Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Haven't come across one yet mate, but there were a few pics of a Wilson OF goal a couple of months back, probably not the same one but they were posted by A02 so you might want to try him for it.

John Greig nets against Airdrie in a League Cup sectional tie at Ibrox on September 6th 1961 in a 4-1 win.
Think I'm right in saying that was John Greig's Rangers debut.
Correct, his first competitive match in the first team. I was too young for this one but I made it to his last when he lifted the 1978 Scottish Cup at Hampden.

Jim Christie made his Home debut in this game also, scoring the second goal in the 40th minute.
10 days later, Jim Christie would score 5 Goals in 3 Games, in 4 days, all at Ibrox.
This meant that Christie scored 6 goals in his first 4 games at Ibrox in a two week period in Sept 1961.
Sept 2nd...LC...4-1 v Airdrie.....(J.Christie, R.Brand(2) and an 18 year old John Greig on his debut).
Sept 12th..EC...3-2 v Monaco...(J.Christie (2), A.Scott)
Sept 13th..LC...3-1 v East Fife...(J.Christie (2), H.Davis) Note 2 games in 24 Hours, 3 days prior to the Celtic game!
Sept 16th..D1...2-2 v Celtic.......(J.Christie, J.Baxter)

Despite that astonishing start, Jim Christie would make only ONE more appearance at Ibrox,
in that infamous 1-5 defeat to Dundee, some two months later.
I can only guess that he got lost in the fog that day!!!!!!!!!
He never played for Rangers again.
His total stats for Rangers were 8 Goals in 8 appearances!

Jim Christie made his Home debut in this game also, scoring the second goal in the 40th minute.
10 days later, Jim Christie would score 5 Goals in 3 Games, in 4 days, all at Ibrox.
This meant that Christie scored 6 goals in his first 4 games at Ibrox in a two week period in Sept 1961.
Sept 2nd...LC...4-1 v Airdrie.....(J.Christie, R.Brand(2) and an 18 year old John Greig on his debut).
Sept 12th..EC...3-2 v Monaco...(J.Christie (2), A.Scott)
Sept 13th..LC...3-1 v East Fife...(J.Christie (2), H.Davis) Note 2 games in 24 Hours, 3 days prior to the Celtic game!
Sept 16th..D1...2-2 v Celtic.......(J.Christie, J.Baxter)

Despite that astonishing start, Jim Christie would make only ONE more appearance at Ibrox,
in that infamous 1-5 defeat to Dundee, some two months later.
I can only guess that he got lost in the fog that day!!!!!!!!!
He never played for Rangers again.
His total stats for Rangers were 8 Goals in 8 appearances!
I think Christie is the player looking on as Greig scores, if he had squared it then Christie may have had 9 goals in 8 games!

Jim Christie would never have replaced Jimmy Millar or Brand in that team,then you had Forrest coming through.
Jim Christie was a BB officer.

Max Murray scores at Fir Park, unsure of the date but it's possibly 2 weeks after the above match v Dundee when we drew 2-2 against Motherwell in the next round of the Cup. If so, we got humped 2-5 in the replay at Ibrox in front of an incredible 90,000 crowd!

The Dundee game was on February 11th. The date of the 2-2 draw with Motherwell was February 25th 1961. The replay at Ibrox was on the 1st of March.

Thanks to poster 'Baxter' on here for giving me access to his old scrapbooks which are full of old newspaper cuttings showing great shots of our heroes in action. The last few pictures and the ones I'll be posting over the next few weeks are credit to him & his lifelong love of The Rangers. Cheers Baxter!

March 3rd 1961, Third Lanark keeper Robertson has just punched an Alex Scott cross onto the crossbar only to turn and see it drop into his net for Rangers third goal in a 3-1 win.

Thanks to poster 'Baxter' on here for giving me access to his old scrapbooks which are full of old newspaper cuttings showing great shots of our heroes in action. The last few pictures and the ones I'll be posting over the next few weeks are credit to him & his lifelong love of The Rangers. Cheers Baxter!

March 3rd 1961, Third Lanark keeper Robertson has just punched an Alex Scott cross onto the crossbar only to turn and see it drop into his net for Rangers third goal in a 3-1 win.

Jocky Robertson was the smallest keeper I can ever recall seeing. He was 5ft 5 and a half inches tall though was a good shot stopper but as that pic shows cross balls werent his forte.

Does any group member have a picture of any of these goals against Celtic. Millar & Brand 20/8/60, Davis & Brand 3/9/60, Brand & Wilson 10/9/60 ( got other 3 ). Wilson 2/1/61, Wilson 5/9/64, Henderson 30/4/65, Johnston's second goal 11/4/69, Persson 13/8/69, McCoist's second and third 9/5/86. They are hard ones to find.
Was hoping maybe ao2 might have one of these.

Reactions: ao2
W0z5yE0.jpg

What game us the Graham Robert's picture from?
Must be 1986-87 by the shirt, but I have no memory of us wearing plain blue socks with that shirt.
Yes, must be 86/87 but we had red socks then. We certainly played Celtic in the 2-2 game at Ibrox with blue socks the following season 87/88 but McEwans Lager were the shirt sponsors.

Last edited:
Good spot...I haven't either.
As I said earlier its from our league winning game at Pittodrie 2/5/87 . We wore blue socks so as not to clash with Aberdeen's red as we often did against them. The 1969 Scottish cup semi final springs to mind. I would post a picture but I'm not allowed to as I seemingly don't have enough posts.

As I said earlier its from our league winning game at Pittodrie 2/5/87 . We wore blue socks so as not to clash with Aberdeen's red as we often did against them. The 1969 Scottish cup semi final springs to mind. I would post a picture but I'm not allowed to as I seemingly don't have enough posts.

Well remembered.
I was there but that detail passed me by.

Well remembered.
I was there but that detail passed me by.
I was there too in fact I'm in the video after Butcher scores . I come into the centre of the left hand side of the screen at 1 min 51 sec and move to the middle of screen at 1min 55. I'm wearing a black jacket and feeling for my gold chain my mate snapped of my neck celebrating the goal. Lol

The very first game my dad took me to was v Arsenal pre season in August 1968. I was only 4 so don't remember much at all. I do have a vague memory of fans spilling out on to the pitch. Not sure as many as in these pictures, but maybe a slightly older fan might know if this is that Arsenal game.

I’m sure the poster Jimbear ? has posted about the amount
of (gang) fights at the Arsenal game previously.

That’ll be the 6-1 game at Parkhead. Great victory.

Back