacement was a frightful woman who wasn’t shy to tell everyone that her husband was in Allied Irish Bank (you can see where it’s going can’t you)…

She was all nice when she introduced herself but when it came to going round the class and looking at our work she turned into a loonball to see my work of the bold Mark. “Rangers fans are a disgrace” was one comment…

I still have the picture now! Sent a photo of it to Senga Murray and she was very polite about it:cool:

The very one. I can still see McCoist shouting "unbelievable" at the ref :mad:

Rangers squad training at the Nou Camp, May 1972

Having a senior moment...

Who is it standing in between DJ and Andy Penman, directly behind Jim Denny?

PS amazed Jock Wallace allowed Colin Jackson that moustache! He looks like a Mexican bandit!

Mark Walters celebrates after scoring in the Skol Cup Final in 1990
I was living in Canada at that time and in those pre-internet days the only link to the outside world was the BBC World Service, which was sketchy at best. I called my Dad at half-time and got him to put the phone by the radio and listened to the second half and extra time 'live on the phone'! Back then it was about $5 a minute so it was a 500 buck phone call, I would have been better off flying home for it :)) still, it was well worth it at the end!

Back