Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

The first trophy I remember us winning. I had pictures of it on my wall for years. Must admit, I had semi forgotten Alex Miller played.

Did he not keep Sandy Jardine out of the team for most of that season?

Rangers played in that strip from 68-69 onwards so it's possible this game is earlier than 1970. Also Andy Penman never had a nose like that

It's definitely not one of the 1968 matches as we wore the v-neck strip at the new year and the later ones in the league and League Cup we wore short sleeves. I'm inclined to go with the 3-1-70 match but I still can't tell if it's Henderson or Penman! I'm 51-49 on Henderson!

That was the treble season in 75-76.

Alex Miller must have been very young in 1970. And Sandy played in that 1970 final.

Sorry mate, I thought it was the 75/76 season that was getting discussed.

Not a bad start to your trophy collection though. :))

Yes, people just didn't open up in those days, especially men. My Dad only ever spoke to me about the 1961 match when he was injured the once in any detail. I knew he'd been at the game but one day he just told me he'd been hurt and was lying on top of one of the guys who was killed. Something like that is never going to leave you. That's great your wife and pal have been such a big help to you mate and good to hear it's helped in a big way.

I get where your dad was coming from. I was a closed book basically with my family too as regarding that day and its ensuing lifelong effects it had. They knew it had had a huge impact on me and never broached the subject with me. That in its own way was a great help to me. Cheers for your comments ao2. Its upwards and onwards now mate :)

This is what i love about this thread, the way it reignites memories. In the main this thread delivers every single time for me. The wonderful memories of great times spent at games with family, and friends brought back to life through the images. I've benefitted greatly from the images posted on here. Its fantastic to belong to the Family of Rangers!

Reactions: ao2
It's definitely not one of the 1968 matches as we wore the v-neck strip at the new year and the later ones in the league and League Cup we wore short sleeves. I'm inclined to go with the 3-1-70 match but I still can't tell if it's Henderson or Penman! I'm 51-49 on Henderson!
I'm talking about the 4-2 game in Sept 68. We wore the badged strip in that one for the first time at the piggery. The new year game was at Ibrox that season. It wasn't the 1-3 SC game as the park was a mud bath in that one.
Just murkying the waters even further mate
I agree It isn't Penman by the way.

The game is 100% 3rd Jan 1970.
Other pictures from that day.
2nd last picture Henderson has short sleeve shirt (1st half)
GW921H580
GW620H439
GW599H385
GW979H712
GW534H576

The 69-70 new year game or the 70-71 first game against them?
Sorry to be pedantic, these games are just before I really remember any details so fascinated how you can tell what game it is.
The 69/70 game was played on a frozen pitch, so I'd think this could be the 70/71 game.

I'm talking about the 4-2 game in Sept 68. We wore the badged strip in that one for the first time at the piggery. The new year game was at Ibrox that season. It wasn't the 1-3 SC game as the park was a mud bath in that one.
Just murkying the waters even further mate
I agree It isn't Penman by the way.

We wore the badge strip at the piggery for a League Cup game on 24th August 1968 mate (lost 0-1) and then came the 4-2 game 2 weeks later. In both we were in short sleeves so it can't be either of those. In '69 we won 4-3 in the Glasgow Cup SF and lost 0-1 in a League Cup match but these were both floodlit so I think we can count those out too. Which leaves either the 0-0 draw in January 1970 or the 0-2 defeat in the September. I'd go with the January game but can't be sure. I agree it can't be the February Scottish Cup game as that was played on a paddy field lol.

I get where your dad was coming from. I was a closed book basically with my family too as regarding that day and its ensuing lifelong effects it had. They knew it had had a huge impact on me and never broached the subject with me. That in its own way was a great help to me. Cheers for your comments ao2. Its upwards and onwards now mate :)

This is what i love about this thread, the way it reignites memories. In the main this thread delivers every single time for me. The wonderful memories of great times spent at games with family, and friends brought back to life through the images. I've benefitted greatly from the images posted on here. Its fantastic to belong to the Family of Rangers!

I agree mate. Imagine waking up every morning as a Tim! Mind you, even as one of them your first thought would be about Rangers :))

I love this thread too and every time I log into it there's something new to enjoy. It's the best one on the forum for me.

Last edited:
The match report for the Jan 1970 game states Rangers had a failed bid for Aberdeen's Bobby Clark the day before the match.
Aberdeen turned in down and Gerry Neef went on to have a great game.

2zYrgEv.png

Can anybody put me out of my misery, here? The photo above shows George Young presenting John Greig and Derek Johnstone with silver salvers to commemorate goals milestones.

I was at the game and saw the presentation, but I can't - for the life of me - remember what the milestones were!

I'm guessing it was around the mid-70s, and I know that the 6,000th league goal was scored by Derek Parlane in 1974, but I'm sure the salvers were for different totals.

2zYrgEv.png

Can anybody put me out of my misery, here? The photo above shows George Young presenting John Greig and Derek Johnstone with silver salvers to commemorate goals milestones.

I was at the game and saw the presentation, but I can't - for the life of me - remember what the milestones were!

I'm guessing it was around the mid-70s, and I know that the 6,000th league goal was scored by Derek Parlane in 1974, but I'm sure the salvers were for different totals.

I think they were for 6,000 league goals and 10,000 overall, scored by DJ and John Greig in the same game remarkably, v Clyde in March 1974. I'm sure it's been discovered that the totals were wrong though!

I think they were for 6,000 league goals and 10,000 overall, scored by DJ and John Greig in the same game remarkably, v Clyde in March 1974. I'm sure it's been discovered that the totals were wrong though!

Thanks for that, ao2. That's weird, those are the totals that were in my mind. I know that Greg Stewart scored our 10,000th on Sunday, and these seem to be the 1, 2, 3 ,4 etc '000th goal scorers down the years ...

1,000th league goal: Alex Smith v Clyde - December 1906.
2,000th league goal: Jimmy Gordon v Kilmarnock - September 1919.
3,000th league goal: Bob McGowan v Cowdenbeath - December 1930.
4,000th league goal: Jimmy Duncanson v Dundee - December 1947.
5,000th league goal: Alex Scott v Ayr United - April 1961.
6,000th league goal: Derek Parlane v Hearts - January 1974.
7,000th league goal: Ally McCoist v Motherwell - December 1989.
8,000th league goal: Shota Arveladze v Dundee - August 2002.
9,000th league goal: Lee McCulloch v Raith Rovers - October 2014.

Thanks for that, ao2. That's weird, those are the totals that were in my mind. I know that Greg Stewart scored our 10,000th on Sunday, and these seem to be the 1, 2, 3 ,4 etc '000th goal scorers down the years ...

If we scored number 9000 just 5 years ago, we can't have now got to 10,000?

I was at the game when the 5,000th goal was scored. Im sure it was Ian McMillan that scored it. It was a goal and a day that stuck in my memory.

It was Ian McMillan v Raith Rovers on October 14th 1961 who scored our 5,000th goal. From the Rangers Football Companion book.

XKMRgFP.jpg

Last edited:

I remember Robert McElroy and 'The Rangers Historian' magazine did a feature on the landmark goals and he had the goals as different to the ones Rangers celebrated in 1974. I wish I still had the stats. I'm sure he had the 5,000th league goal as against Raith Rovers in October 1961 and those in 1974 were different too. I think it depends on if you include wartime games and which newspaper you look at as your source as sometimes in the days before TV replays there were disputes over who scored certain goals.

If we scored number 9000 just 5 years ago, we can't have now got to 10,000?

I think it's down to if you include the wartime games between 1939 and 1946 which are usually considered unofficial. The scum have always included their wartime goals in their total for the league (which makes you wonder why they always dismiss the 8-1 game in 1943 as they count their goal in their stats!) whereas Rangers, being honest, have normally discounted the goals in the war. I think some are counting them and others aren't. It's a statistical minefield!

The match report for the Jan 1970 game states Rangers had a failed bid for Aberdeen's Bobby Clark the day before the match.
Aberdeen turned in down and Gerry Neef went on to have a great game.
Clark was a good keeper who would have fitted right in at Ibrox.

I always thought Bobby Clark was a decent keeper but the big Gas was a good servant for The Rangers. He was also involved at the start of Alfie Conn’s last minute winner against Celtic in January 1973. Hopefully some of the more tech savvy lads on the forum can oblige with a clip of the goal.

Here's the 2 goals.

Thanks dh1963. That Alfie Conn winner meant so much to us. Although we had won the Cup Winners Cup the previous year, they still had the hex over us. That win was vital for us and although we just fell short that season in the League, we knew we could beat them. And we did the next time we played them.

Thanks dh1963. That Alfie Conn winner meant so much to us. Although we had won the Cup Winners Cup the previous year, they still had the hex over us. That win was vital for us and although we just fell short that season in the League, we knew we could beat them. And we did the next time we played them.

That next time was my first Cup final, first game v Celtic and first Hampden party.

And still among my favourites.

Clark made fewer errors.
You are another, AV, who I respect your opinion when posting on the forum. We obviously saw a lot more of Peter McCloy than Bobby Clark during their playing days. Not withstanding seeing the big Gas swinging on his crossbar in John Greig’s last game for us (Cup Final against Aberdeen) as a total miskick from the Aberdeen player dropped into the net, imo, they were about similar in abilities.

It was Ian McMillan v Raith Rovers on October 14th 1961 who scored our 5,000th goal. From the Rangers Football Companion book.

XKMRgFP.jpg
And that is how I remember it. McMillan fired a shot towards goal from the edge of the box - Brand was in the way but instead of flicking it on, he dummied and let it through his legs to give McMillan the honour.

Back