Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

St Mirren 0-1 Rangers, 8th October 1986. Davie Cooper has just scored a late winner at Love Street:

wrifd0.jpg

An iconic picture.

It was pissing down that night, and it was a huge win at a time in the season the Souness team were falling behind Celtic in the title race.

Reactions: ao2
Rangers 1-0 Aberdeen, Scottish Cup Final replay, 29th April 1953. Billy Simpson would score the winner in this match and it's a League and Cup Double for Gers:

atnd6d.jpg

An iconic picture.

It was pissing down that night, and it was a huge win at a time in the season the Souness team were falling behind Celtic in the title race.

Indeed. I can't remember the time but it was in the dying minutes and we were despairing of a win by the time this went in. It was VERY important.

was just about to post the same
long lines waiting to get in, as you got to the front my old man would pull me into the turnstile declare "one" and I would do the double shuffle through.:D

I can still remember the price to get in when I first went to Ibrox in the early 70s - 36p! It seemed a lot back then too :D

Was this the day of the disaster?

No mate, it was the August 1971 match that was a "home" game for them. The piggery was being upgraded (don't laugh :D) so both section matches were played at Ibrox. Sadly it didn't help us as we lost both :(

We played them twice in 1971. January and September. The weather looks more like a January day than a September one and there appears to be a gathering fog in the background.

It's another match mate, the August 1971 League Cup match that was technically a home game for them, played on August 14th. Yep, the weather was shit in August back then too :D

Rangers 3-2 Celtic, Scottish Cup Final, 5th May 1973. Tom Forsyth taps in the winner and the cup is on its way back to Ibrox.

5os4co.jpg
The importance of this goal cannot be stressed enogh. ao2 I remember the playing for Rangers series of books and I was wondering if you have the book which would have been published in season 1973/74 but was looking back to the previous season.

That book had a series of photographs taken from the right hand side of Hunter’s goal. In the background, you can see the South Stand. The Rangers support must have been in line with the 18 yard line of the penalty area at the Celtic end.

The series of photographs show how much the ball spun after it hit the first post and how big Forsyth had to adjust his run. The same photographs show the reaction of the Rangers support as the ball hits the first post, then the second and then after the ball had crossed the line. A few seats along, the Celtic fans were motionless.

If you have that book, could you scan the photos so we can all see the lead up to the goal and subsequent celebrations.

The importance of this goal cannot be stressed enogh. ao2 I remember the playing for Rangers series of books and I was wondering if you have the book which would have been published in season 1973/74 but was looking back to the previous season.

That book had a series of photographs taken from the right hand side of Hunter’s goal. In the background, you can see the South Stand. The Rangers support must have been in line with the 18 yard line of the penalty area at the Celtic end.

The series of photographs show how much the ball spun after it hit the first post and how big Forsyth had to adjust his run. The same photographs show the reaction of the Rangers support as the ball hits the first post, then the second and then after the ball had crossed the line. A few seats along, the Celtic fans were motionless.

If you have that book, could you scan the photos so we can all see the lead up to the goal and subsequent celebrations.

'Playing For Rangers No.5' mate! Yes I have it and I know the photos you're talking about. They did the same with Derek Parlane's goal as well. I'll scan them tomorrow! This game has to be one of my favourite wins over them ever :)

It's another match mate, the August 1971 League Cup match that was technically a home game for them, played on August 14th. Yep, the weather was shit in August back then too :D
Rangers issued home programmes for both league cup games on the 14th and 28th.
I have issue 8159 and 19120 for both games

Reactions: ao2
I'm always uncomfortable with posting photos from the Ibrox Disaster game but these are some images from that day, including Colin Stein's goal. It's especially poignant to think of what was probably already happening as the players were walking off the field in the last photo:

b3o2le.jpg

2vacjn8.jpg

99o30j.jpg

dnjcap.jpg
I understand your concerns ao2. However what you, Templbluenose and a number of others are doing in this thread is showing us all so many great moments in our history but also those times which show the bleakest and saddest times in the history of The Rangers.The photographs are part of the story of The Rangers.

I've seen those pictures.
I've often wondered what the split was ticket wise, given that their end had a larger capacity than ours. I was in the old North Stand slightly left of the centre line looking down on the pitch and there were no Celtic fans within spitting distance.
I also read in one of Archie MacPherson's books that we sold slightly more tickets than them for this game and as I recall all 134,000 tickets sold although the attendance was 122,714.

Last edited:

These are the photos you're after mate. Sorry they're not great as they're in the book across 2 pages in most cases.

A series of photos showing Tom Forsyth's winning goal in the Scottish Cup Final, 5th May 1973:

2hs7qts.jpg

15ozeky.jpg

rstzsn.jpg

14kbexh.jpg

2gwf1uo.jpg

14xz1gk.jpg

1675wk5.jpg

6h3jvc.jpg

292nur9.jpg

dpva0j.jpg

20pvlli.jpg

2qut27t.jpg