Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

We were in front all that season only to drop silly points in the last few weeks but crowds did swing from 80 thousand plus to under 20.The big difference was very few season tickets in the sixties and seventies.

Your right ,I think a season ticket was for the well off mostly in those days .
I was only ever in the old Rangers in once as a 10/11 year old ,I'm sure it was an anglo cup game against chesterfield or something .I can just remember how vast the place looked .

Started going regularly with my school mates from 14 onwards and the new stands were going up .

Enough legendary players (and manager) there to not look at the others.

But 2 absolute greats in the back row, both became directors after magnificent Rangers playing careers.

3rd along is John McPherson and 5th along is Jimmy Bowie. Their time as directors ended in very different ways though.
McPherson sadly died not that long after this picture, collapsing at Shawfield stadium.
Bowie was on the board for the next 20+ years before the infamous boardroom split involving him and Mr Struth.

Then just to throw in one other ex player, the first team trainer at the end of the front row was George Livingstone. The only man in football to play for Rangers, Celtic, Manchester United and Manchester City. He also played for Liverpool, Sunderland and Hearts so he must have played in some number of derby matches across the UK.

Be interesting to look up King Kai’s record from the spot. Only one I can remember him missing was the piggery league cup section game 67-68 where he hit the underside of the bar with Simpson beaten.
In the League Sectional games against Celtic it was 1-1 at Ibrox and Andy Penman missed a penalty. In the away game we were winning 1-0 then Kai hit the underside of the bar on the 74th minute with a penalty and Celtic scored 3 goals in the last 15 minutes

In the League Sectional games against Celtic it was 1-1 at Ibrox and Andy Penman missed a penalty. In the away game we were winning 1-0 then Kai hit the underside of the bar on the 74th minute with a penalty and Celtic scored 3 goals in the last 15 minutes
Did Kai not follow up and scored but was disallowed?

I think that's the old war- horse Jimmy Millar himself in center of photo in Dundee Utd strip, looks like Andy Penman beside him. Johansen penalty in a 1-0 League Cup win over Utd on August 19th 1967.
Well spotted on Jimmy Millar.
Davy Wilson, Wilson Wood and Jimmy Millar all lined up for Dundee Utd that day.
Kai Johansen's penalty was the only goal of the game.

We had 200,000 at Ibrox for 3 games in 10 days.
The previous Wednesday we had 95,000 v Celtic in a 1-1 draw,
we had 55,000 for that game v Dundee Utd,
and 50,000 for a 3-0 win v Aberdeen the following Saturday.

Four new players straight into our Starting XI, Sorensen, Penman, Ferguson and Persson.
It was an exciting new Rangers team, that was unchanged for those opening 3 games that season.
Sorensen, Johansen, Provan, Jardine, McKinnon, Greig, Henderson, Penman, Ferguson, D.Smith, Persson.

Four days later we travelled to the Piggery, with Willie Johnston coming in for the injured Persson. With Rangers leading 1-0, we were awarded a penalty with less than 15 mins remaining, and up stepped Kai Johansen to seal the victory. His shot hit the underside of the crossbar and came out.
Celtic scored three in the final 12 minutes.

Back