Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

158-BD1-F8-14-E3-427-B-8-CC1-18-D880-B9-E414.jpg

QPR v Rangers 1969 / 3-3

That's what you call a Rangers pennant, the Lion Rampant and two thistles to round it off. Scotland's national club indeed.

Not a fond memory for Monchengladbach, but I like to think it hangs to this day in their trophy room.

Is it my eyes, or does that football look very small. ? Like an old Mitre size 4. Ha-ha-ha !

Great photo that! Captures wee Willie in full flight.
Yeah it is.
Wee Willie was coming to end of his Rangers career before my dad started taking me to Ibrox. But that picture does sum up my memories of him.
Plus, noticed the blue and white socks. Not sure if that was a common change of colours when there was a clash.?

The late, great Jimmy Speirs was born in Govanhill, Glasgow, and kicked his first organised football for local juvenile side, Annandale. He was spotted by a member of the Maryhill Juniors committee, who snapped him up as the 1904/05 season was drawing to a close and the Lochburn side were still in the running for three big trophies. He signed for Maryhill but was with them less than a month. Maryhill won all three competitions and Speirs played his part. Within days of winning his final medal, Rangers signed him and he would be at Ibrox for three years.

Rangers v Dundee - Scottish Cup Final: Saturday, 25th April 1964.
Attendance 120,982.
For those of us who were fortunate enough to be at Hampden Park that day this was ranked by many as the finest cup final we had seen. It was a classic between two tremendous sides of that era with Rangers scoring two late goals through Jimmy Millar and Ralph Brand to secure a 3-1 victory.
The photo’s show referee Hugh Phillips with respective captains Bobby Shearer and Bobby Cox;
Bert Slater, the Dundee keeper, saving at the feet of Ralph Brand;
Billy Ritchie being beaten by Kenny Cameron for Dundee’s equaliser;
Jimmy Millar scoring Rangers’ second goal in the 89th minute

Great pic. Anyone present or know if there was a big support travelled down to QPR for that one ?
My best mate at the time was there with his “Old Man.” I think they travelled on the supporter’s bus from Springburn.

The game is rembered for a bust-up involving Rodney Marsh, Bobby Watson, Kai Johansen, and Ronnie McKinnon. Marsh was subsequently substituted for his own safety.

I believe we brought a fair support - but you’re asking me to remember stories from 53 (!) years ago.

Great pic. Anyone present or know if there was a big support travelled down to QPR for that one ?
Was present. The attack on Kai Johansen by Rodney Marsh was shocking. Was estimated that 4,000 Rangers fans were present but there was more than that by far.

This is a match report from the QPR report board...

EXTRACTS FROM : MATCH REPORT

75 mins : Rodney Marsh Goes Berserk.
So far a really entertaining game, played in a good spirit despite the fact that both teams were working hard and playing competitively. A thrilling finale is set. Then… Kai Johansen attempts to slide tackle Marsh on the ‘Ellerslie Road’ touchline. Marsh’s dummy is too clever for him and he follows through. A bad but unintentional challenge. Both players tumble to the turf. Marsh then lashes out with his feet. He rises and continues his attack. Fed up with kicking him, he shakes him and throws a flurry of punches.

Other players rush to the incident and Bobby Watson of Rangers is quickest to reach the scene. Marsh turns his attentions away from the now prostrate Johansen and headbutts Bobby Watson in the face.

Eventually a fan, a photographer, 2 QPR officials plus a nervous looking linesman restrain the hysterical Marsh. The fan and the photographer deserve huge credit for intervening in a situation which was not theirs to deal with as the police and referee were perfectly happy to sit this one out.

Does the referee send him off? No. He merely wags his fingers and delivers a lecture to Marsh.

You would think that with hundreds of good Metropolitan Constables specially drafted in for fear of violence, one of them may have just witnessed an assault, not one does but they seem rather more interested in the Rangers fans voicing their fury at the appalling double assault.

For the moment I’ll leave you with the thought that John Greig and Willie Henderson might with hindsight have signed their newly ‘unemployed’ chum Ken Buchanan for the day – Mind you thank goodness, Marsh did not attack Willie Johnston. They could have sold out Wembley if he had.

Meanwhile the hapless Rangers physio has his work out as he simultaneously tries to treat both players.

Amazingly, once play restarts, Marsh bursts through powerfully and Gerhadt Neef dives bravely at his feet to save a certain goal.

To his credit, Les Allen then removes Marsh from the field replacing him with Frank Sibley. Whether his motive was to punish Marsh or protect him from any retribution it was a very good decision. It goes some way to assuaging the anger of the Rangers fans who raise a large cheer at his departure.

Despite the heavy police presence the Rangers fans behaved magnificently all afternoon. There was estimated to be 4000 fans in the School End, and a few thousand more around other parts of the ground. Many more may have travelled had Jim Baxter been fit. They showed admirable restraint not ‘to become involved’ when Marsh self detonated. Against another team, what could have followed may have been very nasty. The fan (I don’t know which team he supported) who helped to restrain Marsh also deserves considerable praise.

LAST 10 MINUTES

The remainder of the game is played with a bitter taste in the mouth. QPR do not seem to want to cause further upset to their guests, and Rangers for their part do not seem to be interested in making an exciting game of it anymore. Perhaps both sides under instructions to simply play out time.

FINAL SCORE : QPR 3 (Venables [pen], F Clarke, Morgan)
RANGERS 3 (Henderson, Smith, Watson/Hunt)

Attendance : 16,752 well behaved supporters.
But there’s always that mindless idiot who spoils it for everyone. This one was playing.

Was present. The attack on Kai Johansen by Rodney Marsh was shocking. Was estimated that 4,000 Rangers fans were present but there was more than that by far.

So far a really entertaining game, played in a good spirit despite the fact that both teams were working hard and playing competitively. A thrilling finale is set. Then… Kai Johansen attempts to slide tackle Marsh on the ‘Ellerslie Road’ touchline. Marsh’s dummy is too clever for him and he follows through. A bad but unintentional challenge. Both players tumble to the turf. Marsh then lashes out with his feet. He rises and continues his attack. Fed up with kicking him, he shakes him and throws a flurry of punches.

Other players rush to the incident and Bobby Watson of Rangers is quickest to reach the scene. Marsh turns his attentions away from the now prostrate Johansen and headbutts Bobby Watson in the face.

Eventually a fan, a photographer, 2 QPR officials plus a nervous looking linesman restrain the hysterical Marsh. The fan and the photographer deserve huge credit for intervening in a situation which was not theirs to deal with as the police and referee were perfectly happy to sit this one out.

Does the referee send him off? No. He merely wags his fingers and delivers a lecture to Marsh.

You would think that with hundreds of good Metropolitan Constables specially drafted in for fear of violence, one of them may have just witnessed an assault, not one does but they seem rather more interested in the Rangers fans voicing their fury at the appalling double assault.

For the moment I’ll leave you with the thought that John Greig and Willie Henderson might with hindsight have signed their newly ‘unemployed’ chum Ken Buchanan for the day – Mind you thank goodness, Marsh did not attack Willie Johnston. They could have sold out Wembley if he had.

Meanwhile the hapless Rangers physio has his work out as he simultaneously tries to treat both players.

Amazingly, once play restarts, Marsh bursts through powerfully and Gerhadt Neef dives bravely at his feet to save a certain goal.

To his credit, Les Allen then removes Marsh from the field replacing him with Frank Sibley. Whether his motive was to punish Marsh or protect him from any retribution it was a very good decision. It goes some way to assuaging the anger of the Rangers fans who raise a large cheer at his departure.

LAST 10 MINUTES

The remainder of the game is played with a bitter taste in the mouth. QPR do not seem to want to cause further upset to their guests, and Rangers for their part do not seem to be interested in making an exciting game of it anymore. Perhaps both sides under instructions to simply play out time.

But there’s always that mindless idiot who spoils it for everyone. This one was playing.

Great post, mate. I always hated Marsh. The misplaced arrogance from that fud was stratospheric.

My best mate at the time was there with his “Old Man.” I think they travelled on the supporter’s bus from Springburn.

The game is rembered for a bust-up involving Rodney Marsh, Bobby Watson, Kai Johansen, and Ronnie McKinnon. Marsh was subsequently substituted for his own safety.

I believe we brought a fair support - but you’re asking me to remember stories from 53 (!) years
Edit

Wee personal memory.One of my proudest memorable moments following Rangers growing up was when George Brown, by then a Director, pinned a club badge onto my lapel when I was around 12 years old returning on a football special train after playing Dundee.
Rangers class! That moment, if any were ever needed,sealed my love for the Rangers forever!

Despite the heavy police presence the Rangers fans behaved magnificently all afternoon. There was estimated to be 4000 fans in the School End, and a few thousand more around other parts of the ground. Many more may have travelled had Jim Baxter been fit. They showed admirable restraint not ‘to become involved’ when Marsh self detonated. Against another team, what could have followed may have been very nasty. The fan (I don’t know which team he supported) who helped to restrain Marsh also deserves considerable praise.

LAST 10 MINUTES

Thanks, good report.

My dad passed away in October last year. When I see photos of any 60's Rangers players posted on here, it's when I miss him the most, as I'd ask him how good they were.
Nobody was better than Jim Baxter in his opinion though.
Same here mate.
I always remember discussing with my late dad about the current Rangers players of that particular year. But he would say, ah but, they weren’t as good as Baxter, Millar and Brand.
My late grandad would then add, but they weren’t as good as Bob McPhail, George Young and Jock Shaw.
It was hard to argue with my dad or grandad.:D

Wee personal memory.One of my proudest memorable moments following Rangers growing up was when George Brown, by then a Director, pinned a club badge onto my lapel when I was around 12 years old returning on a football special train after playing Dundee.
Rangers class! That moment, if any were ever needed,sealed my love for the Rangers forever!
Still got the badge?

158-BD1-F8-14-E3-427-B-8-CC1-18-D880-B9-E414.jpg

QPR v Rangers 1969 / 3-3
I was there,a massive rangers contingent,bottles flying between their fans and us.Rodney Marsh losing the plot.One abiding memory on leaving the game was an old boy,he seemed old to me I was 13,wearing a suit,flat cap,half bottle in the pocket he pulls a flute out his inside pocket and we are walking along behind while he plays the tunes.Oh and the game wasn't bad either.

I was fortunate to be there to see big Ugo’s goal. Every time I see the goal or photos of it, it makes me smile and at the same time so very sad to think that Ugo died tragically young.

Rest in peace Ugo : your goal meant so much to us at the time and to one who remembers, it still does.
I remember being at the piggery as well & as you say, he gave us all so much joy that day!
Great memories.
Sadly, as with other players, it's hard to believe he is no longer with us.

Back