Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

League Cup Final 1970

JjLRxuM.jpg

tBJetz8.jpg

6U2MhUf.jpg

mmHGYYg.jpg

Yes. I'm pretty sure the wooden gates at Cathkin were forced open that day around kick off time. It was searing heat and the crowds outside the turnstyles were utterly chaotic.
Cheers were echoing out from inside the ground heralding the appearance of both teams cue the gates being forced. It was a very scary situation!
Rangers won 2-0 that day which was on August 8th.1961, League Cup tie.

That's my dad's face nearest the policeman's hand (right hand side). That picture appeared in the newspaper, my mum was raging.

League Cup Final 1970

JjLRxuM.jpg

tBJetz8.jpg

6U2MhUf.jpg

mmHGYYg.jpg
I second @ItsInTheNet comments. I have not seen the first and last photos. It is strange to think that at those moments, me and my pals were going berserk and we did not know that the young goalscorer would become a hero of ours in the years to come. Also good to see Willie Wallace with a wry smile on his face in the last photo.

Last edited:
Rangers Billy Williamson is challenged by Alec Boden. Williamson scored the fourth in a resounding 4-0 victory for The Rangers.

Celtic had called for their fans to boycott the fixture due to what they perceived to be biased refereeing in 2 previous clashes.

Somethings never change eh :rolleyes: .

The 65,000 crowd were mainly Rangers supporters and the opposite end sparsely populated. A thrashing was well deserved and duly delivered :))

Yes. Motherwell had a great side back then, Ancell Babes as they were known. This is the game you refer too I think. Over 80,000 were present including a smaller version of myself ha ha.

George Niven, Harold Davis at forefront and I think Bill Paterson is the other Ranger far left.

I thought the player on the left of the photo was Eric Caldow

Rangers Billy Williamson is challenged by Alec Boden. Williamson scored the fourth in a resounding 4-0 victory for The Rangers.

Celtic had called for their fans to boycott the fixture due to what they perceived to be biased refereeing in 2 previous clashes.

Somethings never change eh :rolleyes: .

The 65,000 crowd were mainly Rangers supporters and the opposite end sparsely populated. A thrashing was well deserved and duly delivered :))

Is this not Williamson scoring the fourth.

Great photo that, one of my favourite cup finals ever, look at Durrant in the background that pose summed him up that day , glorious!
Was there ever a goal where that bandy prick never ran after the referee or linesman.

Other than of course the first one in that game, which keeps him up at night! They only complained about the free kick being given.

Back