Clive Tyldesley now number 2 commentator at ITV

This has actually made me realise just how little football, other than Rangers, I watch these days. I hadn’t a clue what this Matterface guy sounded like.

20200714_115954.thumb.jpg.5b568e5b248e4d107136d5b223c99364.jpg

maybe somebody at ITV thinks he can get them a shot at her

I read that in his voice.

As someone that isn't all that knowledgeable about football commentators in the UK, I thought early on in this thread that Sam Matterface was a joke name. I thought someone was taking the piss. :D

I quite like Tyldsley and it’s clear he’s quite hurt by this, but he is going a bit over the top.
He’s still employed and will be commentating on semi-finals and plenty of other big games at the Euros. Not a bad gig.

He’s had over two decades as the top commentator. Can’t really blame ITV for wanting to freshen it up. If Matterface is the best man for the top job is, however, another question.

Rae’s wanky pronunciation of German stadiums and “De Bruyne” could make me bash my face off a garage door.
His pronunciation of De Bruyne is actually closer to the correct one than any other commentator. It's not De Broin or the ones we usually hear

Still hurts the ears when he says it though

Reactions: VGM
I listened to matterface the other night on talksport commentating and he was absolutely dreadful! Wtf are they thinking having him as their no1. He wasn't great sky and he'll be as good on itv. He couldnt lace Tyldesley boots.
For those who haven't heard him yet you're in for a real treat.

Sign him up for RTV

I know you're saying it in jest mate but I remember him saying the night before a game at the piggery in November 1990 that he'd always had a soft spot for the scum and tipped them to win (we won 2-1!) so I've always detested him. He's crap anyway and is no loss.

Reactions: VGM
I actually think a good commentator can make a huge difference to the viewers enjoyment.

Compared to what we have to put up with in Scotland it’s fair to say the English are in a different league.

It says it all when you remember Peter Drury and Jim Beglin’s excellent performance when commentating on our UEFA semi final.

Agree Brian Moore was the best, and by some distance.

The English were so lucky to have him when we were storming the Champions League in 92/93, up here we had Gerry f**king Macnee.

Apologies sir...he's just no David Begg, now he was a proper commentator!

Hated this Rangers hater, sounded like he was commentating on a funeral procession when we scored. Yet was skittering himsel if the oppostion crossed the half way line.

Apologies sir...he's just no David Begg, now he was a proper commentator!

Alastair Alexander you mean, Begg was the one creaming himself anytime anyone got near the Rangers goal

memory going a bit probably but I swear we got big Ron + Moore for the first CL game in 92/93 V Marseille live and then it reverted to Geraldo McPish and the bhoys?

Agree Brian Moore was the best, and by some distance.

The English were so lucky to have him when we were storming the Champions League in 92/93, up here we had Gerry f**king Macnee.

Watching the re-run of Scotland v England from Euro 96 a few weeks ago.

Moore was a Rolls Royce of a commentator. Made you feel like part of the game.

You must be mistaken. I remember driving home after work and I wasn’t actually sure Rangers had scored such was Begg’s biased commentary.

A Rangers hater of the highest order.

I remember the 1-1 draw at the scumdome when Dodds scored, had to listen to the game on the radio as I was in the car and I had no idea we had actually equalised because Begg was so quiet

think that was late 90s? while ago anyway

He's been there pretty much all my football life, remember the Man U run to the Final and Final itself. He's had a good run at it but if ITV want to change it up then fair dos.

They hardly show anything now anyway apart from the major tournaments every 2 years or are they getting a couple of Champions League games back?

I know you're saying it in jest mate but I remember him saying the night before a game at the piggery in November 1990 that he'd always had a soft spot for the scum and tipped them to win (we won 2-1!) so I've always detested him. He's crap anyway and is no loss.
I’ve always thought he was a prick so it’s good to have it confirmed.

Back