Clive Tyldesley now number 2 commentator at ITV

Why do these pricks think the world owes them a living? Motson was the same. So full of self importance.

As ever the problem is they think they are as significant a part of the viewer's experience as the game itself.

Motson nearly greeting after every hilariously predictable and inevitable England quarter final exit was always brilliant viewing.

(no offence of you are from bristol!!!)

No matter anyones opinion of him surely he deserved to have a reason for demoting him to number 2. If he wasn't cutting the mustard and his employer had issues with him they should have made him aware of a need to improve over a period of time and if not he would be demoted. Standard in any walk of employment life.

Awful commentator who always came across as the narcissistic type to me. Was also painfully obvious he wanted Man Utd to win. The only thing I’ll miss is his pain at defeats for England.
Once I'd have agreed with that, post devolution and the cult in charge I love it when England win and the Scots get a gubbing from some tiny island nation. Always makes me very happy. I thought Tyldesley was decent better than the newer people. I'm just surprised that his replacement doesn't tick any of the now expected 'boxes' pretty shocked to be fair.

Never liked Tyldesley. They probably should have told him why, but maybe they were too polite to say "you're not as good as you think you are."

Couple of folk on Twitter saying someone high up in ITV had marked his card after he made some comment about Susanna Reid last year whilst commentating on a charity/state aid match?

Sam Matterface was married to the lovely natalie sawyer

20200714_115954.thumb.jpg.5b568e5b248e4d107136d5b223c99364.jpg

maybe somebody at ITV thinks he can get them a shot at her

I got a bit cheesed off with the bold Clive mentioning United and 1999 in every commentary.

He’s probably raging because the wife has already remortgaged on the basis of that commentary charts website of his taking off.

I've always liked him. Him and Big Ron doing the CL commentaries for ITV was great.

I always felt that coverage of the CL lost something once Sky got the bulk of the games. It just seemed like more of a big event when it was on ITV.

As for his demotion, if ITV genuinely haven't given him a reason for it then that's pretty shit. If he has said or done something out of line then they should have at least had the balls to tell him what they're upset about.

Usually top dog commentators stay at the top until either they retire or make some kind of gaffe which results in them losing their job. Neither is the case here, which makes it very curious.

Commentating on England games seems to be what Tyldesley enjoys best, so I'd imagine he'd be loath to leave ITV altogether given that they have the rights to England's home games, as well as sharing the rights with the BBC for World Cups and Euros.

Having said that, if Matterface is going to be covering England games anyway then perhaps Tyldesley will be open to moving on. He'd be a fine addition for Sky or BT, albeit he wouldn't automatically be their #1 commentator either. Sky might be a good shout for him. Martin Tyler is now 74 and must be thinking of retiring sooner rather than later. There will be a vacancy when he goes.

Tyldesley must be used to playing second fiddle to Matterface by now though as that’s the situation at TalkSport.

Can't stand Tyldesley - always hated him. His constant gushing praise of anything England really got on my t*ts whilst he added completely nothing to the game.

It used to always burst me the way he can't wait to get his little preprepared spiel in at the half time / full time

Couple of folk on Twitter saying someone high up in ITV had marked his card after he made some comment about Susanna Reid last year whilst commentating on a charity/state aid match?
Apparently he made some joke about her being on Suicide watch. I dont know any more context than that though.

I doubt it has much to do with it though, because if he was going to get booted for that it would surely have happened by now, and ITV would have said so. I just think they want a 'younger' profile to their product tbh.

Back