Closed door match against Swansea cancelled

He has obviously took a look at the shocking physical condition and fitness levels of some of our players and is addressing it with tough, intensive training drills.

Hearts played against Swansea and one of the hearts players told my mate Swansea were outstanding, couldn’t get the ball off them the full 90 minutes. Never asked my pal what the score was mind you..

Great move, there will be a structure to training pre and post matches, this would probably mean that the game impacts on 3/4 days rather than just the 90 mins of the game.

Cancelling it means these days are not lost to Beale and his team to prepare the squad.

Squad training>behind close door match. We have Leverkuson to get a game before the return to action.

On the Currie podcast, Beale said they only played against teams when they wanted to scout their players - obv nobody at Swansea he fancies..
I might have picked him up wrong, but I thought he meant we only played against certain teams so that we could look at how some of our players would do in a certain system and against a particular opponent.

He is giving them a mini pre season and shooting practice maybe even inswinging corners.

Outswinging corners were a big part of our corners under Gerrard. I believe that statistically teams score more from outswingers. The swing isnt the issue, its the getting on the end bit that needs work. Though I do think that inswingers feel more dangerous.

It’s refreshing to see a Rangers manager taking some proactive decisions.

Gio’s biggest failing was that he seemed happy to plod on with whatever was dictated to him, seemed to be in caretaker mode most of his time here.
I got the same impression. Feel as though it extended to other facets of the job too.

Outswinging corners were a big part of our corners under Gerrard. I believe that statistically teams score more from outswingers. The swing isnt the issue, its the getting on the end bit that needs work. Though I do think that inswingers feel more dangerous.
It's really a variation out,in front post back post. We had 20 corners against St Johnstone every one the same we got our head on one Kasala hit the crossbar.

It’s refreshing to see a Rangers manager taking some proactive decisions.

Gio’s biggest failing was that he seemed happy to plod on with whatever was dictated to him, seemed to be in caretaker mode most of his time here.
This, Gio happy to just plod along and do as he was told. Symptomatic of the shitebaggery creeping into the squad.

According to 'Soccernomics' the type of corner that is most effective is an inswinging corner to the front post.

It's just that those goals are often scrappy or flick ons for a tap in so they don't stick in people's heads. Helander and Katic's do.

It's really a variation out,in front post back post. We had 20 corners against St Johnstone every one the same we got our head on one Kasala hit the crossbar.
I agree with you re variation, should be in everything we do, long balls from Goldson, free kicks, corners, throws (though that is taking it too far!).

According to 'Soccernomics' the type of corner that is most effective is an inswinging corner to the front post.

It's just that those goals are often scrappy or flick ons for a tap in so they don't stick in people's heads. Helander and Katic's do.

You could be right, Im only going what Gerrard said. I was going to say Warburton but he never allowed real corners.

You could be right, Im only going what Gerrard said. I was going to say Warburton but he never allowed real corners.
Fair. In the book the anecdote is that analysts at Man City looked at every goal in the EPL from a corner for the last 10(I think) years and found that, statistically, that type of corner was much more likely to result in a goal.

They took that info to Mancini and he told them that they were wrong.

The reason, they think, that Mancini disagreed is because big, powerful headers from a bit of distance, often from an outswinger, are more memorable.

Fair. In the book the anecdote is that analysts at Man City looked at every goal in the EPL from a corner for the last 10(I think) years and found that, statistically, that type of corner was much more likely to result in a goal.

They took that info to Mancini and he told them that they were wrong.

The reason, they think, that Mancini disagreed is because big, powerful headers from a bit of distance, often from an outswinger, are more memorable.

Cool, I looked at an article there that mentions the worst place to play it is the front post area, I didnt think that would be that bad, but once again weve scored memorable goals from that. When we could score from a corner!

Regarding throws we never do a quick one always wait for Tav or Borna to take them. Then we usually give it away.

Ive always thought that the player that is nearest should take it asap. However, we arent as slow at them as I thought. I watched a game I had paused, and could skip 5secons at a time, cutting out all the stoppages, and I couldnt skip it when we had the throw as it was always quite quick. Compared to the opposition when it was 20 secs.

Just over two weeks? With 'athletes'? I reckon you could improve fitness in that time. Even getting them in a better place mentally will give us a noticeable improvement with fitness.

It is a luxury for a mid season manager change, two full weeks. He needs to grab it and wring every minute out of it!

You won't make a noticeable physical fitness improvement in 2 weeks mate.

Not a chance.

You won't make a noticeable physical fitness improvement in 2 weeks mate.

Not a chance.
I am 50 and i can.

I guess we will see on the 15th, but i reckon we will look noticeably fitter playing Hibs. A great game to start off with, actually my favourite SPL game.

A game we will play at 100 mph, or we should as they will. A proper test for the new regime.

And if we don't? MB is finished. :D

For me outswingers can't tease a keeper into going for a ball they shouldn't & also means the attacking player just needs to get a head on it without having to worry about generating power.

Though I'm also a fan of mixing it up to avoid bring too predictable to defend against.

The lack of movement killed our corners as much as the kicks themselves.

Aribo was really good at making the front post run and either scoring or setting one up but we haven't seen anyone do it since he left. It's not as if Aribo was the only one capable of doing that, anyone given proper instruction could.

I am 50 and i can.

I guess we will see on the 15th, but i reckon we will look noticeably fitter playing Hibs. A great game to start off with, actually my favourite SPL game.

A game we will play at 100 mph, or we should as they will. A proper test for the new regime.

And if we don't? MB is finished. :D

Elite athletes don't dramatically improve fitness in 2 weeks mate.

You may get marginal gains, but VO2 max, aerobic threshold and lactate threshold levels, (which are the key indicators of physical fitness) won't dramatically increase in 2 weeks.

It'll take a minimum of 4 weeks of structured training to see an appreciable difference.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other things that Beale will look to improve in the next couple of weeks though.

Elite athletes don't dramatically improve fitness in 2 weeks mate.

You may get marginal gains, but VO2 max, aerobic threshold and lactate threshold levels, (which are the key indicators of physical fitness) won't dramatically increase in 2 weeks.

It'll take a minimum of 4 weeks of structured training to see an appreciable difference.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other things that Beale will look to improve in the next couple of weeks though.
A bottle of red down? I am not arguing with such a knowledgeable retort ;)

But what i will say is two weeks, or just over, is more than half of four.

So if what you have so eloquently described is true, then for sure we see a difference V's Hibs.

And a good one.

Looking at the training video, we were still about 10 players short and only King there from the CH group. I’m not remotely surprised a bounce game has been binned

There was a picture on rangers Instagram of Davies but maybe it was an old photo they re-used

Looking at the training video, we were still about 10 players short and only King there from the CH group. I’m not remotely surprised a bounce game has been binned

Davies is in the training videos. Colak grabs him after going the wrong way on a drill.

Back