Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Rangers 2-1 Celtic, Scottish Cup SF, 7th April 1996. There are three of them around Gazza but they still can't handle him, though the man of the match would of course be Brian Laudrup:

9hqonk.jpg

My dad has always claimed that was the day the balance of power finally shifted in the 70s.

I think we went top of the league that day and were unbeaten for the rest of the season.

It was mate. We'd won at the piggery in September and had a good run but then around November we slipped a bit and they got ahead. I think we needed to win by three to go top on goal difference that day and we did. The following week they lost at home to Motherwell and we won away at Dumbarton and we never looked back. The second half of the 70s was an especially good time to be Bear :)

Rangers 3-3 Aberdeen, Skol (League) Cup Final, 25th October 1987. Davie Cooper scores THAT free-kick and Leighton is still trying to catch the ball 32 years later :)):

282n769.jpg
From the North Enclosure that day I'm sure I heard the swish as the ball 'burst the net'.

There was an interview with Coops when he said that Leighton once told him he nearly got to that ball.

"Aye, on it's way back oot," said Davie.

My dad has always claimed that was the day the balance of power finally shifted in the 70s.

I think we went top of the league that day and were unbeaten for the rest of the season.
I agree i think that was just after Stein nearly died in the car crash. I remember the Rangers Pools agent in the Shaws said its our title Sean Fallon couldnae change his mind unlike Stein

It was mate. We'd won at the piggery in September and had a good run but then around November we slipped a bit and they got ahead. I think we needed to win by three to go top on goal difference that day and we did. The following week they lost at home to Motherwell and we won away at Dumbarton and we never looked back. The second half of the 70s was an especially good time to be Bear :)
Just remembered i got the "jail" at Dumbarton for running over the railway lines

Reactions: ao2
I agree i think that was just after Stein nearly died in the car crash. I remember the Rangers Pools agent in the Shaws said its our title Sean Fallon couldnae change his mind unlike Stein

The crash was a few months later mate, in the close season of 1975. We won The Treble of course the following year.

The Old Ibrox House. Had a few beers in there in the early 80s.

Before it got knocked down it changed its name to something more modern and trendy. What was it again...?
Her Ladyship mid 70s then Madisons then The Mucky Duck then the Old Ibrox House.
Was a good pub till after Her Ladyship then became a shit hole.

Last edited:
Apparently, the second match under floodlights was between Arsenal and Rangers at Highbury in 1951:

D5i47nhWAAYMb4i.jpg:large
This photograph (or one very similar) used to be on the wall of 'The Mitre' bar - up the road from Essex Road station in Islington North London - an Arsenal pub before it became a gastro / wine bar / modern cafe~bar / excuse for a pub over 15 years ago
I asked the bar staff the week after it changed if they still had the old photos - but they hadn't a clue what I was talking about

What an incredible work of art this photograph is - truly atmospheric - thanks for posting it

This photograph (or one very similar) used to be on the wall of 'The Mitre' bar - up the road from Essex Road station in Islington North London - an Arsenal pub before it became a gastro / wine bar / modern cafe~bar / excuse for a pub over 15 years ago
I asked the bar staff the week after it changed if they still had the old photos - but they hadn't a clue what I was talking about

What an incredible work of art this photograph is - truly atmospheric - thanks for posting it

The big question is

Did we win?

A great day. This was also the game iirc when well into the second half, Celtic were attacking our goal at the Rangers End. Jimmy Johnstone tried to get to the bye line but Quinton Young blocked the run. Cutty, who was facing the Rangers End, flicked the ball up and tried to blast the ball away up the park. Instead he managed to hit the ball off Jimmy Johnstone’s face for a bye kick.

The day when the tide turned.

If I remember correctly (could be totally wrong) I think this was the first final between us and them in a long time. That being the case, what was it like? Was it a big issue then going into their end?

The atmosphere was awesome and tension fever pitch on build up to the game. It was still a big issue going into their end at that time. That day there were a group of us three quarters way up the terracing directly behind the goal. When Brand scored we cheered and what followed were evil looks and lots of sweary words towards us but that was about it :))

The atmosphere was awesome and tension fever pitch on build up to the game. It was still a big issue going into their end at that time. That day there were a group of us three quarters way up the terracing directly behind the goal. When Brand scored we cheered and what followed were evil looks and lots of sweary words towards us but that was about it :))

Thanks for posting.

Nowadays everything is on Youtube so it is great to get these small anecdotes from the pre-internet age. :)

Back