Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

I don't recall us wearing shorts like that before. Was that a first ?
No starting wearing them in 56 v OGC NICE

<a href="https://ibb.co/zXky2cQ">
fpage7690

My 1st E
IxkbxtA.jpg

Captains John Greig and Billy Bremner at Fair Cities Quarter Cup Final tie which ended 0-0 at Ibrox.

5CeIf2w.jpg
IxkbxtA.jpg

Captains John Greig and Billy Bremner at Fair Cities Quarter Cup Final tie which ended 0-0 at Ibrox.

5CeIf2w.jpg
My 1st European game, 85 thousand crowd.
Also attended the beam back game at Ibrox, nearly 50 thousand for that.

I think Bobby Shearer left to sign for QOS that season i think Provan and Caldow were the usual full backs. Then i think Kai Johansen was bought from Morton 65/66 and Eric Caldows games were limited then the next season. Baxter left to go to Sunderland 1965/66

Last edited:
Start of season 1964-65? Thinking that as Baxter was away by the following season.
Although wasn't Bobby Shearer still at the club then? Surely he would be in the picture.

Not sure when the photo was taken but it is for the 64-65 squad, as far as I'm aware.

Maybe the picture wasn't a pre season one but after the season started.

Shearer was still playing for us in the October.

I wonder if the photo was taken just before the 1964-65 League Cup Final.

I think you might be spot on there.
Shearer was in the pre season Team photo dead centre as Captain.
Shearer played his last game on Oct 10th (two weeks before the League Cup Final).
Caldow made his first appearance of the season, one week later on Oct 17th.
Willie Johnston, who was in the reserve colours in the pre season photo, had made 4 appearances prior to the LCF (collecting his first Winners medal after only 5 appearances).

Henderson was injured and missed the final, and Davy Wilson who was an ever present in our first 16 games that season, would once again miss out on the Final for the second successive year, having played in every single game leading up to the Final, in both years!

I know Baxter Captained us that day to our sixth consecutive domestic trophy,
but I have a question for you.
Who became our Captain that 1964-65 season?
I don't remember Baxter leading us out very often, and I'm sure Caldow Captained us for the Ne'erday win over the Filth.
We obviously started out with Shearer, then Baxter, then Caldow.
Did John Greig ever lead us out that season?

Start of season 1964-65? Thinking that as Baxter was away by the following season.
Although wasn't Bobby Shearer still at the club then? Surely he would be in the picture.

Pretty sure it was 64/65. The puzzler being why the three trophies from the previous season weren't on parade. - P0ssibly, not an official snap?

I don;t think Bobby Shearer left officially to the end of the 64/65 season.

I think you might be spot on there.
Shearer was in the pre season Team photo dead centre as Captain.
Shearer played his last game on Oct 10th (two weeks before the League Cup Final).
Caldow made his first appearance of the season, one week later on Oct 17th.
Willie Johnston, who was in the reserve colours in the pre season photo, had made 4 appearances prior to the LCF (collecting his first Winners medal after only 5 appearances).

Henderson was injured and missed the final, and Davy Wilson who was an ever present in our first 16 games that season, would once again miss out on the Final for the second successive year, having played in every single game leading up to the Final, in both years!

I know Baxter Captained us that day to our sixth consecutive domestic trophy,
but I have a question for you.
Who became our Captain that 1964-65 season?
I don't remember Baxter leading us out very often, and I'm sure Caldow Captained us for the Ne'erday win over the Filth.
We obviously started out with Shearer, then Baxter, then Caldow.
Did John Greig ever lead us out that season?
I don’t know, unfortunately. If Eric Caldow played when Jim Baxter was out with a broken ankle, it is likely he was captain.

I remember a photo of Jim Baxter’s first game back at Ibrox after injury where he is leading the team out. Billy Ritchie and the rest of the team had stopped at the mouth of the tunnel leaving Baxter to run out on his own.

Davie Wilson has also said in his recent book that he was captain for a couple of League Cup games at the start of 65-66 so Scot Symon was obviously still tinkering with his choice of captain at that time.

Back