Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Sorensen could be brilliant one minute and a clown the next, if memory serves me he cost us the Scottish Cup replay with a late blunder at tynecastle to gift hearts the winner. Mind you we should have won the first game at Ibrox. Hearts went on to lose to dunfermline 3-1 in the final.
Yes a Donald Ford goal done us at Tynecastle. We should have beat them at Ibrox about 6-1 on the Saturday.

Ayr United 1-1 Rangers, 2nd October 1976:

neJBilP.jpg

The First Ibrox featuring in an ad for the builders in the SFA Annual of 1887-88.
The caption reads:
'RANGERS FOOTBALL GROUND, GLASGOW (Fred Braby & Co. Ltd., Contractors) Grand Stand to seat upwards of 1200 persons. Commodious Pavilion of Galvanized and Corrugated Iron and Wood. Ground enclosed with substantial paling formed of their Galvanized and Corrugated Iron Sheets fixed to wood framing, thus making it strong and unclimbable from outside.'

And how to get there from the Scottish Umpire August 16 1887.

The First Ibrox featuring in an ad for the builders in the SFA Annual of 1887-88.
The caption reads:
'RANGERS FOOTBALL GROUND, GLASGOW (Fred Braby & Co. Ltd., Contractors) Grand Stand to seat upwards of 1200 persons. Commodious Pavilion of Galvanized and Corrugated Iron and Wood. Ground enclosed with substantial paling formed of their Galvanized and Corrugated Iron Sheets fixed to wood framing, thus making it strong and unclimbable from outside.'

I think the site of the first ground was around where the old Edmiston House was/Harrison Drive and the area at the rear of the Copland Road Stand.

The caption reads:

So Copland Road used to be Copeland Road then!

Johnny Hubbard scores against Celtic, possibly in Rangers 4-1 win (in which he scored a hat-trick) on 1st January 1955:

joHL6uW.jpg
I wonder if this is the solo goal he scored that day that Sir Alex said a few years ago was still the best goal he ever saw.

Sir Alex Ferguson was once asked what the best goal he ever saw was. He told them: "Johnny Hubbard, for Rangers against Celtic, January 1, 1955. He got the ball outside his own box, he beat Haughney, he beat Evans, he beat Stein, he beat Meechan, he beat the goalkeeper and walked the ball into the net."

I wonder if this is the solo goal he scored that day that Sir Alex said a few years ago was still the best goal he ever saw.

Sir Alex Ferguson was once asked what the best goal he ever saw was. He told them: "Johnny Hubbard, for Rangers against Celtic, January 1, 1955. He got the ball outside his own box, he beat Haughney, he beat Evans, he beat Stein, he beat Meechan, he beat the goalkeeper and walked the ball into the net."
The very goal.

When was the last time a group photo of the squad in front of our iconic Main Stand was taken?
I've seen many team photos in fairly recent times of the squad in a preseason shoot taken in front of the Sandy Jardine Stand as the backdrop. The old pics with the criss cross Archibald Leitch creation behind them has a certain feel to it.
Also would like to see an open day like before when the squad would take up their positions seated and a full stand of fans behind them, like before, posing for a photo before the season starts.
Would love this to return, gets money in the coffers and the pics would go down in history like those from way back when.

When was the last time a group photo of the squad in front of our iconic Main Stand was taken?
I've seen many team photos in fairly recent times of the squad in a preseason shoot taken in front of the Sandy Jardine Stand as the backdrop. The old pics with the criss cross Archibald Leitch creation behind them has a certain feel to it.
Also would like to see an open day like before when the squad would take up their positions seated and a full stand of fans behind them, like before, posing for a photo before the season starts.
Would love this to return, gets money in the coffers and the pics would go down in history like those from way back when.
We should have replicated this for the 55 winning squad photograph.

Johnny Hubbard scores against Celtic, possibly in Rangers 4-1 win (in which he scored a hat-trick) on 1st January 1955:

joHL6uW.jpg
Got me thinking, about our song "Play up the Glasgow Rangers". I tried to check out the score and scorers mentioned in it and I wasn't able to find a match to a New Year's game we played against them.

Can anyone shed any further light on the subject?

It's been quite a while since I've looked at the vintage photos and, as always they're great. This one brings back memories of when I was in my early teens. It was on the cover of an L.P. of Rangers songs issued circa 1967-68, the singer was a guy called Alex McKeown, who, I think, was from the Greenock/Port Glasgow area. My brother and I would have played it constantly - at that time we needed something to keep our spirits up. The photo was taken in Bob Moffatt's Four Step Inn on the Shankill Road in Belfast, I'm guessing it was of members of a supporters club based in that bar. The pub was bombed by the I.R.A. in September 1971, two men were killed and 27 injured. I came across our copy of the album in my loft about two years ago, I must look it out again, brings back great memories of an era when I first got the Rangers bug.
The singer Alex passed away a couple of years ago. It was and still is a cracking Rangers LP.

Got me thinking, about our song "Play up the Glasgow Rangers". I tried to check out the score and scorers mentioned in it and I wasn't able to find a match to a New Year's game we played against them.

Can anyone shed any further light on the subject?

I don't think that actual "game" exists.

Cracking picture and what a team who never got the credit they deserved. As said earlier in the thread the 77-78 squad just shades it with the addition of Cooper, Smith & Russell. Make no mistake though, this squad was a quality football team and includes 12 full Scotland Internationals and 6 players who made 500 or more appearances for Rangers. In our 149 year history only 17 players have hit that milestone, to have 6 of them here speaks volumes.

Back