Clive Tyldesley interview.

Unpopular, but not a huge fan of Clive. Always felt he tried too hard to read out all of his little facts on his famous big sheet of facts.
Then you compare to Crocker who has 3 stats to last a season.

I still expect him to mention Papac being the last survivor from the Le Guen era when he commentates on our game.

I'd rather have have the well researched professional.

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to that. CT comes across as a very genuine and professional person who has developed an affinity for the club. Some fresh insights too - not least on Gerrard. Thanks for posting SM.

McFarlane is a Yes voting Hibs fan chasing the blue pound.
He’s recently gone on a blocking spree on Twitter
Heard this so often.

But, I've recently added Rangers Review to my H&H content and I first watched it having a biased perspective of Johnny based on people like you on FF.

My personal conclusion, having watched for weeks now, is if he's a Hibs fan he does a very good job of disguising it. I enjoy his takes along with Derek and Joshua's.

If he's blocking anyone it's probably the neds calling him a Hibs fan.

Would recommend Clives book. Really interesting insight into a side of football and broadcasting we don’t get to hear about too much. I got it on Audible and listened to it during my commutes. Obviously he was an excellent narrator.

I don't know anything about who johnny mcfarlane is, but why are people saying he's a Hibs fan?
What is the basis of the claim?
Photos of him In Hibs strips at games?

Has Jonny ever claimed openly to be a Rangers fan?

Regardless I actually always thought he was one of us and I can actually go him as a journalist, seems to be a decent guy in my opinion.

He is definitely a Rangers fan.

The Rangers review is excellent, has really grown on me recently after being sceptical at first. The 3 guys that host it are very good, Jonny, Derek and especially Joshua Barrie who explains tactical stuff very well without it being boring and too technical and he always comes across well when interviewed on Sky etc.

Their coverage of Seville was top class and really captured the whole thing well.

Unpopular, but not a huge fan of Clive. Always felt he tried too hard to read out all of his little facts on his famous big sheet of facts.
That’s fair enough. But the stats and tit-bits are the reason I like some commentators :) I see who’s got the ball etc, don’t need them for that. It’s their ability to bring in the co-comms and tell me relevant random info that I enjoy about watching it on the telly.

Aye, FF and all that :))

Brilliant to open the thread hoping for some stories to get me interested in whether to listen to it or not and instead be met with a debate over the journalist.

• Haha
Reactions: WBD
Mcfarlane? I'm out.

The man who wanted Neil Lennon as manager of Scotland back in 2017.

Worse, the man who trashed Rangers fans after the Hibs Scottish Cup Final:

"Sometimes though, you have to put your tribal allegiances aside and allow the logic and rational parts of your brain to function. Put simply, in the name of ‘support’ you cannot defend the indefensible.

Yet that’s what many have been doing, finding ways to justify the actions of a minority of Rangers fans who responded idiotically and dangerously to Hibs fans provocation.

Simply, those who invaded the pitch that day at Hampden have no place attending games anymore.

Their day of empty masculinity expressed through the prism of stale Tennents and revolting,caffeinated Tonic Wine has come and gone. They shame us all.

The club themselves are not exempt from blame in this regard. The statement released after the game was rabble-rousing in the extreme, taking pot-shots at everyone from journalists to the First Minister."

Given the circumstances of that Scottish Cup Final no real Rangers supporter would ever have written this.

Mcfarlane? I'm out.

"Sometimes though, you have to put your tribal allegiances aside and allow the logic and rational parts of your brain to function. Put simply, in the name of ‘support’ you cannot defend the indefensible.

Yet that’s what many have been doing, finding ways to justify the actions of a minority of Rangers fans who responded idiotically and dangerously to Hibs fans provocation.

Simply, those who invaded the pitch that day at Hampden have no place attending games anymore.

Their day of empty masculinity expressed through the prism of stale Tennents and revolting,caffeinated Tonic Wine has come and gone. They shame us all.

The club themselves are not exempt from blame in this regard. The statement released after the game was rabble-rousing in the extreme, taking pot-shots at everyone from journalists to the First Minister."

Given the circumstances of that Scottish Cup Final no real Rangers supporter would ever have written this.
The smoking gun.

He is definitely a Rangers fan.

The Rangers review is excellent, has really grown on me recently after being sceptical at first. The 3 guys that host it are very good, Jonny, Derek and especially Joshua Barrie who explains tactical stuff very well without it being boring and too technical and he always comes across well when interviewed on Sky etc.

Their coverage of Seville was top class and really captured the whole thing well.
Read #24.
Never a real Rangers fan.

Mcfarlane? I'm out.

It seems that Johnny wants to be Martin Amis, good luck with that.

'Intellectual football-lovers are a beleaguered crew, despised by intellectuals and football-lovers alike, who regard our addiction as affected, pseudo-proletarian, even faintly homosexual.'

Last edited:
What are the main takeaways from this? Can’t be arsed to watch it if I’m honest.
Tyldesley had never done fan TV before so wasn't used to being one sided commentator, learnt quickly not to talk about celtic in a positive manner. If we are not playing well he won't pretend we are. Gerrard definitely didn't do any deal behind our backs, it happened so quickly and Gerrard was desperate to be with his family. He talks very well about us.

Agree.
Much prefer Tom who is a "True Blue"!
Clive always seems to be a bit phoney - understandable as he is not a Gers supporter!

Tyldesley had never done fan TV before so wasn't used to being one sided commentator, learnt quickly not to talk about celtic in a positive manner. If we are not playing well he won't pretend we are. Gerrard definitely didn't do any deal behind our backs, it happened so quickly and Gerrard was desperate to be with his family. He talks very well about us.

Thanks mate :)

Interesting to have some insight on Gerrard. I wonder if he'd have left earlier if we'd have won 55 earlier?

It’s unfair to compare Clive and Tom, when Clive is on tv, Tom is doing the audio only feed.when Tom is on tv, his commentary is used for both, so has to be more descriptive for those who can’t see the action.

Clive learned quite quickly that up here he doesn't need to find an Engerlund connection or mention 1966 in every game. He was fine after that.
I bet he wishes he got the "Brace yourself Manchester..."

Back