Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

D8tr00oXsAEoBOW.jpg

My dad and my uncle were at the game
Apparently the pitch was frozen but our players still wore boots and were slipping all over the place, whereas a lot of there wearing either baseball boots or trainers and had far better grip

We were 1-0 up at half time and both teams were slipping all over the place. They changed to sandshoes the second half and ripped us to pieces. It was ultimately very costly as they won the league by just 2 points.

My dad and my uncle were at the game
Apparently the pitch was frozen but our players still wore boots and were slipping all over the place, whereas a lot of there wearing either baseball boots or trainers and had far better grip
I remember all the papers Celtic skate it etc, if you look at the park you can see still some of the straw on the pitch. What Celtic did at that time to try and stop the pitch freezing didnae really work

We were 1-0 up at half time and both teams were slipping all over the place. They changed to sandshoes the second half and ripped us to pieces. It was ultimately very costly as they won the league by just 2 points.

That was the day of my grandad's funeral.
I was only 2, so obviously not there and no memory of it.
But my dad used to tell me Jan 3rd 1966 was the saddest day of his life. He at least missed the game, but he found out the result from fans returning from the game outside where the funeral tea and sandwiches were held.
He always joked he wanted to go during the close season so I would never have double heartache like he got!

Reactions: ao2
Was at the game tha'ts the first pic i remember seeing of it . Game wasn't on tv for advertising rules with the tv companies at the time and have never seen or heard of any footage available .Does anyone know if any video footage is out there ?. Thanks for posting the photo mate .Cheers

That was in the days when I had Yahoo mates and one of them told me the day after the game that even when they were 2-0 up, there was a guy standing right next to him in the Celtic end greeting because ‘ they’re taking the piss out of us ‘.

March was more costly. We dropped 6 out of 8 points played for.

Reactions: ao2
Rather bizarrely, the pylons look utterly enormous.
Probably the same height or near that the difference the Celtic End at Hampden and the terraces ie our End at Celtic Park would be just more than half the size of the Hampden terrace that imo would make it look bigger but the photo tells lies

March was more costly. We dropped 6 out of 8 points played for.

Indeed. Within a few weeks of this debacle we'd gone back to the top of the league after they'd lost to Hearts and, bizarrely, Stirling Albion. But defeats to Falkirk and Dundee United, plus draws with Hearts and Kilmarnock, ultimately did for us, even though we won the last 7 matches.

I believe they were our official 'Away/Change' socks for the 1968-69 season, but I only ever recall us wearing them for that 6-1 v Aberdeen Semi Final at the Piggary.

I'd be interested to know someone else can tell us if we ever wore them in any other games.

6g8k9h.jpg
sq2ypd.jpg
fvbhnd.jpg
season-19681969-rangers-l-r-willie-johnston-andy-penman-colin-stein-BJNR74.jpg

We wore all-blue socks for the Cup-Winners Cup Final in 1967. I've not seen any more images of blue/white though:

2e0nxaa.jpg

Ibrox sometime after 1954. Looking at the terracing I'd date this between 1962 and 1966:

2l9t9nd.jpg
Possibly nearer to 1962 than 1966 ao2. To memory, the colour photographs in the book The Rangers Players Story?? showed shots of the Celtic End with the concreted section of the terracing about the same depth as shown in the aerial photograph you posted.

Possibly nearer to 1962 than 1966 ao2. To memory, the colour photographs in the book The Rangers Players Story?? showed shots of the Celtic End with the concreted section of the terracing about the same depth as shown in the aerial photograph you posted.

A good shout mate. I think the castellated press box was removed around 1964 and it's earlier than '66, which was when the Rangers End was covered of course.

Last edited:
Rangers 2-1 Aberdeen, League Cup Final, 31st March 1979. The game is well into injury time and the game is tied at 1-1 with extra-time a seeming certainty, until Colin Jackson soars into the air and powers home this cracking header to win Gers the cup.

I've always believed the Rangers-Aberdeen bad feeling dates back to this game as Ferguson went into overdrive after the sending off of Rougvie following an off the ball incident with Derek Johnstone, and from then on there has always seemed to be bad blood when the two clubs have met:

72f4n9.jpg

I remember all the papers Celtic skate it etc, if you look at the park you can see still some of the straw on the pitch. What Celtic did at that time to try and stop the pitch freezing didnae really work
It was the norm in the sixties to use straw to try and prevent the pitches freezing up. I remember bales of the stuff behind the goals at Ibrox. I seem to remember straw on the pitch at the 1968 Scotland v England game.

It was the norm in the sixties to use straw to try and prevent the pitches freezing up. I remember bales of the stuff behind the goals at Ibrox. I seem to remember straw on the pitch at the 1968 Scotland v England game.
I remember we used polythene covers cant remember straw at Ibrox but I might be wrang

I believe they were our official 'Away/Change' socks for the 1968-69 season, but I only ever recall us wearing them for that 6-1 v Aberdeen Semi Final at the Piggary.

I'd be interested to know someone else can tell us if we ever wore them in any other games.

6g8k9h.jpg
sq2ypd.jpg
fvbhnd.jpg
season-19681969-rangers-l-r-willie-johnston-andy-penman-colin-stein-BJNR74.jpg
We wore them rarely but also wore them away from home against Athletico Bilbao about 1969 in the second leg of the Fairs Cup iirc after we beat them at Ibrox in the 1st leg 4-1 or 4-2

We wore them rarely but also wore them away from home against Athletico Bilbao about 1969 in the second leg of the Fairs Cup iirc after we beat them at Ibrox in the 1st leg 4-1 or 4-2

Indeed we did mate. I have this photo but forgot we'd wore the blue/white socks in this game (we lost 0-2 but had won 4-1 at Ibrox):

21jn87q.jpg

Edit: Oops, just seen the post above has the same photo lol.

Back