Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Rangers 2-0 Cowdenbeath, League Cup SF, 14th October 1970. Colin Stein (wearing stripes for the night) scores the second and Gers are through:

2zs038p.jpg

Is that the game that was DJ's debut?

Reactions: ao2
Rangers 2-2 Moscow Dynamo, friendly, 28th November 1945. George Young scores the equaliser from the spot:

2ezrc5g.jpg

Rangers 2-2 Moscow Dynamo, friendly, 28th November 1945. Jimmy Smith starts the fightback with Gers first goal as we fight back from two down to draw with the great Russian side in a famous match at Ibrox:

2vmfqcm.jpg

2 incredible servants of Rangers in that picture.

Jimmy Smith, 18 years a player then 21 years a trainer then a scout.
Willie Waddell, 17 years a player, then 23 years manager, general manager and director.

79 years service to our club.

Rangers 1-0 St Mirren, 26th December 1970. Derek Johnstone crashes one off the bar in the first half and John Greig's winning shot lies in the back of the Saints net in the second photo, with Gordon McQueen looking none too pleased in the background:

t0oidt.jpg

5ecwhz.jpg

Rangers 2-0 St Mirren, Scottish Cup Final, 21st April 1962. Davie Wilson is out of the picture to the right but his shot is heading for the back of the net for Gers second and it's the first of three-in-a-row Cups for Rangers:

33075ky.jpg

These pictures have me wondering.
When was it Scottish football started using a white ball?

The early 70s ones are white, but the Moscow Dynamo game and 1962 cup final aren't.

I started going to Ibrox in 1968, and can't remember the ball not being white back then unless it was snowy then it was orange. Was the white ball just about the same time as my football lifetime?

Celtic 3-3 Rangers, 21st November 1981. The man's a dumpling but Gordon Dalziel had some match in this game at the piggery, one of the best matches v them I've ever seen. Here he scores our first equaliser (and it was only the 5th minute!):

2d1pq3s.jpg

Celtic 3-3 Rangers, 21st November 1981. The man's a dumpling but Gordon Dalziel had some match in this game at the piggery, one of the best matches v them I've ever seen. Here he scores our first equaliser (and it was only the 5th minute!):

2d1pq3s.jpg

We got stuck in traffic that day and got through the turnstiles about 10 past three, got to the top of the stairs and heard a big roar from their end.

Thought we were 1-0 down then got told it was 2-1!

We were 3-2 up about 15 minutes later. Mad first half.

Were our 3 goals all headers?

Celtic 3-3 Rangers, 21st November 1981. A minute after Jim Bett had equalised for the second time at the piggery John MacDonald puts Gers 3-2 ahead. Time - 21 minutes. He looks rather pleased as he runs to celebrate, with Coop in hot pursuit!:

30afkpe.jpg

1iiv88.jpg

Last edited:
We got stuck in traffic that day and got through the turnstiles about 10 past three, got to the top of the stairs and heard a big roar from their end.

Thought we were 1-0 down then got told it was 2-1!

We were 3-2 up about 15 minutes later. Mad first half.

Were our 3 goals all headers?

They were mate. Here's the highlights:

They were mate. Here's the highlights:

That took me back!

That very ordinary player Tom McAdam seemed to score a lot of goals against us back then, especially for a defender.
Shows how the memory plays tricks, I was sure Jim Stewart was in goal. Big McCloy made more comebacks than Frank Sinatra!

That took me back!

That very ordinary player Tom McAdam seemed to score a lot of goals against us back then, especially for a defender.
Shows how the memory plays tricks, I was sure Jim Stewart was in goal. Big McCloy made more comebacks than Frank Sinatra!

Stewart was back the following week for the League Cup Final so I guess he must've been injured. Aye, McAdam had a habit of scoring against us, as did Roddie MacDonald iirc.

These pictures have me wondering.
When was it Scottish football started using a white ball?

The early 70s ones are white, but the Moscow Dynamo game and 1962 cup final aren't.

I started going to Ibrox in 1968, and can't remember the ball not being white back then unless it was snowy then it was orange. Was the white ball just about the same time as my football lifetime?
The photo in the post with Billy Ritchie saving against Monaco shows a white ball but that may have been a European rule. I think Kai Johansen’s goal in the 1966 Cup Final replay was a white ball past the despairing Ronnie Simpson. To memory I think the 1964 Final against Dundee used the dark ball so I assume mid 60’s is a reasonable guess. Maybe at the request of television??

The photo in the post with Billy Ritchie saving against Monaco shows a white ball but that may have been a European rule. I think Kai Johansen’s goal in the 1966 Cup Final replay was a white ball past the despairing Ronnie Simpson. To memory I think the 1964 Final against Dundee used the dark ball so I assume mid 60’s is a reasonable guess. Maybe at the request of television??

Very possibly was TV, although not all games were televised back then.
In the days before floodlights, you have to wonder how well spectators could see the dark ball on a miserable winter afternoon.

Rangers 3-3 Aberdeen, League Cup Final, 25th October 1987. Robert Fleck's late equaliser means extra time, and Gers famously won on penalties in what was probably the greatest Cup Final I've ever attended (though the 2002 Scottish Cup Final ran it close):

5vap13.jpg

Ian Durrant that day was world class.
We tend to remember the Cooper free kick and the Trevor Francis penalty run up, but Durrant was as close to midfield perfection as you can get.

Ian Durrant that day was world class.
We tend to remember the Cooper free kick and the Trevor Francis penalty run up, but Durrant was as close to midfield perfection as you can get.

And his goal was a thing of beauty too. What a player he was before that assault. You can only wonder what he might have achieved if it hadn't happened. It's a miracle he came back to any degree and still played in some big wins.

Back