Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

image042.jpg

Rangers 1-0 Celtic - Scottish Cup QF, 6th March 1920. At the time this crowd of 85,000 was a record attendance:

hJh8Vju.jpg

The record lasted till the final. Albion Rovers, who beat Rangers in the semi after two replays and Kilmarnock pulled in 97,000. Hard to believe isn't it?

I think it being the first SC tournament after the Great War, had a lot to do with it. The punters obviously were starved of their fitba.

The record lasted till the final. Albion Rovers, who beat Rangers in the semi after two replays and Kilmarnock pulled in 97,000. Hard to believe isn't it?

I think it being the first SC tournament after the Great War, had a lot to do with it. The punters obviously were starved of their fitba.

Albion Rovers v Kilmarnock in 2020 (were it to happen lol) would be lucky to pull in 30,000 at most. An amazing attendance back in 1920 as you say.

Rangers 2-1 Dundee United, 4th April 1981. The photo is interesting as it's a rare image showing the still under construction Govan Stand, now Sandy Jardine Stand, taking shape in the background:

ombiutT.jpg

It was called the South Stand originally, I remember being in it the day it was first used v Celtic. Sadly we lost 2-0.

Reactions: ao2
It was called the South Stand originally, I remember being in it the day it was first used v Celtic. Sadly we lost 2-0.
Was it called the South Stand? I always thought it was the New North Stand. I remember a mate from school always referred to it as that rather than The Govan, for some reason.

Was it called the South Stand? I always thought it was the New North Stand. I remember a mate from school always referred to it as that rather than The Govan, for some reason.
Never heard it referred to in terms of North or South. It was always the Govan back in the early 80’s to us.
Don’t see how it could be the South Stand given its position - its the north end of the stadium.

I was there too :-(

It was officially opened with a 0-2 defeat to Liverpool in the December.

Never heard it referred to in terms of North or South. It was always the Govan back in the early 80’s to us.
Don’t see how it could be the South Stand given its position - its the north end of the stadium.

I'm an eejit.
It was called the North Stand, not south!

That's what it was called on the ticket for the Celtic game the day it was first used.

Why I thought it was South I have no idea.

Rangers 2-1 Dundee United, 4th April 1981. The photo is interesting as it's a rare image showing the still under construction Govan Stand, now Sandy Jardine Stand, taking shape in the background:

ombiutT.jpg
Was in there before the structure for the stand was up . Long way of saying i was one of the mob that broke through the fence at the Copeland rd end of the now Sandy Jardine stand when we played Aberdeen . Foundation trenches about 12 feet deep . Getting chased from the Copeland to the Broomloan by the cops while the game was being played . Quickest game i've ever seen

Was in there before the structure for the stand was up . Long way of saying i was one of the mob that broke through the fence at the Copeland rd end of the now Sandy Jardine stand when we played Aberdeen . Foundation trenches about 12 feet deep . Getting chased from the Copeland to the Broomloan by the cops while the game was being played . Quickest game i've ever seen
i can remember this ,didnt you all have a brief mini derry going ,showed definitely you were prepared to go everywhere anywhere

i can remember this ,didnt you all have a brief mini derry going ,showed definitely you were prepared to go everywhere anywhere
Brief being the word .There one minute gone the next. Getting chased along by the cops and making sure you didnt fall into the founds.

ombiutT.jpg

Great picture. The day I was born as well.

Reactions: ao2
I can see ali59 pics,
but none of ao2's

It happens on here sometimes for some reason. There are times I can't see the ones I've posted and then later I can. Some I can see on my phone or tablet but not on the laptop. It's really weird and it's been happening since the forum changed over. All I can say is keep logging in mate and eventually you should see the photos.

Back