Club 1872 Blog – What We’ve Got Here Is, Failure To Communicate

I’ve told you the board chased her they DON’T want to sell
John Bennett told us none of the major investors want to sell
How have I contradicted myself?
Now you’re telling us you’re ITK and to watch this space?

You said no one was hawking Rangers for sale so you did contradict yourself.

We have been told things before that have turned out to be true Wilson and Robertson have both told us sales would go back in to the team.

It’s quite obvious something is going on so we will see what happens over the next 12 months.

We have been told things before that have turned out to be true Wilson and Robertson have both told us sales would go back in to the team.

It’s quite obvious something is going on so we will see what happens over the next 12 months.
I recall months ago asking you questions you did not answer.
I think your loyalties elsewhere buddy.
And before you answer back, you are now on ignore!!!
@Robert Marshall @Valley Bluenose
Don’t waste your breath with this one.

They did not stipulate how much of sales would go back into the team and in what timeframe.

You may have chosen to interpret it that way, but their words do not say that.

I recall months ago asking you questions you did not answer.
I think your loyalties elsewhere buddy.
And before you answer back, you are now on ignore!!!
@Robert Marshall @Valley Bluenose
Don’t waste your breath with this one.
You asked me nothing I didn’t answer as I always answer anyone that quotes me.

My various posts about my issues with the ticket Center must be made up as well then and I must have done some amount of research in to it.

I’ve never read anything linking Michael Herbert to Rangers other than some Dhimmy-led nonsense rumour a couple of years ago. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t have shares I guess, and he’s a wealthy man, but he’s keeping it very low key if he is involved.
He would have to be listed if he had a substantial number of shares.

Not if he’s indulging in this sort of behaviour.

And I say that as someone who used to be in daily communication with him.
Ok Mark I will take your word for it as know you have had a lot of comms with him but out of interest whens the last time you spoke to him and what do you think is going on then?

Smart assed crap again, you’re the guy insinuating the board might want to sell and you were inferring they were hawking the club in America via this woman
Absolute garbage and you know it. There’s no telling you, I suspect you’re at it so I’m going to leave it at that,

Smart assed crap again, you’re the guy insinuating the board might want to sell and you were inferring they were hawking the club in America via this woman
Absolute garbage and you know it. There’s no telling you, I suspect you’re at it so I’m going to leave it at that,
Nothing of the such thing some one is hawking the club neither of us know for sure if anyone on the board have anything to do with it.

It could also be King at work who knows.

Let’s leave it there and call it a night.

Check from about 9.30 on it’s there on video.
I already did twice. Before I brought it up, and after you mentioned this in your last post so that I was sure I was referencing the same thing.

The issue would appear to be your interpretation, not some nefarious broken promise.

From 9:20:
  • There's no mandate to the manager that we have to sell players.
  • We've been really really clear as a club in our communication that we see player trading as something that has to be normal for this club, as it is for nearly every club in world football.
  • We've not been strong in that in the past, that's clear to say, but the investors have continued to back this club all the time.
  • We've rejected, as everybody knows, some significant offers for our players in the last two windows and we'll do so again unless they're the right offers, for the right players, at the right time but if we accept any offers then what we'll definitely be doing is reinvesting back in this squad to keep taking us forward.
Roughly 20m in, Stewart Robertson spoke about the process of getting GvB, and the work that Wilson and his team had done to secure him. Nothing about spending or transfers.

At 22:45, Wilson spoke again about transfers:
  • Question: you said there was no compulsion to sell players, how much scope does Gio have to reinforce the side, and how quickly?
  • Yeah, I think I answered that already, we'll take a view, well, Gio'll take a view on the squad first and foremost.
  • We'll then have a chat about how that looks and if Gio wants to do anything, then I've already spoken to Douglas and John, Stewart and all the guys.
  • If Gio wants to do something then we'll take a view on that and we'll have a look at it, so there's nothing set in stone right here, right now, but um, we're absolutely aware that we always want to improve this squad if we possibly can and if Gio thinks of something that we've gotta do, then we'll look at it.
I'm sure you'll have some other evidence though where they actually said every penny would be reinvested though? Or gave an idea over what time frame it would be reinvested?

Great reference... Cool Hand Luke as quoted at the start of Civil War by Guns n Roses ... "What we have got here is failure to communicate...."

I already did twice. Before I brought it up, and after you mentioned this in your last post so that I was sure I was referencing the same thing.

The issue would appear to be your interpretation, not some nefarious broken promise.

From 9:20:
  • There's no mandate to the manager that we have to sell players.
  • We've been really really clear as a club in our communication that we see player trading as something that has to be normal for this club, as it is for nearly every club in world football.
  • We've not been strong in that in the past, that's clear to say, but the investors have continued to back this club all the time.
  • We've rejected, as everybody knows, some significant offers for our players in the last two windows and we'll do so again unless they're the right offers, for the right players, at the right time but if we accept any offers then what we'll definitely be doing is reinvesting back in this squad to keep taking us forward.
Roughly 20m in, Stewart Robertson spoke about the process of getting GvB, and the work that Wilson and his team had done to secure him. Nothing about spending or transfers.

At 22:45, Wilson spoke again about transfers:
  • Question: you said there was no compulsion to sell players, how much scope does Gio have to reinforce the side, and how quickly?
  • Yeah, I think I answered that already, we'll take a view, well, Gio'll take a view on the squad first and foremost.
  • We'll then have a chat about how that looks and if Gio wants to do anything, then I've already spoken to Douglas and John, Stewart and all the guys.
  • If Gio wants to do something then we'll take a view on that and we'll have a look at it, so there's nothing set in stone right here, right now, but um, we're absolutely aware that we always want to improve this squad if we possibly can and if Gio thinks of something that we've gotta do, then we'll look at it.
I'm sure you'll have some other evidence though where they actually said every penny would be reinvested though? Or gave an idea over what time frame it would be reinvested?

Ok fair enough our interpretation is different but that’s exactly what I take from it not that we will sell 45 million quids worth of players and spend roughly a quarter.

If they continue to invest over the next 4 seasons to a decent level then I will hold my hands up.

Indeed. If he did have shares he’d be under the 4% or so figure held by each of those listed on the website.
As I said, don’t waste your breath on this one as I am certain he’s lurked around a long time without being properly rumbled.
He regularly comes out with unsubstantiated nonsense.

Ok fair enough our interpretation is different but that’s exactly what I take from it not that we will sell 45 million quids worth of players and spend roughly a quarter.

If they continue to invest over the next 4 seasons to a decent level then I will hold my hands up.
For the avoidance of doubt, what will you consider 'a decent level'? Is spending on deadline day especially important in this too?

For the avoidance of doubt, what will you consider 'a decent level'? Is spending on deadline day especially important in this too?
I would have said one decent signing once we were in the Champions League and maybe 40-50% of incomings total.
I wasn’t expecting all the money brought in to be spent on the team.

As I said, don’t waste your breath on this one as I am certain he’s lurked around a long time without being properly rumbled.
He regularly comes out with unsubstantiated nonsense.
So you’ve apparently put me on ignore but are quoting posts nothing to do with me and still calling me a tim.

If admin want my Rangers number to see all my My Gers pack and my Daughters and my season tickets i will gladly produce them all.

I am quite rightly concerned about what’s going on even more so after the interviews during the week.

It's not an interpretation its what was actually said.

Not that it matters to you as all you want to do is blame the board for everything and no matter what they do it won't be enough
It is what he says it’s been put down in black and white above it could be taken several ways.

Borrowed from the post above

Can you really say we have invested enough to move us forward?

We have stood still if not went backwards.

I would have said one decent signing once we were in the Champions League and maybe 40-50% of incomings total.
I wasn’t expecting all the money brought in to be spent on the team.
For me, there's currently a few different arguments re recruitment going on (FF wide):

1. We didn't invest in the team.
We did, we spent 13m, which is almost 7x the combined total of the rest of the league (not them obviously).

2. We didn't address key areas.
Perhaps. But that's our perception as fans. In the interview you linked to, it's apparent that it's up to Gio to identify areas to be strengthened. We might want a dynamic "8", but that doesn't fit with the horseshoe.

3. The players we did sign aren't good enough.
Firstly, it's far too early to say for any of them, Colak included. If things work the way we are told they do, then that falls on Gio too though. Matondo, for example played his best football cutting in from the left. Who decided he was the best option for our right hand side? If it wasn't Gio, then why does he insist on playing him from the right?

4. We didn't invest enough.
For a club that has absorbed 80m of losses in the last 4 years, this is the first year we've turned a profit and we've got FFP to consider.

I don't understand people raging that we didn't buy anyone on deadline day though. Gio said from the start of the window he wanted his business done early. He got that. We've got a fanbase who claim to despise the media, yet are desperate for them to have access to everything despite their previous, and buy into media driven shite like deadline day. See if I want something? I don't wait til 2 mins before the shop shuts to go and get it. I do my research and go buy it as early as possible.

For me, there's currently a few different arguments re recruitment going on (FF wide):

1. We didn't invest in the team.
We did, we spent 13m, which is almost 7x the combined total of the rest of the league (not them obviously).

2. We didn't address key areas.
Perhaps. But that's our perception as fans. In the interview you linked to, it's apparent that it's up to Gio to identify areas to be strengthened. We might want a dynamic "8", but that doesn't fit with the horseshoe.

3. The players we did sign aren't good enough.
Firstly, it's far too early to say for any of them, Colak included. If things work the way we are told they do, then that falls on Gio too though. Matondo, for example played his best football cutting in from the left. Who decided he was the best option for our right hand side? If it wasn't Gio, then why does he insist on playing him from the right?

4. We didn't invest enough.
For a club that has absorbed 80m of losses in the last 4 years, this is the first year we've turned a profit and we've got FFP to consider.

I don't understand people raging that we didn't buy anyone on deadline day though. Gio said from the start of the window he wanted his business done early. He got that. We've got a fanbase who claim to despise the media, yet are desperate for them to have access to everything despite their previous, and buy into media driven shite like deadline day. See if I want something? I don't wait til 2 mins before the shop shuts to go and get it. I do my research and go buy it as early as possible.
You make some really good balanced points and have spent a lot of time writing them.

Just a question, What did you make of what Gio had to say straight after the PSV game?

I am not saying it had to be deadline day but surely with the extra money from Champions league qualification we could have brought in another CM.
As you say though maybe Gio had the choice and decided to spend his money elsewhere.

For me it looks like Ross Wilson Is picking a lot of the players, Players from the same agency, Players from Belgium.

But...you'd think Gio, Wilson and the scouts would have an elite list of targets dependant on CL qualification that as soon as the final whistle blows we can go all out in getting.

All of Gio's summer buys made sense. But I refuse to believe that Gio and Wilson don't know that we are desperate for a proper first choice right sided winger and a number 8 of genuine class. That's before you get to the goalkeeper situation.

I didn't expect us to fill all three post CL qualification. But I did expect us to fill one of them. I suspect BOTH the manager and Sporting Director did likewise.

Michael Herbert, who isn’t involved with Rangers in any way?

Or are you suggesting he is?
Apparently he doesn’t have a shareholding.

Makes you wonder, doesn’t it, how a local councillor from South Belfast gets a job for a British institution.
Must have been some CV.

Makes you wonder, doesn’t it, how a local lcouncillor from South Belfast gets a job for a British institution.
Must have been some CV.

A CV that had no Comms experience on it.

Quite a leap to go from that to the Head of Communications position with the biggest club in the country.

Club 1872 doing a piece on the poor running of an organisation is irony at Messi and Ronaldo levels, absolute off the scale brilliance. I suppose the only thing to give credit to what they say is that anyone involved in Club 1872 know exactly what an utter shambles is, so they at least have something strong to draw comparison to.

You make some really good balanced points and have spent a lot of time writing them.

Just a question, What did you make of what Gio had to say straight after the PSV game?

I am not saying it had to be deadline day but surely with the extra money from Champions league qualification we could have brought in another CM.
As you say though maybe Gio had the choice and decided to spend his money elsewhere.

For me it looks like Ross Wilson Is picking a lot of the players, Players from the same agency, Players from Belgium.
I'll do the same as I did with the previous video.

Finances not mentioned til just after 6:10.

• It's a big moment for us, there's the prestige of playing in the CL and there's also the financial reward for the club
  • (Emma Dodds) how will that impact you? Will that impact you as far as transfers are concerned between now and the end of the world?
  • Well of course it will impact us because you know as a player, as a coach, you're only thinking about competing with the best on teams in Europe and we have the opportunity to do so and of course there are so many positives to take away from from from this game.
  • I think the club's and the board's y'know, also happy that we get, y'know, the financial, more financial opportunities, and y'know we always have a good conversation and communication in how to spend the money.
  • (Emma Dodds) so expect some new faces before the transfer window shuts?
  • I don't know. I don't know. I said it before it's, y'know, 7 days, I think 7 or 8 days so anything can happen but we have to be prepared.
There's nothing in there that says to me he wants to add anyone. He says he doesn't know if there would be new signings but that anything can happen. You could infer that he was playing his cards close to his chest, or you could take him at face value.

But I refuse to believe that Gio and Wilson don't know that we are desperate for a proper first choice right sided winger and a number 8 of genuine class. That's before you get to the goalkeeper situation.
I don't think it matters to Gio what we are desperate for. Last year we wanted Greegs binned for McLaughlin from about October onwards. He was still number one at the end of the year.

A number 8 of genuine class doesn't fit Gio's system or style of play. He chose Matondo for the right despite him doing his best work cutting in from the left.

Makes you wonder, doesn’t it, how a local councillor from South Belfast gets a job for a British institution.
Must have been some CV.
He was also a special advisor inside the DUP — a role which encompassed much media activity.

We do. It’s a legal obligation on the part of the club to publish notification of any shareholder holding more than a certain number (offhand I think it’s 3.5%) of shares.
Yeah over a certain %.

I would be confident enough to say he’s some sort of shareholding, and cash at hand over the past number of years when finances have been ‘stretched’.

But that’s just my opinion.

I'll do the same as I did with the previous video.

Finances not mentioned til just after 6:10.

• It's a big moment for us, there's the prestige of playing in the CL and there's also the financial reward for the club
  • (Emma Dodds) how will that impact you? Will that impact you as far as transfers are concerned between now and the end of the world?
  • Well of course it will impact us because you know as a player, as a coach, you're only thinking about competing with the best on teams in Europe and we have the opportunity to do so and of course there are so many positives to take away from from from this game.
  • I think the club's and the board's y'know, also happy that we get, y'know, the financial, more financial opportunities, and y'know we always have a good conversation and communication in how to spend the money.
  • (Emma Dodds) so expect some new faces before the transfer window shuts?
  • I don't know. I don't know. I said it before it's, y'know, 7 days, I think 7 or 8 days so anything can happen but we have to be prepared.
There's nothing in there that says to me he wants to add anyone. He says he doesn't know if there would be new signings but that anything can happen. You could infer that he was playing his cards close to his chest, or you could take him at face value.
Again it’s interpretation and maybe a bit in translation but thanks again to going it all the bother of putting it out in black and white.

I do believe he wanted to sign someone of quality and any manager worth his salt would.

When interviewed only a few days later his tone had changed like he had been told that was his lot.

As you say above maybe it’s down to the manager’s decisions or maybe my take on it is Wilson has far too much input.

I can’t for the life of me understand us not signing one Dutch player or a player that had previously played under the manager or coaching staff when this is where most managers bring in 2-3 players that they trust that’s what brings me to believe the manager doesn’t have as much a say as he should have but let me make it clear that’s my take on things.

Back