Club 1872 Blog – What We’ve Got Here Is, Failure To Communicate

Haven't read this entire thread but is the blog title some subtle dig that the club is in civil war?

I’m not sure, to be honest.

If it is, I’d say they’re wide of the mark.

I don’t believe that there is a civil war in the Club – just Dave King wanting his shares bought, and Club 1872 being the useful idiots, in my opinion.

Again it’s interpretation and maybe a bit in translation but thanks again to going it all the bother of putting it out in black and white.

I do believe he wanted to sign someone of quality and any manager worth his salt would.

When interviewed only a few days later his tone had changed like he had been told that was his lot.

As you say above maybe it’s down to the manager’s decisions or maybe my take on it is Wilson has far too much input.

I can’t for the life of me understand us not signing one Dutch player or a player that had previously played under the manager or coaching staff when this is where most managers bring in 2-3 players that they trust that’s what brings me to believe the manager doesn’t have as much a say as he should have but let me make it clear that’s my take on things.
He didn't take anyone to china either.

Looking at the players he used at Feyenoord: (name / position / age / current team (parent team) )

Goalkeepers
GK Jones 40 Perth Glory
GK Vermeer 36 FC Cincinnati
GK Hansson 36 retired
GK Delle 32 Kortrijk
GK Hahn 30 IFK Goteburg

Defenders
LB Nelom 31 Excelsior
LB Haps 29 Venezia
LB Woudenburg 28 Willem II
LB Verdonk 25 NAC Breda
LB Malacia LB 22 Man Utd

CB Botteghin 35 Ascoli
CB Van der Heiden 34 Willem II
CB Van Beek 28 Heerenveen
CB Kongolo 28 Le Havre (Fulham)
CB St Juste 25 Sporting CP
CB Geertruida 22 Feyenoord

RB Martina 32 Go Ahead Eagles
RB Karsdorp 27 Roma
RB Nieuwkoop 26 USG
RB Diks 25 Copenhagen

Midfielders
DM El Ahmadi 37 Ittihadi
DM Clasie 31 AZ Alkmaar
DM Tapia 27 Celta Vigo
DM Amrabat 26 Fiorentina
DM Hamer 25 Coventry

CM Immers 36 Scheveningen
CM Vejinovic 32 Heracles
CM Ayoub 28 Excelsior
CM Vilhena 27 Salernitana (Espanyol)
CM Schuurman 25 FC Dordrecht
CM Kökçü 21 Feyenoord
CM Burger 21 FC Basel

AM Toornstra 33 Utrecht
AM Gustafson 27 Hacken
AM Achahbar 26 Sepsi OSK

Forwards
LW Elia 35 ADO Den Haag
LW Larsson 29 Antalyaspor
LW Manu 29 Botiv Plovdiv
LW Boethius 28 Hertha BSC
LW Basacikoglu 27 Heracles
LW Hansson 24 Heracles
LW Sinisterra 23 Leeds
LW Toure 21 PSV

ST Van Persie 39 retired
ST Kazim-Richards 35 Fatih Karagümrük
ST Kramer 33 RKC
ST Jorgensen 31 free agent
ST Robertha 24 DC United
ST Vente 23 Roda JC

RW Kuyt 41 retired
RW Berghuis 31 Ajax
RW El Hankouri 25 Magdeburg

Of the 52 players he used in the league (sorry, I don't have the energy to look into cup squads etc too), 21 are over 30. That leaves 31. If we look at upper age of 28, we're left with a pool of 28.

Of those 28, we have no chance in hell of getting Malacia, Kongolo, St Juste, Geertruida, Karsdorp, Amrabat, Kökçü, Sinisterra, Toure or Berghuis, so we're down to 18, and they're not exactly ripping it up at Heracles, Magdeburg, Roda JC, DC Utd, Sepsi, Hacken, Basel, Dordrecht, USG etc.

I'm not sure who the trusted players he would bring that we can afford are. Most if his trusted would be retired, and the rest were early in their careers.

You really are an idiot

No your the idiot trying to make out your not getting fed information from your son about what’s going on.

But now your getting personal and the fact you don’t actually have much decent or constructive to say then let’s just leave it here.

He didn't take anyone to china either.

Looking at the players he used at Feyenoord: (name / position / age / current team (parent team) )

Goalkeepers
GK Jones 40 Perth Glory
GK Vermeer 36 FC Cincinnati
GK Hansson 36 retired
GK Delle 32 Kortrijk
GK Hahn 30 IFK Goteburg

Defenders
LB Nelom 31 Excelsior
LB Haps 29 Venezia
LB Woudenburg 28 Willem II
LB Verdonk 25 NAC Breda
LB Malacia LB 22 Man Utd

CB Botteghin 35 Ascoli
CB Van der Heiden 34 Willem II
CB Van Beek 28 Heerenveen
CB Kongolo 28 Le Havre (Fulham)
CB St Juste 25 Sporting CP
CB Geertruida 22 Feyenoord

RB Martina 32 Go Ahead Eagles
RB Karsdorp 27 Roma
RB Nieuwkoop 26 USG
RB Diks 25 Copenhagen

Midfielders
DM El Ahmadi 37 Ittihadi
DM Clasie 31 AZ Alkmaar
DM Tapia 27 Celta Vigo
DM Amrabat 26 Fiorentina
DM Hamer 25 Coventry

CM Immers 36 Scheveningen
CM Vejinovic 32 Heracles
CM Ayoub 28 Excelsior
CM Vilhena 27 Salernitana (Espanyol)
CM Schuurman 25 FC Dordrecht
CM Kökçü 21 Feyenoord
CM Burger 21 FC Basel

AM Toornstra 33 Utrecht
AM Gustafson 27 Hacken
AM Achahbar 26 Sepsi OSK

Forwards
LW Elia 35 ADO Den Haag
LW Larsson 29 Antalyaspor
LW Manu 29 Botiv Plovdiv
LW Boethius 28 Hertha BSC
LW Basacikoglu 27 Heracles
LW Hansson 24 Heracles
LW Sinisterra 23 Leeds
LW Toure 21 PSV

ST Van Persie 39 retired
ST Kazim-Richards 35 Fatih Karagümrük
ST Kramer 33 RKC
ST Jorgensen 31 free agent
ST Robertha 24 DC United
ST Vente 23 Roda JC

RW Kuyt 41 retired
RW Berghuis 31 Ajax
RW El Hankouri 25 Magdeburg

Of the 52 players he used in the league (sorry, I don't have the energy to look into cup squads etc too), 21 are over 30. That leaves 31. If we look at upper age of 28, we're left with a pool of 28.

Of those 28, we have no chance in hell of getting Malacia, Kongolo, St Juste, Geertruida, Karsdorp, Amrabat, Kökçü, Sinisterra, Toure or Berghuis, so we're down to 18, and they're not exactly ripping it up at Heracles, Magdeburg, Roda JC, DC Utd, Sepsi, Hacken, Basel, Dordrecht, USG etc.

I'm not sure who the trusted players he would bring that we can afford are. Most if his trusted would be retired, and the rest were early in their careers.
That’s a lot of research and fair dos to you I wouldn’t think many players would have been in a rush to head tu China.

Dave Vos has also been the head of AjAx’s Academy for 10 years can’t believe he doesn’t know of a player or 2 that potentially lost their way or didn’t quite make the cut etc I just find it strange.

No, they’ve made very valid points that the Club’s Comms are shambolic.

However, they, too, are a shambles.
Club 1872 remain an organisation not fit for purpose.
Perhaps they should get their own house in order first - reconnect with the 1000s of members they have chased away and then their gripes might carry more weight.

That’s a lot of research and fair dos to you I wouldn’t think many players would have been in a rush to head tu China.

Dave Vos has also been the head of AjAx’s Academy for 10 years can’t believe he doesn’t know of a player or 2 that potentially lost their way or didn’t quite make the cut etc I just find it strange.
I'm not doing the Ajax academy for 10 years (or Feyenoord for 9 to cover Makaay too)!

Notice something about the players used though? Quite light on RW cover, and lots of DMs. I'd be interested if (anyone) has the time to see if any of the CMs had particularly good goalscoring records under GvB.

I'm not doing the Ajax academy for 10 years (or Feyenoord for 9 to cover Makaay too)!

Notice something about the players used though? Quite light on RW cover, and lots of DMs. I'd be interested if (anyone) has the time to see if any of the CMs had particularly good goalscoring records under GvB.
No you have already surpassed yourself with the amount of research you have done.

It certainly looks like Gio likes a couple of DM’s in his team which for Scotland isn’t really required but then funny only Sands has been brought in and he’s not featured that much TBH he looks like a Utility player.

I guess the simple answer is we don’t know if Wilson has too much influence on signings or not but collectively as a unit the recruitment hasn’t been up to scratch.

Players still might come good given time to settle but we are still minimum a GK and a CM short maybe due the the fact the manager doesn’t see it that way or maybe due to the fact he’s blown his budget or potentially other factors.

The accounts will be interesting all though I am not sure when the end of Rangers financial year is so a lot of the transfer money and Champions league down payment very possibly isn’t on it.

Bad form replying to myself here, but I looked.

Name / career goal ratio / GvB goal ratio / other

Immers: 1 in 3, 0 goals scored under GvB, sold by Gio in his 2nd season.

Vejinovic: 1 in 10, 0 goals scored under GvB

Ayoub: 1 in 8, 1 in 8 under Gio, played 16 times

Vilhena: 1 in 7, 1 in 5 under Gio

Schuurman: 1 in 8, 0 goals under Gio (played once)

Kokcu: 1 in 6, 1 in 3 under Gio, rated £50m, current captain

Burger: 1 in 16, 0 under Gio, played 8 times

Maybe Vilhena... He's contracted to Espanyol but on loan at Salernitana with an option to buy. From skimming a few sites, he seems more of a Steven Davis, with a wee bit more quick passing, but is that what Gio wants?

No you have already surpassed yourself with the amount of research you have done.

It certainly looks like Gio likes a couple of DM’s in his team which for Scotland isn’t really required but then funny only Sands has been brought in and he’s not featured that much TBH he looks like a Utility player.

I guess the simple answer is we don’t know if Wilson has too much influence on signings or not but collectively as a unit the recruitment hasn’t been up to scratch.

Players still might come good given time to settle but we are still minimum a GK and a CM short maybe due the the fact the manager doesn’t see it that way or maybe due to the fact he’s blown his budget or potentially other factors.

The accounts will be interesting all though I am not sure when the end of Rangers financial year is so a lot of the transfer money and Champions league down payment very possibly isn’t on it.
Pretty sure we run 1st July to 30th June, so it will be next year before it's seen.

Bad form replying to myself here, but I looked.

Name / career goal ratio / GvB goal ratio / other

Immers: 1 in 3, 0 goals scored under GvB, sold by Gio in his 2nd season.

Vejinovic: 1 in 10, 0 goals scored under GvB

Ayoub: 1 in 8, 1 in 8 under Gio, played 16 times

Vilhena: 1 in 7, 1 in 5 under Gio

Schuurman: 1 in 8, 0 goals under Gio (played once)

Kokcu: 1 in 6, 1 in 3 under Gio, rated £50m, current captain

Burger: 1 in 16, 0 under Gio, played 8 times

Maybe Vilhena... He's contracted to Espanyol but on loan at Salernitana with an option to buy. From skimming a few sites, he seems more of a Steven Davis, with a wee bit more quick passing, but is that what Gio wants?

Jens Toornstra scored quite a few goals from the middle of the park for him at Feyenoord. 14 in the league the season they won the Eredivisie.

He was one of the first names linked when Gio arrived. Think his age counted against him because he would've been a decent buy. Signed for Utrecht a few weeks back.

It’s an opinion piece if you didn’t listen to the interviews, My views are a lot of it is factual.

So a club with no debt and quite possibly a turn over of 70-80 million that got to a Europa League final isn’t worth 100 million :)
The fact we got to a Europa league final has nothing to do with the value of the club now, Why would you think it would?

EG. Last year I wanted 45k for this Mercedes bit this year the exhaust has fallen off, I still want 45k though…

The fact we got to a Europa league final has nothing to do with the value of the club now, Why would you think it would?

EG. Last year I wanted 45k for this Mercedes bit this year the exhaust has fallen off, I still want 45k though…
Prestige , Turn over etc lots of reasons
Currently Rangers are in a good position and an extremely saleable asset.

Your Merc could still be worth 45k with no exhaust it all depends what it was worth to start of with also a lot of used cars have increased in price due to the complications of buying a new one there are variables in everything In all walks of life.

Your Merc could still be worth 45k with no exhaust it all depends what it was worth to start of with also a lot of used cars have increased in price due to the complications of buying a new one there are variables in everything In all walks of life.

The historical fact we reached a Europa league final does not increase the value of the club.

We had a spat yesterday when I said you were being a smart ass but recent posts suggest you simply don’t understand the finances.

We are not en extremely saleable asset as it’s almost impossible to get a return on investment unless you sell the assets like players and replace for less cash.

The worrying thing is that some carpet bagger buys us and sells the stadium to his own company and commits us to a 50 years lease or similar, sound familiar?

the real problem is that unless owners continually reinvest any profit the fans/customers will be very unhappy, sound familiar?

We were all part of regaining control and I pray we never lose it agin to some sugar daddy or carpet bagger.

We had a spat yesterday when I said you were being a smart ass but recent posts suggest you simply don’t understand the finances.

We are not en extremely saleable asset as it’s almost impossible to get a return on investment unless you sell the assets like players and replace for less cash.

The worrying thing is that some carpet bagger buys us and sells the stadium to his own company and commits us to a 50 years lease or similar, sound familiar?

the real problem is that unless owners continually reinvest any profit the fans/customers will be very unhappy, sound familiar?

We were all part of regaining control and I pray we never lose it agin to some sugar daddy or carpet bagger.
I understand the finances as much as anyone not the actual figures as we are going to have to wait a year to see them.

I am not looking for a sugar daddy or another Murray we don’t want to go back there but we need to be Competitive on the park.

Up until the summer before Gerrard left I was more than happy with what the board had done and COVID certainly didn’t help but the actions lately and the interviews that this blog really boils down to are concerning extremely concerning.

We haven’t even got a contactable ticket Centre let that sink in 2-3 weeks for a reply I recently missed the PSV game at home because of it.

We need to be competitive on the park in the league which currently although we are only 2 points behind because of cheating by referee we will drop plenty of points this season unless something is done to improve things.
There is also another Champions League pot of money for straight qualification if we win but apparently it doesn’t matter now as we hardly make any money out of it.

Mixed messages mixed actions and extremely poor customer service to the people that keep Rangers going the fans not helped by interviews about reinvesting money from sales and seeing 45 million approx coming in and spending In the region of 12 ,
As kindly pointed out yesterday it could be my interpretation of these things but they way it came across to me was far more positive than it’s turned out to be.

No, they’ve made very valid points that the Club’s Comms are shambolic.

However, they, too, are a shambles.
Club 1872 remain an organisation not fit for purpose.
c1872 through its shareholding should have strong lines of communication to the Board and be able to discuss privately meaningfully areas of concerns and feedback to its member. That they don’t have this opportunity is down to their inability to conduct themselves in a proper manner, leaving themselves on the outside.

They now appear to be happy to wash dirty linen in public playing the role of attack dog for Dave King, who for whatever reason, also finds lines of communication to the Board strained. This portrays a situation of two large shareholder at odds with the Board while in reality they are listening to their masters voice and not necessarily acting in line with the views of their membership.

There will be rights and wrongs on all sides but the holier than thou attitude of c1872, given the shambles it has become, is hard to stomach.

c1872 through its shareholding should have strong lines of communication to the Board and be able to discuss privately meaningfully areas of concerns and feedback to its member. That they don’t have this opportunity is down to their inability to conduct themselves in a proper manner, leaving themselves on the outside.

They now appear to be happy to wash dirty linen in public playing the role of attack dog for Dave King, who for whatever reason, also finds lines of communication to the Board strained. This portrays a situation of two large shareholder at odds with the Board while in reality they are listening to their masters voice and not necessarily acting in line with the views of their membership.

There will be rights and wrongs on all sides but the holier than thou attitude of c1872, given the shambles it has become, is hard to stomach.

I agree with pretty much every word you've written.

No your the idiot trying to make out your not getting fed information from your son about what’s going on.

But now your getting personal and the fact you don’t actually have much decent or constructive to say then let’s just leave it here.
You honestly believe the board will be divulging information to the fans rep ? You've lost the plot mate !

I've gone from long term contributor to C1872, to feeling that they can be trusted as far as I can throw them.

There's too many things that don't sit right with the King deal (we were supposed to be putting money into the club, not DK's pockets), and the elections. They get nothing from me now. The way they treated Rev MacQuarrie was the tipping point.

That doesn't absolve the club for their shite communication.

They cancelled their memberships, they are now just cash cows for club1872. only their Board are Members and can decide anything they like
I look forward to them getting a torn arse at the Club AGM
They will then realise how out their depth they really are, be interesting to see who they put up to get slaughtered

You honestly believe the board will be divulging information to the fans rep ? You've lost the plot mate !
Ignore him, pretends he has inside information, and then when he is asked he disappears, I have too much respect for myself to ask Greg to divulge any private information on the Club
So maybe he can divulge all the information Greg gives me or even a wee snippet

I understand the finances as much as anyone not the actual figures as we are going to have to wait a year to see them.

I am not looking for a sugar daddy or another Murray we don’t want to go back there but we need to be Competitive on the park.

Up until the summer before Gerrard left I was more than happy with what the board had done and COVID certainly didn’t help but the actions lately and the interviews that this blog really boils down to are concerning extremely concerning.

We haven’t even got a contactable ticket Centre let that sink in 2-3 weeks for a reply I recently missed the PSV game at home because of it.

We need to be competitive on the park in the league which currently although we are only 2 points behind because of cheating by referee we will drop plenty of points this season unless something is done to improve things.
There is also another Champions League pot of money for straight qualification if we win but apparently it doesn’t matter now as we hardly make any money out of it.

Mixed messages mixed actions and extremely poor customer service to the people that keep Rangers going the fans not helped by interviews about reinvesting money from sales and seeing 45 million approx coming in and spending In the region of 12 ,
As kindly pointed out yesterday it could be my interpretation of these things but they way it came across to me was far more positive than it’s turned out to be.
Are you an accountant? Do you understand the finances of the Rangers?
How do you even know this year's financials?
Do you have a contact in the Club that tells you all the goings on
Your village is missing you

Read the thread or are you incapable I’ve said I got it wrong about Bennet on several occasions so it’s not a lie but seeing it’s upsetting you so much I will go and edit my original post.

Better for both yeah Aribos release clause was 10 million and we got 6 upfront for him so In no way was it a lie.

If you look back you will see that Graeme Park had a big say In appointing Pedro as he was so impressed with his power point presentation.

King wanted McInnes then appointed Gerrard again facts.

I
A fee and the payment structure of it is decided by the legal release clause. Nothing you can do about that unless some club decides to offer more than the stipulated fee and the player agrees to go there.

A sub-committe headed by Robertson did a thorough search for a manager and passed their findings direct to Dave King. He approved Pedro and passed it to the full board. They, by a majority decision, gave Pedro the job.

So either you are lying again or Dave King lied in his address to shareholders at the agm.

Last edited:
A fee and the payment structure of it is decided by the legal release clause. Nothing you can do about that unless some club decides to offer more than the stipulated fee and the player agrees to go there.

A sub-committe headed by Robertson did a thorough search for a manager and passed their findings direct to Dave King. He approved Pedro and passed it to the full board. They, by a majority decision, gave Pedro the job.

So either you are lying again or Dave King lied in his address to shareholders at the agm.
graham park was responsible for pedro fanny dazzeled with his powerpoint display

the parks have been good for the club but i think they should step aside and let people who know what it takes to run a football club take over and be just shareholders

the fact park snr wasnt infront of the camera's the other day says it all

graham park was responsible for pedro fanny dazzeled with his powerpoint display

the parks have been good for the club but i think they should step aside and let people who know what it takes to run a football club take over and be just shareholders

the fact park snr wasnt infront of the camera's the other day says it all
Graham Park was responsible and not Roberson's sub-commitee that reported directly to King? So Dave King lied in his address to the shareholders at the agm. Serious stuff, I am surprised he was not hauled up for it. But thanks.

And the Parks should step down but maintain their shareholding? At least Dave followed your advice and stepped aside. Not content with your 'just being a shareholder' bit though, he wants his cash back anyway he can. Which is fair enough.

Are you an accountant? Do you understand the finances of the Rangers?
How do you even know this year's financials?
Do you have a contact in the Club that tells you all the goings on
Your village is missing you

You certainly seem to but listen as I’ve already said your getting personal now so I’ve honestly nothing left to discuss with you about anything.

Graeme park pushed for Pedro after his power point presentation that’s a fact.

As for a release clause of its 10 million and we accept 6 then all fair and well we agree terms with the purchasing club that’s between the clubs.

It might be that the add ons and sell on will make us over the 10 million but if he has a bad injury next week
we potentially have lost 4 million.

It’s an opinion piece if you didn’t listen to the interviews, My views are a lot of it is factual.

So a club with no debt and quite possibly a turn over of 70-80 million that got to a Europa League final isn’t worth 100 million :)
Thats a logical way to look at a valuation, sadly that is not the way a buyer would look at it. Your value is normally a multiple of your operational profit, not revenue alone and when they look at the way the club is run their due diligence would see that there were area of spend that had been neglected and would need to be addressed. Right now we'd not be an attractive acquisition.

Haven't read this entire thread but is the blog title some subtle dig that the club is in civil war?
Great song, even better film. Hadn't thought about it before but it's a good question. Think it would be giving the author too much credit imo, my guess is it's 100% about the dire communication from the club in general which, whilst I disagree with 1872's politics or priorities, they are bang on the money with.

Maybe to do with having the find the money to pay for Helander and Kent who Dave signed without bothering to consult with the Board about how to fund them?

We signed 7 players this summer.
Bit harsh that on Dave King to say he left the board to find the money. In 19/20 accounts the year that the board had to find the money they state this ''Laird Investments (PTY) Limited (“Laird”) Shareholder Laird, a company in which the Group former Chairman, Mr D King and his immediate family are interested. £7.43m of loans provided by NOAL prior to the commencement of the period, and £1.69m of loans provided during the year were converted to equity in August and September 2019. A further facility provided by Laird to the Company of £5m is being charged interest at 8% on an accruing basis''

So if you discount the near 10 million he put in & converted & the 5 million loan he provided then you could probably say he left the board to find the money.

King did want McInnes and offered him everything he wanted, to be told by an email from Aberdeen he was staying
King appointed Pedro he also said that the previous director of football first contacted Gerrard, I know for a fact that was a lie
King signed kent and Helander and left the Board to pay the 27m or so Debt
Saying my race is run, this has been well reported on here with people who are INK ( not my son lol )
We have a lot to be thankful to Dave King and I personally could not thank him enough but at the end of the day my loyalty will always go to the Club
''King signed kent and Helander and left the Board to pay the 27m or so Debt''

He left 27 million debt? Where are you getting that from?

Rangers – What we’ve got here is, failure to communicate​

Contributor Blog

It would be fair to say that Rangers supporters have been clamouring to hear something from the custodians of our club following an underwhelming start to the season and major question marks over their ambition to build on the success of ’55’ and a Europa League Final. So it was with some interest that I noticed what appeared to be an in depth interview with Vice Chairman, John Bennett appear on Facebook.

I have enjoyed hearing from Mr Bennett on previous occasions. He has spoken fairly well at AGMs and it is apparent that he is one of the few individuals at Rangers who can sound coherent on camera.

Things did not start well, presumably through no fault of Mr Bennett. In his wisdom, Communications ‘Chief’ David Graham decided to release the interview behind a paywall. This was instantly irritating to supporters who feel they are already being squeezed for every penny by the club they love. It took two hours to remedy this ridiculous gaffe and release the interview on YouTube. Unfortunately, things did not improve once the interview got under way.

Bennett’s delivery, which previously has seemed precise and confident took on a patronising tone almost immediately. His nods to social media jokes about Edmiston House and finances betrayed a board which is clearly very sensitive to even the most mild criticism but has absolutely no idea how to deal with it. Perhaps this is symptomatic of custodians who have grown more and more out of touch with the supporters of the club. Perhaps it is just that not even Bennett was convinced by his 33 minute monologue which said virtually nothing.

I have seldom heard someone talk for so long without a single, pertinent piece of information being imparted to the listener. If I had to sum it up, the overall message seemed to be “pipe down, you just don’t understand, we’ve got this”.

It is arguable whether an organisation has ever shot itself in the foot in terms of public relations quite like Rangers over the past two years. In the process of winning a historic 55th title and with a huge name in the management hot-seat we managed to somehow withdraw into ourselves to the point that supporters are sceptical of almost every utterance from the club – with good reason.

RTV interviewers are never going to ask good questions of a Vice Chairman – particularly one under pressure. The puff piece nature of the interview did not serve Mr Bennett well. He is clearly a very capable man and should be able to submit himself to proper questioning. Perhaps if he had then we would have learned something worthwhile. Fan media outlets, who themselves have had issues adjusting to their open access to Ibrox and regularly have to defend themselves against allegations of being too soft on the club, have apparently been asking for some time to sit down with the Rangers hierarchy. The choice of RTV was cowardly and smacked of a lack of confidence in the message – perhaps with some justification as there didn’t seem to be one.

The Stewart Robertson interview which followed, with Jonny McFarlane, the ex Daily Record videographer and now ‘Rangers Review’ Editor, also betrayed both the schizophrenic nature of the club’s communications policy and the refusal to submit to any kind of competent questioning. McFarlane, just a couple of days previously on his own podcast had declared himself completely unable to properly scrutinise Rangers’ finances. Who better then for Rangers Communications Director, David Graham to choose to sit down for an exclusive interview with the Rangers MD on…the club’s finances?

The Rangers Review is owned by The Herald. It is not fan media but rather a mainstream media outlet which passes itself off as fan media. On the one hand therefore we have official fan media partners of the club telling us the MSM can’t be trusted whilst on the other, David Graham hands a plum interview to the Herald newspaper. Without dwelling on McFarlane’s admission of financial and business illiteracy, that is an odd choice. They are clearly seen by Graham as an unstintingly friendly outlet who refuse to challenge the club when even official fan media partners are raising concerns.

In any case, the interviews with Robertson were so badly received that they appear to have been aborted half way through a two day release. On Wednesday, McFarlane announced that the 3 part interview with Robertson that day would be followed on Thursday with more from him on “recruitment, signings and why Rangers did their business the way they did in the transfer market.” As of today, Friday, none of that content has appeared and the tweets referencing it have been deleted by the ever accommodating McFarlane.

Support Club 1872

All in all it builds a picture of a Rangers Board who are either unwilling or unable to submit themselves to real scrutiny. As a Club 1872 member I was extremely disquieted by the Club 1872 Board’s statement earlier in the year which was so scathing of the Rangers Executive Team but it seems they have been proven to be correct. There is a clear level of contempt for supporters.

I have some sympathy with Mr Bennett. A Vice Chairman should not have to take on the responsibilities of Chairman simply because the man holding that position shirks them on such a regular basis. Douglas Park is conspicuous in his absence not only from these type of set piece interviews but also at AGMs where he has scarcely been heard from.

I also have some sympathy with Mr Bennett that the Managing Director of Rangers, who last year received a handsome sum of over £450k for his contribution, is unable to sit in front of a camera and appear in any way convincing. In Mr Bennett’s position, you would also expect your Communications Director to have the knowledge and awareness to spike a 33 minute interview which says nothing and from which the main takeaway is that the Vice Chairman of Rangers thinks being beaten 3-0 at home to the third seed in your Champions League group is a “real Rangers performance”.

However, then I remember that Mr Bennett sits as Vice Chair of the Rangers Board that employed David Graham, who as far as anyone can tell had no prior experience of either PR or business in general. He sits as Vice Chair of a board which appears happy to have a Chairman who won’t communicate with supporters. A Chairman who appears determined to ignore not only Club 1872, a major shareholder representing thousands of Rangers fans, but also the Rangers Supporters Association which represents over 100 Rangers Supporters Clubs. He also sits as Vice Chair of a board who wants supporters to believe they are striving for “best in class” but employ a Managing Director who can’t even deliver a tame interview without it having to be pulled halfway through.

So perhaps I shouldn’t feel sorry for John Bennett and should instead feel sorry for myself and my fellow supporters who have had to put up with two years and counting of this failure to communicate.

Yogi Bear

Absolutely bang on the money for me.
Pot, Kettle, Black

Bit harsh that on Dave King to say he left the board to find the money. In 19/20 accounts the year that the board had to find the money they state this ''Laird Investments (PTY) Limited (“Laird”) Shareholder Laird, a company in which the Group former Chairman, Mr D King and his immediate family are interested. £7.43m of loans provided by NOAL prior to the commencement of the period, and £1.69m of loans provided during the year were converted to equity in August and September 2019. A further facility provided by Laird to the Company of £5m is being charged interest at 8% on an accruing basis''

So if you discount the near 10 million he put in & converted & the 5 million loan he provided then you could probably say he left the board to find the money.
When he resigned he immediately demanded his loan back.

Doesn't change the facts he concluded both deals with no provisions being made to find income to finance it and he fell out with most of the other directors and investors directly as a result of this.

When he resigned he immediately demanded his loan back.

Doesn't change the facts he concluded both deals with no provisions being made to find income to finance it and he fell out with most of the other directors and investors directly as a result of this.
''When he resigned he immediately demanded his loan back''

No he didn't. That isn't accurate. There was an agreed repayment date which was October 2021 which was when the loan was repaid. This was all in the accounts of both RIFC & RFC LTD the redemption date of the loan.

''Doesn't change the facts he concluded both deals with no provisions being made to find income to finance it and he fell out with most of the other directors and investors directly as a result of this''

I had just showed how much he himself put in & converted to equity during the year you said that he left the rest of the board to finance. In fact he put in that year the whole fees of both Kent & Helander as it was near ten million he had converted.

The rest of the claims I know nothing about or that there was a fall out. If you are privy to such information it would be good if you could share this

''When he resigned he immediately demanded his loan back''

No he didn't. That isn't accurate. There was an agreed repayment date which was October 2021 which was when the loan was repaid. This was all in the accounts of both RIFC & RFC LTD the redemption date of the loan.

''Doesn't change the facts he concluded both deals with no provisions being made to find income to finance it and he fell out with most of the other directors and investors directly as a result of this''

I had just showed how much he himself put in & converted to equity during the year you said that he left the rest of the board to finance. In fact he put in that year the whole fees of both Kent & Helander as it was near ten million he had converted.

The rest of the claims I know nothing about or that there was a fall out. If you are privy to such information it would be good if you could share this
You are hanging yourself on an entry in the accounts and treating it as Holy Writ.

The Helander and Kent deals were his idea and he did them without any provision having being made with other directors and investors as to the ongoing finance necessary to look after those arrangements.

I have shared the information you asked for in previous posts. His behaviour is such that he has no meaningful relationship with the remaining directors and investors.

He's not.

But this anonymous blog comes from Club1872 so that should be the starting point for anyone reading it.

An organisation whose own communication has been utterly risible for years is now preaching on it.

An organisation which is now a proxy for Dave King, and his favoured placemen, one of whom was passed over in a fairly brutal fashion for the communication job at Rangers, the other who was so desperate for a role in the club he did anything from wear a yellow steward vest, to carry kit boxes for the youths. Both are out in the cold with a grudge and Club1872 becomes a handy vehicle.

Club1872 are now diametrically opposed to the Rangers board. They do not want the Rangers board to succeed.

They are a wolf in sheep's clothing and the destruction of a potentially great fan vehicle is pretty much complete until Dave King recovers as much of his money as he can using them, and his lackies depart, which they won't because the shareholding offers up too much power to release .
Very astute.

Back