Claudio Reyna, how good was he in your opinion?

lou riccios chipshop

As someone who has no expertise in tactics or positions, he struck me as a player who did his job quietly that most of us wouldn't know he was playing well or effectively.

Jorday

Very very consistent player. Played in an excellent squad and team and would have looked good in any team.

Mearns Ranger

Official Ticketer
Superb player who would have made a bigger impact if the strength of our midfield at the time didn't leave him marginalised as a squad player. I can understand that. While Reyna and Tugay were both superb players, would you really drop either Barry or Gio to play them?

He often played at right back, rather than midfield, where I thought he was excellent. At right back he provided athleticism and a technical ability that suited our possession game at the time. I was sorry to see him go but he was too good to be a bit-part player.
I don’t agree with this. He was pretty much a starter every week, and almost always at right mid.
I don’t ever remember him being a squad player and he only filled in at right back when we needed him to.
And when he left, he was the main man because all the others had left (Fergie apart)

Britannius

Great player. He went about his business without much plaudits a bit like Saša Papac.

That goal against Parma will live with me forever.

I also remember getting 'Reyna 40' on the back of my new kit prior to the squad numbers being released then his number was changed to 12 which was a red neck as a teenager amongst my peers. Felt like a diddy. :))

BruceyBalboa

A player that I barely noticed until he left. Then I realised what we had when he did. Just done his job and done it well.

We were truly spoiled for midfielders in the early 00's

pepsimax73

Was a quality player but was playing with some real stand outs. As other posters have said you had Tugay as well christ to have these two now things might have been different

Arkanoid

Class act, touch, vision, neat and tidy, determination.
Never really thought of it before but could perhaps be described as a right sided Gio.
He downed tools sadly to force a move to England, even noticeable to me in the PSG away game and my heavily inebriated opinion that night was %^*& anyone who thinks Sunderland are more important than Rangers

caddy

Was a superb player - consistent, classy and reliable. And 4th best midfielder in the squad behind Fergie, Albertz and Gio!

mikeymols_10

Official Ticketer
He was a fantastic player who was at least a 7/10 every week. Never let us down and you knew every match what you were getting from him. Very under-rated.

portproddyboysfb

Great team player with a will to win every challenge , always cool on the ball the type of player we need now in the midfield engine room

Delbert

Great player for beating a man in midfield and then passing it forwards. Not a guy that would kick crap of of opposition players & pass sideways either, but never afraid of a tackle if it was required.

stein and johnston

Every time I see his goal celebration against Parma at Ibrox, it always reminds me so much of Marco Tardelli’s famous celebration for Italy in the 1982 World Cup v West Germany.
A brilliant signing for us.

iaatpies

The one thing that does stand out for me is how little he wasted possession. He was great at retaining the ball. If he was going to pass it then it was either to an attacking player who could go forward or to a teammate who was going to retain possession. He never gave the ball away cheaply. He could hold it up until there was the right outlet pass and he was always looking to get involved and offer himself for a pass if a teammate was in possession. He very rarely made mistakes.

pelem

Great player. He went about his business without much plaudits a bit like Saša Papac.

That goal against Parma will live with me forever.

I also remember getting 'Reyna 40' on the back of my new kit prior to the squad numbers being released then his number was changed to 12 which was a red neck as a teenager amongst my peers. Felt like a diddy. :))

Dae they still see you as a diddy. ?

Mr Mojo risin'

he was very good as where all the americans that played for us (cue someone posting an awful american for us ive forgotten about :D)

Purpolaris

Fantastic footballer. I remember he played right back a few times and once against the tarriers where Riseth got sent off for a shocking challenge on him. He only got a yellow for it but he was already booked so off he went. A very underrated player by those that hadn't seen him play, and a few that had. Reminds me a bit like Nigel Spackman in that aspect.

ecossebear

Great player at the time. I actually don’t think we’ve had any midfielders since that were better than either Barry, Gio, Tugay, Reyna and Albertz were at the same time! I include De Boer, Arteta and Davis in that.

erskine bear

Great player at the time. I actually don’t think we’ve had any midfielders since that were better than either Barry, Gio, Tugay, Reyna and Albertz were at the same time! I include De Boer, Arteta and Davis in that.
Your forgetting someone, was nicknamed the Serbian Zidane :)

Strathblue

Fantastic footballer. I remember he played right back a few times and once against the tarriers where Riseth got sent off for a shocking challenge on him. He only got a yellow for it but he was already booked so off he went. A very underrated player by those that hadn't seen him play, and a few that had. Reminds me a bit like Nigel Spackman in that aspect.
In my opinion his best position was playing behind Kanchelski’s at right back, his vision and ability to make the overlap was awesome.