Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Rangers 2-1 Celtic, 6th January 1973. Derek Parlane takes a penalty, misses, but scores with the rebound. Callaghan is not amused!:

5zZJwji.jpg

If anyone ever gets the chance to go to an evening with Derek Parlane , he tells a very good story with regards to this penalty incident.

Great photo that, one of my favourite cup finals ever, look at Durrant in the background that pose summed him up that day , glorious!
Loved that game and recorded it on a video tape. I was at Paisley Tech at the time and took the video in one day to watch again on a wet lunch time with my mates in the class. It was one of those old lecture theatres with the tiered seating and there were two TVs/monitors mounted up high pointing to the back of the lecture theatre so the lecturer couldn't see the screens from where he normally stood. We decided to turn the sound down and try to keep the video running during the lecture. As our classmates came in gradually we told them of our plan to keep the game running until the lecturer noticed. Eventually had a class of about 70 half watching the football and half listening to the lecturer. We got right to the end of the lecture then someone said what was happening. Lecturer smiled then threw his chalk on the floor as he walked out - he was a good guy.

So good memories from watching the game live, and then the replay.

Loved that game and recorded it on a video tape. I was at Paisley Tech at the time and took the video in one day to watch again on a wet lunch time with my mates in the class. It was one of those old lecture theatres with the tiered seating and there were two TVs/monitors mounted up high pointing to the back of the lecture theatre so the lecturer couldn't see the screens from where he normally stood. We decided to turn the sound down and try to keep the video running during the lecture. As our classmates came in gradually we told them of our plan to keep the game running until the lecturer noticed. Eventually had a class of about 70 half watching the football and half listening to the lecturer. We got right to the end of the lecture then someone said what was happening. Lecturer smiled then threw his chalk on the floor as he walked out - he was a good guy.

So good memories from watching the game live, and then the replay.
Thats brilliant, I remember when the game went to penalties I hoped my mum had left our video running to record the whole thing and there was enough tape on it :cool:

I’d hazard a guess this is 1960 - the appearance of Ian McColl* convinces me!

*Spelling?
Correct mate !
1960-61 season, love these old pictures it makes me happy and nostalgic at the same time.

Ian McColl exactly, but after some research, he apparently made his last season with us in on the 1959-60 season, after 575 apparences if numbers are correct.

I wonder where Tommy McLean was that night, only one missing. Assume it's from 2007 when we played Barcelona?

I should know, but can't think who the first man is in the back row, beside the late Colin Jackson?
Yes, taken in 2007.

The reason Tommy McLean isn't in the photo was because, at the time, he worked for the SFA's youth development staff and also as an SPL delegate. Apparently, he couldn't travel because he had a prior appointment at work!

I'd have taken a few days off sick to be honest.

4 of the 5 Rangers players in the first picture no longer with us.

We just never got going that night, massive let down.
It was a really strange atmosphere that night. The game was re-arranged from the Wednesday to the Thursday because of heavy snow. Although it is now common to play on a Thursday, there was something really strange about playing on a Thursday then. Difficult to put a finger on the reason.

A really disappointing end to a great European run. Cologne were not a patch on Juventus or PSV.

Back