Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

fa50551897edaffa93ce2b31f283bd21.jpg

Me too @HIHI Big things were expected of Junior McGillvray, so very talented. He was expected to replace Bobby Shearer but Rangers then signed Kai Johansen and as you rightly say he never featured for Rangers first team.

What a team Third Lanark had then!

Sadly Junior passed away in September :( RIP
Did not know of his passing
Recall he took a penalty and the goalie saved it initially but the force of it ended with the goalie and the ball in the net!

Pic from The Scottish Football Book which was a must on Christmas Day for years. I had every copy up until the wife chucked them a few years back.
Ralph Brand.
Billie Ritchie, Jimmy Millar were my hero’s then.
I would tell todays young family bears that Ralph was my ‘Messi’.
His positional sense, his passing inside the full back for Davie, his goals.
Perfect inside forward.

I can only remember watching the 1-0 game when he played the best through ball to Durrant in my lifetime, that was the first live game I ever watched.

The second was the Skol Cup final, and this iconic moment when Coop was pucked up after scoring the winning penalty.

Aitken's vacant look as Coop takes him to the cleaners plays its part in that beautiful goal.

As Rangerista has enquired elsewhere in the thread, why were the pin-stripes not in these shirts, as they were in the home games of the time? Was this a one-off tournament or occasion?
Was it perhaps a one-off shirt supplied by Umbro for the conditions in Malta, one of those"breathable" fabrics, due to the heat?

As Rangerista has enquired elsewhere in the thread, why were the pin-stripes not in these shirts, as they were in the home games of the time? Was this a one-off tournament or occasion?
I honestly have no idea why the pin stripes were not in the shirts.

It was the European Cup Winners Cup tournament and the shirts were only worn for this game as far as I am aware.

Ralph Brand.
Billie Ritchie, Jimmy Millar were my hero’s then.
I would tell todays young family bears that Ralph was my ‘Messi’.
His positional sense, his passing inside the full back for Davie, his goals.
Perfect inside forward.
Why are the white pinstripes missing?
Superb.
There was only one Ralph Brand.

On New Year’s Day 1958 Rangers first-footed Celtic and showed no “festive spirit” to their city neighbours with a 1-0 victory, courtesy of a first half goal by Alex Scott, on a bone hard pitch.
The Rangers players are Eric Caldow, Willie Telfer, Sammy Baird and Bobby Shearer with Billy Ritchie on the ground.

On New Year’s Day 1958 Rangers first-footed Celtic and showed no “festive spirit” to their city neighbours with a 1-0 victory, courtesy of a first half goal by Alex Scott, on a bone hard pitch.
The Rangers players are Eric Caldow, Willie Telfer, Sammy Baird and Bobby Shearer with Billy Ritchie on the ground.

When did we introduce the v-neck strip? I thought it was pre 1958.

Is the goalie on the ground not more likely to be George Niven, rather than Billy Ritchie? Maybe can be confirmed. I'm sure the Celtic player is Neil Mochan...

Back