Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Ibrox in the 1970s. This is how I remember the stadium from my childhood:

8tpKLYY.jpg

Dundee 1-1 Rangers, 30th March 1963 at a packed Dens Park (almost 37,000 attended - what does it hold now?). Gers won the replay 4 days later, 3-2:

5A57XEJ.jpg

My dad used to talk about that replay, and said it was as big an Ibrox crowd as he was ever in.
Think we were 2-1 down till late on?

Dundee 1-1 Rangers, 30th March 1963 at a packed Dens Park (almost 37,000 attended - what does it hold now?). Gers won the replay 4 days later, 3-2:

5A57XEJ.jpg

What a team Dundee had back then too! Our games against them were viewed as crucial and the resultant crowds reflected this whenever the sides met.

Reactions: ao2
My dad used to talk about that replay, and said it was as big an Ibrox crowd as he was ever in.
Think we were 2-1 down till late on?

Yes mate. We went 1-0 up, then 1-2 down, then 2-2 till the winner from Brand in the 88th minute. Dundee were a great team then and one of our main rivals, along with Kilmarnock. The scum weren't at the races at this point.

Rangers 1-0 Celtic, 5th May 1979. Alex MacDonald looks slightly pleased at scoring the only goal lol. This league game was a home match for Gers as Ibrox was under reconstruction at the time. The "faithful through and through" mob turned out in numbers as you can see :)):

zMlii5r.jpg

The game v Airdrie that John Greig was in a chariot?

That's the one. Apparently Willie Waddell wanted him to dress as a pantomime dame for the occasion and then rip off his dress in the centre circle to reveal who it really was! Greig refused (not surprisingly!) and the chariot ride was the compromise :))

That's the one. Apparently Willie Waddell wanted him to dress as a pantomime dame for the occasion and then rip off his dress in the centre circle to reveal who it really was! Greig refused (not surprisingly!) and the chariot ride was the compromise :))

Can't imagine Jock Wallace agreeing to that one even if Greig had been daft enough.

Reactions: ao2
Back