Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

After Mr Gordon, quite rightly IMO, signalled for a bye kick and then waved played on, it was surreal seeing them heading towards our penalty area and we were heading for theirs. Not sure I agree with @dh1963 with his scurrilous statement that John Greig MBE was 5 yards offside. My recollection is that the flailing Frank Munro, who ended on his back, was playing big John onside.
Two players required to play him onside.It’s usually the keeper and one defender.
It may have touched the other defender when Tommy passed it.Watched it a number of times , still not sure.
My memory from that day was it looked off side.

Two players required to play him onside.It’s usually the keeper and one defender.
It may have touched the other defender when Tommy passed it.Watched it a number of times , still not sure.
My memory from that day was it looked off side.
I am sorry guys but I was in prime position at the Rangers end throughout that move. Big Greig was never offside!!

I am sorry guys but I was in prime position at the Rangers end throughout that move. Big Greig was never offside!!
Like you I was in the Rangers end as that goal unfolded, it was bedlam when Greig stuck it away. If memory serves me their players were protesting so much that BJK had to come onto the park to get his team to take the kick off & restart the match. Scum then, scum now.

Johnny Hubbard scores a penalty at Ibrox. I think it's against Kilmarnock but it could be you know who too!:

9NqPLgP.jpg
Going to take a stab at this being the 1957 LC QF 2nd leg on Saturday September 14th, we had lost 2-1 at Rugby Park on the previous Wednesday which brought out a bumper crowd of 78,000 for the 2nd leg which we won 3-1 with goals from Scott, Simpson and a Hubbard penalty. The picture is taken looking towards the Rangers end and it looks to be packed, so it could well have been a huge crowd. The other Ranger in the picture could possibly be Billy Simpson, or a guy called Willie Moles who played 5 times at centre half for us that season although I've no idea what he looked like!

Going to take a stab at this being the 1957 LC QF 2nd leg on Saturday September 14th, we had lost 2-1 at Rugby Park on the previous Wednesday which brought out a bumper crowd of 78,000 for the 2nd leg which we won 3-1 with goals from Scott, Simpson and a Hubbard penalty. The picture is taken looking towards the Rangers end and it looks to be packed, so it could well have been a huge crowd. The other Ranger in the picture could possibly be Billy Simpson, or a guy called Willie Moles who played 5 times at centre half for us that season although I've no idea what he looked like!

That's a good shout mate!

Like you I was in the Rangers end as that goal unfolded, it was bedlam when Greig stuck it away. If memory serves me their players were protesting so much that BJK had to come onto the park to get his team to take the kick off & restart the match. Scum then, scum now.
That is how I remember it too as Stein finally came onto the touchline and told them to get on with it. They were not happy (although I never understood why) and it seemed to be at least a couple of minutes or maybe more after big John scored before the game restarted.

A great day.

The famous 1968 game at Parkhead which Rangers won 4-2

AFTER the second Rangers goal went in, courtesy of Willie Johnston, there was pandemonium in the ‘blue’ end of Celtic Park. “To say that their supporters were ecstatic would be putting it mildly,” wrote the Glasgow Herald’s Glyn Edwards. “Several even had to receive medical attention behind the goal after having been caught up in the delirium”.

It was Saturday, September 14, 1968, the second week of the new league season. Celtic had won the previous three league titles, and Rangers had a lot to play for in the new campaign.

Örjan Persson put them ahead in the 17th minute, followed quickly by Johnston. Both strikers, said Edwards, had a field day. (Highlights of the game, shot by a Rangers fan using a Super 8mm camera, are viewable on YouTube).

Willie Wallace reduced the leeway in the 29th minute, then Bobby Lennox had a goal disallowed for offside.
Incident crowded upon incident thereafter. Jimmy Johnstone struck the bar in the course of producing several mesmeric runs; and [Norrie] Martin and [Ronnie] Simpson pulled out one magnificent save after another”.

At one point, Celtic’s Billy McNeill and Rangers’s Sandy Jardine landed off the pitch after leaping for a header together.

Andy Penman increased Rangers's lead in 65 minutes. Wallace got a second goal for Celtic, but with moments remaining Jardine sent in a cross and Willie Johnston headed home, to make the final score Celtic 2, Rangers 4.

It was the first Rangers victory in Old Firm match for exactly 12 months, and their first at Parkhead since New Year’s Day, 1964. Edwards wrote that the result injected new life into the Scottish game, for had Celtic won, the league championship might well have been over before it had had time to get off the ground.

The famous 1968 game at Parkhead which Rangers won 4-2

AFTER the second Rangers goal went in, courtesy of Willie Johnston, there was pandemonium in the ‘blue’ end of Celtic Park. “To say that their supporters were ecstatic would be putting it mildly,” wrote the Glasgow Herald’s Glyn Edwards. “Several even had to receive medical attention behind the goal after having been caught up in the delirium”.

It was Saturday, September 14, 1968, the second week of the new league season. Celtic had won the previous three league titles, and Rangers had a lot to play for in the new campaign.

Örjan Persson put them ahead in the 17th minute, followed quickly by Johnston. Both strikers, said Edwards, had a field day. (Highlights of the game, shot by a Rangers fan using a Super 8mm camera, are viewable on YouTube).

Willie Wallace reduced the leeway in the 29th minute, then Bobby Lennox had a goal disallowed for offside.
Incident crowded upon incident thereafter. Jimmy Johnstone struck the bar in the course of producing several mesmeric runs; and [Norrie] Martin and [Ronnie] Simpson pulled out one magnificent save after another”.

At one point, Celtic’s Billy McNeill and Rangers’s Sandy Jardine landed off the pitch after leaping for a header together.

Andy Penman increased Rangers's lead in 65 minutes. Wallace got a second goal for Celtic, but with moments remaining Jardine sent in a cross and Willie Johnston headed home, to make the final score Celtic 2, Rangers 4.

It was the first Rangers victory in Old Firm match for exactly 12 months, and their first at Parkhead since New Year’s Day, 1964. Edwards wrote that the result injected new life into the Scottish game, for had Celtic won, the league championship might well have been over before it had had time to get off the ground.

End to end stuff that day and it really could have ended 4-6. The Rangers end was packed that day with also about a third of the main stand, enclosure and jungle full of Bears.
Edit: 6-4 to us.

End to end stuff that day and it really could have ended 4-6. The Rangers end was packed that day with also about a third of the main stand, enclosure and jungle full of Bears.
Edit: 6-4 to us.
They got a good allocation at Ibrox at that time The Celtic end, about 1/3 of the covered enclosure, the west enclosure and 1.5 k in the main stand

Don Kichenbrand v Hearts at Tynecastle
Great picture and gives an idea of the pulling power of Rangers at Tynecastle, the place is packed. Rangers and Hearts attracted several crowds in the 50,000 region for matches in Edinburgh in the 1950's and the Tynecastle club's record attendance is an incredible 53,396 for a 1932 Scottish Cup tie against, you guessed it, The Famous! Having been in the old Tynecastle with just over 30,000 in it I can barely imagine what it was like with 50,000 plus.

Back