Claudio Caniggia

Signed by Advocaat as a 34 year old for an undisclosed account (surely not a 7 figure sum??).

Thoughts?

Seem to recall he didnt feature much till McLeish came in. Was a cracking player in his two years here, the 2003 League Cup Final arguably his biggest highlight.

Knocked back Celtic as well to sign for us as well.

Incredible to think he was a world super star, played a big role for us in a fantastic squad and in between times played for Dundee :eek:

The 4-3-3 we played under McLeish suited him perfectly. A thoroughbred of a player, he had pace, skill, workrate, teamwork and so much big game experience. We must have been a great swansong for him.
And I well remember thinking he was a daft signing, too old and no better than a squad player. Got that one wrong, as usual.

Wasn't aware that he knocked back the filth, done us a good turn no doubt. To be honest I was of the opinion his time was up after the treble season however given the dross we signed hindsight suggests we would have been better giving him another deal.

my dad used to sometimes see him in LA Fitness in town, always had a chat with him and said he was a nice guy, totally fit as a fiddle.

Bizarre thinking back to Dundee signing Caniggia and later Ravanelli :rolleyes:.

Caniggia was electric for us at 34

Wish we had him a couple of years earlier. Listened to Ronald De Boer describing the incredible physical condition that CC kept himself in. Class player.

I felt we would have destroyed the tims in the Loverkrands SC Final if Balde had not blootered him out the game.

I thought even at the late stage we signed him, and considering the calibre of team-mates he was still outstanding.

Would have loved to have seen him in the champions league with us that year. May even have been the difference in getting us into 3rd place.

Didn't Bain shaft him over a new contract? Went back on a promise of one?

Class act. At first I couldn't believe we weee signing him as I thought he wouldn't be good enough at his age. He was superb.

Some signing for Dundee at the time. Wasn't convinced when we signed him but did a great job for us. Even at 34 he was still quick.

The scourge of Dunfermline - who he always seemed to score against (when they weren't lying down for us, eh Mutton?)

To think we bombed Cannigia and Numan out the door, and replaced with the duds Capucho and Vanoli .... hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing.

Got a raw deal from us after being promised another crack at the CL.

What a performer though. The personification of the age-old saying 'class never leaves you'.

Put his heart into every game for us (Dundee too).

Top quality player, the likes of which, we'll be lucky to see again.

Loved him, he always had his hands on his knees and bent over looking knackered after 10 mins but always found a burst of energy and pace, whether that was tracking back or trying to make something happen. Genuine team player.

he was an absolute thoroughbred of a player.

Lightening quick in the feet and the head. I loved watching his movement.

I still remember his run in the 1990 World Cup against Cameroon hurdling 2 attempted assaults before the third guy halved him in two!

Before we signed him I remember he stuck out like a sore thumb in a midweek v Dundee at Ibrox(0-1 defeat maybe?)
Anyway I remember being surprised he was the fastest man on the park,absolutely rapid for his age

When I did PE at high school the likes of Caniggia and Ravanelli were training on the same public park as us.

Utterly utterly surreal.

I can still remember watching him being unleashed at Italia 90. Would never have guessed in a million years that one day I'd be watching him play for Rangers. Let alone Dundee!!

I was distinctly underwhelmed with his signing, but what a cracking player he turned out to be for us.

I thought he was brilliant, done us a real turn. His performance against the beggars in the league cup final was fantastic.

loved Caniggia, never stood still and was a constant pain in the arse for defenders, even at 34

A really good player for us as said above we could have done with him earlier in his career.

Thankful that we had him for a bit of his career what a player

Always looked knackered then burst away from defenders

Superb player. Didn't score that many goals but you could see from his link up play what a world class player he was. His clever use of the ball stood out. He created lot of goalscoring chances for the other forwards.

Incredible to think he was a world super star, played a big role for us in a fantastic squad and in between times played for Dundee :eek:
Hard to believe Dundee had him, Ravanelli and Julien Speroni on their books around the same time. Not to mention Novo soon after

Speaking of Caniggia, I found this belter of a picture on twitter yesterday...

Attachments

• IMG_20170905_222444.jpg
    IMG_20170905_222444.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 45
Back