Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

E4VVGVLWYAAIzAT
Wonder who Roberts was giving the finger too In that photo

Willie Waddell & Willie Thornton with Harry Catterick at Goodison Park circa 1971 -

1625062573031-png.131989

Does anyone know the reason for this visit? There were no Rangers fixtures against Everton or other teams from the North West in 1971 as far as I can remember.

I may be barking up the wrong tree here but, notwithstanding the fact a German model was later used, was WW maybe checking out ideas for the Ibrox rebuild following the disaster? Everton had just knocked down the old Main Stand and terracing and rebuilt a triple decker at this time.

Willie Waddell & Willie Thornton with Harry Catterick at Goodison Park circa 1971 -

1625062573031-png.131989

Does anyone know the reason for this visit? There were no Rangers fixtures against Everton or other teams from the North West in 1971 as far as I can remember.

I may be barking up the wrong tree here but, notwithstanding the fact a German model was later used, was WW maybe checking out ideas for the Ibrox rebuild following the disaster? Everton had just knocked down the old Main Stand and terracing and rebuilt a triple decker at this time.

We played them at Ibrox in August that year. Maybe it was to sort out arrangements, though I'd be shocked if it took a visit there to do that.

1625062573031-png.131989

To be honest that looks like the Enclosure in the background. We played Everton in a pre-season friendly around 71-72 EDIT @ao2 quicker on the draw there

Third Lanark v Rangers, c.1960:

HDzxQOn.jpg
Yes. I'm pretty sure the wooden gates at Cathkin were forced open that day around kick off time. It was searing heat and the crowds outside the turnstyles were utterly chaotic.
Cheers were echoing out from inside the ground heralding the appearance of both teams cue the gates being forced. It was a very scary situation!
Rangers won 2-0 that day which was on August 8th.1961, League Cup tie.

1625062573031-png.131989

Isn't that Ibrox?

I remember going to a friendly against Everton when I was wee, pretty sure a young DJ scored twice and we won 2-1. Must have been around then.

Isn't that Ibrox?

I remember going to a friendly against Everton when I was wee, pretty sure a young DJ scored twice and we won 2-1. Must have been around then.
We played and defeated Everton 2-1 on the Friday, then played and defeated Spurs 1-0 on the Monday.

As you say 2 goals from Johnstone against Everton, og from Phil Beal on the Monday.

To be honest that looks like the Enclosure in the background. We played Everton in a pre-season friendly around 71-72 EDIT @ao2 quicker on the draw there
Thanks for all your help - The Meik's Crombie, dh1963, Lairdo

I got the photo from an Historical Society down South who were seeking information. Their catalogue records say it was taken at Goodison and I have to admit the stand in the picture does look very much like the old Park End at Goodison, pre boarding up, so took it as read.

The Ibrox Enclosure & 1971 friendly explanation make sense now and I'll let the Society know.

Unfortunately, I missed the 71 game but made it to the Everton v Rangers testimonial game in 74 (and remember the Rangers streaker :)) but Waddell, Thornton & Catterick had all gone by then.

Back