Club 1872 get stuck in to BBC

BBC Scotland dont give a toss. There money is guaranteed by the licence fee so theres nothing we can do to hurt them. All we can hope for us a whistle blower who would out there ' celtic minded ' editorial and employment policies.

Another statement that will go unnoticed.
You noticed it.
There's several audiences for statements, SLB, one of those is ordinary bears like ourselves who appreciate the effort put into defending the club. It may not move mountains or even the slugs at the BBC but it makes me feel a wee bit better.
Don't decry it.

Do not pay your licence fee, cancel it ,they will ask the reason why, I gave them a number of reasons ,one of them being my football club is not being reported to the standards to the rest of the football clubs in Scotland and as a licence payer I am entitled

Great statement but you'll never change the mind and ingrained hatred of our club from these RC bigots.

Fu.ck BBC Scotland and fu.ck their TV Licence.

Are we obliged to allow BBC press access?
Access is likely to be covered by the contract between the SPFL & the broadcasters including the bbc as they have the radio & highlights rights.
We have not banned the bbc or anyone else. They have taken the decision not to cover us but one would ask have they not breeched the contact by selecting not to cover us?
If so are we entitled to make alternative arrangements?

Last edited:
Club 1872 has been in dialogue with Rangers for several weeks regarding Michael Stewart’s offensive and defamatory comments on Sportsound regarding Alfredo Morelos and Jim Traynor. Rangers were in agreement with us that Michael Stewart’s comments were completely unacceptable, and made strong representations to the BBC on that basis.

It was correct that the club engaged directly with BBC Scotland to make their position clear and attempt to resolve this issue. Rangers fans deserve to receive value for the licence fee which funds BBC Scotland’s activities. The decision to reinstate Mr Stewart, and the attempted justification for that reinstatement, makes it clear that under its current leadership BBC Scotland has no intention of ever properly discharging its duty to a significant section of licence fee payers in Scotland.

In an eight minute rant, Mr Stewart did his best to cast doubt on racist abuse of Alfredo Morelos. He then went on to describe the placement of PR stories, an issue he had completely fabricated, as being “more concerning” than racist abuse and “the main story”. This clear and disgraceful attempt to minimise racism should have been condemned by BBC Scotland but instead they have completely ignored it. His defamatory comments about Jim Traynor were not only false and inflammatory but in our opinion were a factor in the physical assault on him just days later. Quite simply, Michael Stewart should have been sacked on the spot. The contrast between how BBC Scotland dealt with this and how the BBC in England have dealt with similar issues is stark.

The assertion by BBC Scotland that they have now adequately resolved this issue by simply explaining Mr Stewart’s responsibilities to him is an insult to the intelligence. Mr Stewart was already well aware of his responsibilities having had several complaints lodged against him for similar behaviour - most notably when he denied that Rangers supporters were placed in a dangerous crushing situation at Rugby Park earlier this season despite clear evidence to the contrary. There is a pattern of behaviour with Michael Stewart on any Rangers related topic and his motivation is abundantly clear to anyone who pays attention.

BBC Scotland’s reputation, already damaged by their refusal to deal properly with their ongoing biased coverage of Rangers, now lies in tatters over this matter. It is decisions like this that have led to more and more questions being asked about the future of the licence fee. Rangers supporters are correct to mistrust BBC Scotland and it is clear that the organisation is deeply flawed at an institutional level. There is no accountability, no integrity and no responsibility - from senior management all the way down to Mr Stewart’s level.

Rangers are correct to withdraw from all dialogue and we believe that those discussions should not resume until the BBC is able to demonstrate with action, not words, that they have regained some control over BBC Sport Scotland.
Another brilliantly written statement from c1872. I have to agree with others that this could, and should, have come directly from the club.
Just words. Need to be complaining to the BBC in London

Good statement. How many good statements have now been released though? Unfortunately, they are obviously meaningless as nothing ever changes.

Access is likely to be covered by the contract between the SPFL & the broadcasters including the bbc as they have the radio & highlights rights.
We have not banned the bbc or anyone else. They have taken the decision not to cover us but one would ask have they breeched the contact by selecting not to cover us?
Suggest we go on the offensive and ban them and make a song and dance about it so as to draw publicity from the rest of the U.K. everyone thinks we’ve banned them anyway so let’s do it big style.

With the media landscape being the way it is, we need to go through OFCOM, BBC in London and through the courts. This statement, along with the other ones recently, have been very good. However, the biased media will ignore or select the bits it wants to acknowledge.

Getting a head on a stick is the first step in pulling the others into professional line.

BBC Scotland dont give a toss. There money is guaranteed by the licence fee so theres nothing we can do to hurt them. All we can hope for us a whistle blower who would out there ' celtic minded ' editorial and employment policies.

Here is the key.

They can say and do what they like basically - they can offer the odd half-hearted apology occasionally to pretend they care when in actual fact they are laughing and planning their next assault.

The licence fee is how to fxxk them.

I like the statement from C1872 - it is factual and represents the view of the fans - or certainly this fan. The problem is there are not many people outside a section the Rangers support (and even then I guess it will be a small percentage) who will give a shit about it.

So what do we do – is it time for all Bears to not pay (say 1 months worth) of the licence fee and put it into a pot/crowdfund to hire a lawyer to look at our case for not paying it at all on the grounds we are being discriminated against or not receiving value for money or any other reason that is more appropriate? Or is this just another idea in a long line of stupid/useless ideas to take on the BBC bias? We need to do something more.

I appreciate the cash from the RFFF went to a good cause but this is the sort of thing it would have been helpful with.

The problem with statements, no matter how good, accurate or professional they are, is who apart from Rangers fans pay any attention to them. This is a good statement but are we not taking this issue up with the BBC Board of Directors? Why has this issue been allowed to go on for so long without taking it higher? The time for statements is past.

Would make a good TV program for STV

who gets that statement ?
does it go to the head of theBBC,not just in Scotland ?
possibly needs an MP to bring it into the public domain outside of Scotland

With the greatest respect, not many people outside our own fan-base really care what c1872 have to say.

There is absolutely no reason that a strongly worded statement like that could not have Stewart Robertson's signature on it.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I still don't understand the value of the club being one step removed from these statements.

Criticism of Stewart and the BBC is hardly a controversial issue.

This ^^^.

The problem is that although C1872 is a major shareholder of the Club, it's perceived (right or wrong) as a fans' organisation.

Which carries NO weight with the media at all.
Even if the main BBC wallahs in England were looking in at this, they'd be wondering why, if it's such a big thing, that it's not the Club itself that is putting out such a strong statement.

In the same way that most of us are wondering why our Club isn't doing that.

We await the new Chairman and we'll see if he makes any difference to how we allow ourselves to be "treated".
We live in hope.

Do not pay your license fee bears, final straw time!

I know what you are saying, but people need to be aware that if you pay income tax you will also be contributing to the BBC as it receives millions in government grants every year. These grants obviously come from taxation. It’s a double whammy. The only effective way to end the BBC as it stands is as many people as possible making it clear to their MP’s that continuing to state fund it is not on. There is a huge movement especially in England to bin this nonsense and the government needs to heed that and at the very least end the compulsory nature of the licence tax and cutting the grants. The BBC should only get money from people who want to pay for it. We’ll see how arrogant it is then.

You noticed it.
There's several audiences for statements, SLB, one of those is ordinary bears like ourselves who appreciate the effort put into defending the club. It may not move mountains or even the slugs at the BBC but it makes me feel a wee bit better.
Don't decry it.
I'm not sure why people are so hard for a statement from a fan representative group when the statement will be read by an audience comprised of 99% bears.

Are you expecting it to change anything? It hasnt in the past and it wont in the future.

Club needs to take tangible action. Bullshit statements about "walking away from negotiations " wont make the blind bit of difference.

I'm not sure why people are so hard for a statement from a fan representative group when the statement will be read by an audience comprised of 99% bears.

Are you expecting it to change anything? It hasnt in the past and it wont in the future.

Club needs to take tangible action. Bullshit statements about "walking away from negotiations " wont make the blind bit of difference.
I said "It may not move mountains or even the slugs at the BBC but it makes me feel a wee bit better."
You say "people are so hard for a statement"
No point in continuing this.

I said "It may not move mountains or even the slugs at the BBC but it makes me feel a wee bit better."
You say "people are so hard for a statement"
No point in continuing this.
Exactly. A statement by bears for bears. And my initial point was that it will go unnoticed and will make no difference to anything going on with the BBC whatsoever. Our fanbase is stiff for statements, absolutely bizarre when it's a zero sum game.

I'm of the opinion that BBC Headquarters in London are probably oblivious to what's going on at Pacific Quay - not just with Rangers FC, it's employees and it's fans, but politically as well. Some of the head honchos need to get up here and get it sorted.

Always amazes me how a company such as the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation could be infiltrated by the tim minded.

BT Sport had him on the night he was banned from the BBC! We are being mocked from all angles. Traynor and the club should go after him personally not just the BBC

We have not banned the bbc or anyone else. They have taken the decision not to cover us but one would ask have they not breeched the contact by selecting not to cover us?
Spot on. If their access was revoked it would at least gain the interest of BBC Scotland's bosses down south

About a month ago now I made my complaint about how our club and fans are being treated unfairly by the BBC Scotland and stated I will be cancelling my direct debit, and up till now no response so yesterday I cancelled my direct debit so I urge fellow bears to do the same
Cancelled mine 3 months ago,they have been at the door twice and sent packing twice. Not a penny more from me.

Always amazes me how a company such as the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation could be infiltrated by the tim minded.
You wanna try living in NI and watching BBC Newsline (our 6.30pm news). The ‘compare and contrast’ of attitudes between reb and Unionist politicians being interviewed is unreal.

Back