Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

A great photo of John Greig in the summer of 1976 with the trophy haul from season 1975/76:

2jyNDNx.jpg

Rangers 3-2 Hibernian - Scottish Cup Final 2nd replay, 28th May 1979. Gers finally get their hands on the cup after one of the worst series of matches to decide the old trophy. To be fair this game was better than the first two, though that wouldn't have been difficult!:

mUFTSqL.jpg

Rangers 3-2 Hibernian - Scottish Cup Final 2nd replay, 28th May 1979. Gers finally get their hands on the cup after one of the worst series of matches to decide the old trophy. To be fair this game was better than the first two, though that wouldn't have been difficult!:

mUFTSqL.jpg

I had the dubious pleasure of attending all 3 games and can confirm the first two were bloody dreadful

DJ having played as a striker on the Saturday and scored the title winning goal after 22 secs, played at CH that night and put in a MOTM performance. Of course the following Saturday he notched two in the SCF against Hearts.
Quite a week for DJ.

My memory is he played in midfield that night and bossed the game.
DJ was the greatest all round versatile footballer I have ever seen. Genuinely international class as a centre forward, a centre half and a midfielder.

My memory is he played in midfield that night and bossed the game.
DJ was the greatest all round versatile footballer I have ever seen. Genuinely international class as a centre forward, a centre half and a midfielder.

They used to say he was a good keeper as well and played there in training games and that he would be the stand-in keeper if McCloy or Kennedy were taken off injured (no sub keepers on the bench for league or cup matches then of course). You have to wonder at how many goals DJ would have scored in his career if he hadn't played so many games in defence or midfield.

They used to say he was a good keeper as well and played there in training games and that he would be the stand-in keeper if McCloy or Kennedy were taken off injured (no sub keepers on the bench for league or cup matches then of course). You have to wonder at how many goals DJ would have scored in his career if he hadn't played so many games in defence or midfield.

Or if he took penalties. Did he ever take one?

Reactions: ao2
Rangers 2-1 Partick Thistle - 1st January 1972. Jim Denny takes on a Thistle player in a match with a dramatic finish. 0-1 down from the first half, two goals in the last 5 minutes, including a 90th minute winner from Derek Johstone, got 1972 off to a winning start for Rangers. Even bigger drama would unfold as the season progressed:

H5EdnKG.jpg

Last edited:
Eric Caldow's penalty miss in the first leg of the Cup-Winners Cup Final v Fiorentina at Ibrox, 17th May 1961. The keeper was almost at Caldow's feet when he hit the ball so it's hardly surprising he missed o_O. Unbelievably the referee let play continue without a re-take:

soG6XXX.jpg

Back