Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

I think it is actually Davie Wilson next to Ralph in the days before Davie Wilson went blonde. The player fourth along from Ralph Brand is definitely the Paisley born George McLean (1) who joined us in 1959 and left for Norwich City on 22nd March 1962. He played a number of first team games scoring three goals. On page 99 of Willie Allison's book 'Rangers - The New Era' describing season 1960/61 the author seems to confuse George McLean (1) with George (Dandy) McLean who didn't arrive at Ibrox until 1963. I recall reading in an English football book that the two McLean's were cousins i haven't seen this confirmed anywhere else. There's definitely a facial resemblence between the two George McLean's. It looks like a pre-season photo so that would narrow it down to the summer of 61 or before.

Fantastic research.

Just one clarification: I thought Dandy signed after St Mirren Scottish Cup Final in 1962. I could be wrong!

He signed during the 62/63 season and made his debut v Dunfermline in March 63.

1962/63 was the winter of the big white-out when there was massive disruption of football right across the UK. Dandy McLean joined Rangers on 23rd January 63 but because of the backlog didn't make his debut until 9th March at Dunfermline, our previous game had been the 4-0 win over Celtic on New Years day. We'd tried to bring in Bobby Hope from West Brom a fortnight before McLean signed only for the transfer to fall through when Willie Penman wouldn't go to West Brom as part of the deal. Rangers then had to squeeze in games on March 13th, March16th, March 20th, March 23rd, March 27th, March 30th and April 3rd. Even at the end of that memorable season when we played Celtic on May 4th in the Scottish Cup Final we played three more league games on the 6th,11th and 13th of May before beating Celtic 3-0 in the cup final replay on the 15th May. We concluded the season on May 20th in a 2-2 draw against Arsenal at Highbury which was a benefit for Jack Kelsey the Gunners Welsh keeper. What a wonderful era to have been a Bluenose.

1962/63 was the winter of the big white-out when there was massive disruption of football right across the UK. Dandy McLean joined Rangers on 23rd January 63 but because of the backlog didn't make his debut until 9th March at Dunfermline, our previous game had been the 4-0 win over Celtic on New Years day. We'd tried to bring in Bobby Hope from West Brom a fortnight before McLean signed only for the transfer to fall through when Willie Penman wouldn't go to West Brom as part of the deal. Rangers then had to squeeze in games on March 13th, March16th, March 20th, March 23rd, March 27th, March 30th and April 3rd. Even at the end of that memorable season when we played Celtic on May 4th in the Scottish Cup Final we played three more league games on the 6th,11th and 13th of May before beating Celtic 3-0 in the cup final replay on the 15th May. We concluded the season on May 20th in a 2-2 draw against Arsenal at Highbury which was a benefit for Jack Kelsey the Gunners Welsh keeper. What a wonderful era to have been a Bluenose.
Bobby Hope! Remember the disappointment when the move fell through. Fantastic memories that brings back and a great summary of that particular time @Geneva

FJOpXcKXsAIPajQ

Bobby Hope! Remember the disappointment when the move fell through. Fantastic memories that brings back and a great summary of that particular time @Geneva

We went back in for him again in July of 1968 with a bid quoted as £90,000 but sadly for Bobby a lifelong Bluenose the Baggies wouldn't part with him. As far as i can recall we missed out on him as a youngster before he went down to England.

We went back in for him again in July of 1968 with a bid quoted as £90,000 but sadly for Bobby a lifelong Bluenose the Baggies wouldn't part with him. As far as i can recall we missed out on him as a youngster before he went down to England.
When we didn’t get him in the summer of 1968, our attention turned to Colin Stein, who, after an initial bid of £90k had been rejected by Hibs, signed for £100k ( but not before Hibs tried to punt him to Everton for the same £90k ).

When we didn’t get him in the summer of 1968, our attention turned to Colin Stein, who, after an initial bid of £90k had been rejected by Hibs, signed for £100k ( but not before Hibs tried to punt him to Everton for the same £9
When we didn’t get him in the summer of 1968, our attention turned to Colin Stein, who, after an initial bid of £90k had been rejected by Hibs, signed for £100k ( but not before Hibs tried to punt him to Everton for the same £90k ).

I think Scot Symon probably saw Bobby Hope as a replacement for the veteran Ian McMillan when he tried to sign him in 1963. Hope was very much the old fashioned Scottish inside-forward what we used to refer to as a schemer/playmaker. Of course we remember Colin Stein as an out and out striker, a real up n at em centre-forward.

Back