Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Celtic 0-1 Rangers, 1st January 1960:

14y7u35.jpg

Queen's Park 4-6 Rangers, 22nd April 1957. And here was the fright. Queen's were 4-1 up (and had missed a penalty!) when Rangers popped in a couple of goals in the last 2 minutes of the first half. Needless to say Gers were much better in the second half and scored 3 more without reply, but a few hearts were in the mouth that day, with Hearts breathing down our necks in the race for the title! Johnny Hubbard scores one of those goals on half-time:

2i730it.jpg

Great stuff, as usual, bears. Thanks for posting them, along with the info and wee snippets of personal thoughts, insights, and memories they provoked others to reply with. :)

Celtic 0-1 Rangers, 1st January 1960:

14y7u35.jpg
The variety of photographs on this thread continues to amaze. This match was a couple of years before my first Rangers game but I think the Rangers players are Harry Davis (for sure), Bill Paterson, Willie Stevenson (heading the ball clear) and Sammy Baird. For all the Celtic fans who frequent FF, the Celtic player appearing for the losing team looks like Neil Mochan.

Reactions: ao2
The variety of photographs on this thread continues to amaze. This match was a couple of years before my first Rangers game but I think the Rangers players are Harry Davis (for sure), Bill Paterson, Willie Stevenson (heading the ball clear) and Sammy Baird. For all the Celtic fans who frequent FF, the Celtic player appearing for the losing team looks like Neil Mochan.

Right on all counts mate. We missed a penalty in this match but then Jimmy Millar headed the winner about 30 seconds from the end, getting the 60s off to a flyer :)

St Johnstone 3-3 Rangers, 14th February 1981 - Scottish Cup 4th Rd. Ian Redford's equaliser, well into injury time (and about 60 seconds after a Willie Johnston "goal" had been disallowed) arguably saves John Greig's job. Rangers won the replay 3-1 4 days later:

2s0nsso.jpg

Rangers 0-0 Celtic, Scottish Cup Final, 23rd April 1966. The '66 Final will always be remembered for Kai Johansen's winner in the Replay (and my avatar!) but it might have been the John Greig Final as he almost won it late on in the first match, only to be denied by Simpson:

2uykf7k.jpg

11rb3lt.jpg

Rangers 1-1 Celtic, Glasgow Charity Cup SF, 9th May 1960. (Click on the photo for a better resolution). Rangers celebrate winning the tie on the toss of the coin. McNeill refuses to believe the evidence before him and gazes skywards in vain, hoping for help from above. It's a conspiracy I tell you, they've always cheated ra Sellick :D:

1zo8fv6.jpg

Rangers 4-1 Celtic, Scottish Cup SF replay, 6th April 1960. Davie Wilson opens the scoring in a midweek match that kicked off at 4:30pm (there were no floodlights at Hampden till October 1961):

2dj2pvq.jpg
Another goal from a Rangers great. Obviously this photograph was before Davie turned prematurely blonde.

Reactions: ao2
Celtic 1-5 Rangers, 10th September 1960. Ralph Brand forces Fallon to make a save at the piggery. From the resultant corner the keeper punches the ball straight to Alex Scott who plants the ball in the net at the Rangers End. Only 2 minutes have gone and a dream day is just beginning:

105xsf8.jpg

eqrxiv.jpg

2u92zdf.jpg

2napfnb.jpg

Celtic 1-5 Rangers, 10th September 1960. Harold Davis puts Gers 5-0 up in the 86th minute. The scum scored in the last minute but there were very few of their own there to witness it :D:

10riy9s.jpg

St Johnstone 3-3 Rangers, 14th February 1981 - Scottish Cup 4th Rd. Ian Redford's equaliser, well into injury time (and about 60 seconds after a Willie Johnston "goal" had been disallowed) arguably saves John Greig's job. Rangers won the replay 3-1 4 days later:

2s0nsso.jpg
mayhem erupted after the goal was disallowed,
2-0 up, 3-2 down, equalizer in the last seconds!
Huge Rangers support there that day

Back