Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

D6nS--XWsAIz_Nb.jpg:large

The day of Hillsborough.
There was a bit of a crush behind the goal at this game too, briefly a few fans spilled onto the trackside.

Indeed. I think fans were walked round the track to go in the other end due to crushing.

The replay was just as mobbed - only time I've been in the home end at Parkhead.

From the North Enclosure that day I'm sure I heard the swish as the ball 'burst the net'.

There was an interview with Coops when he said that Leighton once told him he nearly got to that ball.

"Aye, on it's way back oot," said Davie.

I was in North Enclosure too mate and you are right...you could hear the ball hitting the net.

The day of Hillsborough.
There was a bit of a crush behind the goal at this game too, briefly a few fans spilled onto the trackside.

Parkhead was a disgrace that day, we went in by a turnstile beside the main stand and told we could walk round to the jungle, obviously many were told the same, by the time folk were spilling out a full Celtic end the jungle was near empty. Events at Hillsborough the same day always come to mind when I see this game mentioned.

I missed the Airdrie goal that day as there was a fight in the Copland Road terracing was too busy watching that.
And that was the exact reason why my dad started taking me and my brother to the Celtic end because of the amount of battles between the young teams in the rangers end

Rangers 3-1 Celtic, 7th January 1978. One of the funniest goals ever scored by us v them. Whilst most of their team were back in Gers box claiming a penalty for a foul by Jackson on Craig, the ref waved play on and Rangers quickly moved the ball to the other end of the park in a sweeping move. Bobby Russell should really have scored but his effort was cleared on the line, only to fall to John Greig who had the simplest of tasks to tap it into the empty net. Queue pandemonium as some of the scum support invaded the park and their players threatened to walk off the pitch. Comedy gold :)):

rwnrma.jpg

Rangers 3-0 Hearts, 25th April 1987. Ally McCoist celebrates his hat-trick with Robert Fleck and Derek Ferguson in typically subdued fashion ;) Rangers could have won the league on this day had the result gone our way in the scum game but the celebrations were only delayed by a week, as a point the following Saturday at Pittodrie won us the league for the first time since 1978:

wvs9zm.jpg

Rangers 3-1 Celtic, 7th January 1978. One of the funniest goals ever scored by us v them. Whilst most of their team were back in Gers box claiming a penalty for a foul by Jackson on Craig, the ref waved play on and Rangers quickly moved the ball to the other end of the park in a sweeping move. Bobby Russell should really have scored but his effort was cleared on the line, only to fall to John Greig who had the simplest of tasks to tap it into the empty net. Queue pandemonium as some of the scum support invaded the park and their players threatened to walk off the pitch. Comedy gold :)):

rwnrma.jpg
I was in beside the smelly ones that day and the bottles were flying everywhere, bouncing off their own, a couple of near misses for me too.

I thought the captain was number 4 in the mid and late 60s and didn't move to left back till his last few seasons.
Every day a schoolday!

You are pretty much correct in that he didn't move to Left Back until very late in the 73-74 season (April), and would go on to win 3 league Titles in the next 4 years as a Left Back.

The game above v Dynamo Dresden in 67' was only 4 days after Davie Provan had his leg cruelly broken by that bastard Bertie Auld, and Greig filled in at Left back for the next 3 games, until a young Willie Mathieson came into the side.

Mathieson was our Left Back for pretty much the next 7 seasons (about 300 games), but for a few brief appearances of a returning Davie Provan, a handful appearances from Brian Heron, and a half season (70-71) for Alex Miller.
Mathieson was phased out the side at the end of March 74, and that is when Greig took up the Left Back position on a more permanent basis for the next four seasons.

Greig had started as a No 8 (inside Forward), before moving to Right Half (No 4) in the 62-63 season replacing Harold Davis.
After Baxter left in 65', Greig often wore the No 6 shirt, with either Bobby Watson, or Sandy Jardine getting the No 4 shirt, but for the most part, Greig was our No 4.

When I think of John Greig, I think of him as a Right Half. (who could also play either full back position, central defence, central midfield, or inside forward).
When I think of Rangers No 4, I think of John Greig.

Opened the scoring?
I know you know.
Doddie scored first, DJ scored second.

Of course Doddie scored first! I need to engage the brain sometimes before posting! It was 41 years ago so the memory is a little hazy at times :))

Back