Clear recruitment strategy in place

PrideOfGovanLoyal

Think it's clear to see with this Helander deal that our that recruitment strategy & scouting system is in full flow right now.

After allegedly missing out on Mexer we didn't just scramble around for another free transfer or settle for a lesser player (flashbacks to Warburton bringing in Senderos). We've clearly had a set criteria of what we're looking for in a centre half and we've stuck to it, working our way through the list until we can strike the right deal.

Think it seems obvious from day 1 that Gerrard has said he wants an experienced centre half used to playing at the top level who can come in and partner Goldson & be a leader for us at the back. We've gone out and identified those qualities and now look set to bring someone in who fits the bill.

The fact that we're now about to spend a good couple of million on a position that we could have potentially strengthened on a free transfer if we managed to land Mexer shows the beauty of it for me. We wont manage to get to get every single deal that we go for over the line, but the important thing is we don't just buy players for the sake of it. The price we pay is irrelevant. Whether it's Aribo for 300k or this guy for £4 million the only thing that matters is bringing in the right players and that's exactly what I've been seeing this Summer.

The fact we're not having to go out and rebuild an entire squad again this season is a huge bonus in itself. We're strengthening from the best position we've been in for years. Clearly there is a desire to bring in some experience, but we're also looking at the guys that have a sell on potential.

No panic buys, just well thought out and scouted targets. Not everyone will work out, but if 80% of them do, then we'll be in a great position come May

All of the signings fit a very definite playing system. A lot of so called signings by clubs sometimes mean that the way a team plays has to be altered to accomodate an individual. This clearly is not the case here.

Good post. Also worth pointing out that three of the mhanks’ signings have been either our own targets (Turnbull and Connell) or players that supposedly did damage against us last season (Mbombo, even though he was invisible in both games he played against us for Rapid), so their strategy seems to be focused on us rather than themselves if that makes sense

You seem focused on them and not us
Why even mention them

The fact we're not having to go out and rebuild an entire squad again this season is a huge bonus in itself. We're strengthening from the best position we've been in for years. Clearly there is a desire to bring in some experience, but we're also looking at the guys that have a sell on potential.

No panic buys, just well thought out and scouted targets. Not everyone will work out, but if 80% of them do, then we'll be in a great position come May

This is the biggest positive. Year after year we have had to make wholesale changes in the Summer, often bringing in mediocre players. 8 have come in this term with a number to leave, but it’s with a view to making us title winners.

We are building something special here.

I’m sure it was stated before that recruitment is identified for each transfer window from the moment the previous window shuts.
That seems to be backed up by the early business we do during each transfer window due to forward planning and scouting.
We will already be looking at future targets as soon as the season starts.

If this deal gets over the line then that is also adding experience in winning trophies. That is also important. Great to see Allen appointment working so well.

Good times and the most optimistic I have felt for a long time. Yes we will have set backs during the season but feel we really can win 55.

Left sided Centre back, Gerrard has been choking to have a 3-4-3 option. 3 at the back could also shoehorn Morelos and Defoe starting together! Which is a dream of many on here. He played 3 at the back in sure against Helsinki in January with an out of depth Flanagan as one of the three

Lessons have obviously been learned from the panic buys of Grezda and MacAuley last season. A depth of squad that can cope with injuries, suspensions, loss of form. Exactly why we need to keep the likes of Hastie and Doc rather than loan them out.

This is the biggest positive. Year after year we have had to make wholesale changes in the Summer, often bringing in mediocre players. 8 have come in this term with a number to leave, but it’s with a view to making us title winners.

You can’t help thinking though that a couple of dodgy results at the start of the season and it’ll be, “That’s what you get when you sign guys from League 1 clubs and Liverpool rejects!” :)

This is absolutely true. A lot of people seem to have forgotten that we went in for Mexer. An experienced CB has definitely been a priority this summer and if we get this guy then we have two starting CBs in their mid twenties and two rotation options in their early twenties. Good ages and strength in depth there.

You can’t help thinking though that a couple of dodgy results at the start of the season and it’ll be, “That’s what you get when you sign guys from League 1 clubs and Liverpool rejects!” :)

:D It’s inevitable with FF being bi-polar.

Every single player cops it at some point in the season!

Left sided Centre back, Gerrard has been choking to have a 3-4-3 option. 3 at the back could also shoehorn Morelos and Defoe starting together! Which is a dream of many on here. He played 3 at the back in sure against Helsinki in January with an out of depth Flanagan as one of the three
Tried it against Motherwell at the start of last season with Flanagan in the back three. I don't think it will be our go to formation but it will be useful to have the option.

Tried it against Motherwell at the start of last season with Flanagan in the back three. I don't think it will be our go to formation but it will be useful to have the option.

Also switched to 3 at the back when 3-0 up at home to Dundee. Looked disjointed to be honest.

Also we have identified at least two players now who will be sold for vast profits - Aribo and Kamara.

Still a gap between youth team and first team but that is the fault of the slow decline over many years under Murray, and the collapse in 2012.

I mentioned this on another thread, but i am liking our signing strategy, especially in comparison to theirs.

Our league is unique, it's physical, its punishing, & it's demanding. We've signed players recently (Kamara, Davis, Hastie, Stewart, Jones) that know the league.

We're also signing strong physical guys from other leagues, (Aribo, Edmunson & Ojo from down south, Helander from Italy but has been brought up in Scandinavian football).

We've added more power, more pace, & more league know how to the squad this summer.

Their recruitment seems more scattered gun. Tierney potentially getting replaced by a Belgian left back, Boyata by a French defender, Ntcham & Mcgregor potentially away & needing replaced. Sure, they might get a fair bit of money in, but new signings, especially from abroad, need time to bed in.

Even though we have recruited a lot, all our main players are here & settled. For the first time in years, they face more upheaval than us in terms of key, core players. I think that will prove the difference this season.

Sell on for some too

You'd imagine Aribo and Helander will have EPL ambitions
Which is fine
Get us titles, go for a profit

Filth rely too much on scattershot approach still....buy in bulk and hope someone can be sold for £10m every summer. It never seems to be a joined up strategy.

Said already.
Buy low. Do a job learn and grow. Sell high.
That's the strategy we must aim for.
Morelos - 15-20m.
Tav - 10-15m (should be much higher).
Aribo is easily 4-5m and much more after a good season. He will be an EPL star.
It's nice to have assets again is all I'm saying.

Kamara and Aribo will easily be around £5m each already (hence why Charlton wanted him to stay in England).

I was definitely questioning the lack of spending, thinking we could only get so far with Free transfers and loans, but the new CB certainly seems a positive step.

My only hope is we are patient when the inevitable sticky patch comes, because I think undoubtably this is our best shot since we got promoted back to the top league.

I was definitely questioning the lack of spending, thinking we could only get so far with Free transfers and loans, but the new CB certainly seems a positive step.

My only hope is we are patient when the inevitable sticky patch comes, because I think undoubtably this is our best shot since we got promoted back to the top league.

We now have at least two in most positions, and options up front, this has hurt us last few seasons.

If this deal gets over the line then that is also adding experience in winning trophies. That is also important. Great to see Allen appointment working so well.

Good times and the most optimistic I have felt for a long time. Yes we will have set backs during the season but feel we really can win 55.

remember the days people asked what Allen actually did?

wonder where they are these days.

What is particularly pleasing is how well the transfers are being kept under wraps.

The fact no one had the slightest clue until Gerrard mentioned #8 was almost done, and the name comes out with it pretty much dusted is good.

Glad the club are treating them with the contempt they deserve and the press know f*ck all.

Think it's clear to see with this Helander deal that our that recruitment strategy & scouting system is in full flow right now.

After allegedly missing out on Mexer we didn't just scramble around for another free transfer or settle for a lesser player (flashbacks to Warburton bringing in Senderos). We've clearly had a set criteria of what we're looking for in a centre half and we've stuck to it, working our way through the list until we can strike the right deal.

Think it seems obvious from day 1 that Gerrard has said he wants an experienced centre half used to playing at the top level who can come in and partner Goldson & be a leader for us at the back. We've gone out and identified those qualities and now look set to bring someone in who fits the bill.

The fact that we're now about to spend a good couple of million on a position that we could have potentially strengthened on a free transfer if we managed to land Mexer shows the beauty of it for me. We wont manage to get to get every single deal that we go for over the line, but the important thing is we don't just buy players for the sake of it. The price we pay is irrelevant. Whether it's Aribo for 300k or this guy for £4 million the only thing that matters is bringing in the right players and that's exactly what I've been seeing this Summer.

Why Goldson prefer Katic myself

Good post OP, I'm a fan of our strategy, quality can be picked up cheap and free if you do the leg work. We should only be paying out large sums, when the target is seen as critical within the management teams plans, and should almost always have the possibility of increasing our return down the line.

Impressed by the way we have gone about our business this close season.

We must not forget the draw SG has on getting a few of these players in....

This is how transfer windows are meant to be done, we've just been a bloody shambles for so long it seems like a novelty to us. Which I guess it is!

Add depth where it's needed. Bring in two to three pieces of top quality. Clear out deadwood. Maybe sell a big asset or two.

That is why we just take it easy. Some people thought we could just turn it on in 2016, when we came back when it was madness.

Everything from 2016 has been about histrionics from the support.

Let's hit the ground running in August. A fourth league win on the trot defeating the filth, should be our marker.

Just looking around our squad there are some big strong players, who will not be pushed around.
Last season the team showed more fight and strength, than the previous 3 or 4 seasons. This season NO ONE will bully any of our players.

This is going to be our year.

The pace power strength we have added this year will make a massive difference imo

The bully tactics the likes of Aberdeen and Motherwell employ won’t work against our new side

We will also start to bully Celtic even more than we did st Ibrox twice last season

Can’t wait

Summer is an easy time for optimism though. Remember what folk were like when we signed all the Mexicans ffs.

Any of the back 4 are our players on good contract lengths. That's a huge positive. No loans that won't be here next season or must have game time etc

If Helander is able to keep a hungry Katic out the team then I think we have a found gem

What I like is most of the new guys are athletic and won't be pushed around. They look like units as well as being good players.

I would like to see us looking at a midfield destroyer type. We have gathered some nice footballers in there and it looks potentially exciting, however we could do with an enforcer.

Why partner Goldson he is not our best centre back.

Back