Club 1872 get stuck in to BBC

Professor Yaffle

Official Ticketer
Club 1872 has been in dialogue with Rangers for several weeks regarding Michael Stewart’s offensive and defamatory comments on Sportsound regarding Alfredo Morelos and Jim Traynor. Rangers were in agreement with us that Michael Stewart’s comments were completely unacceptable, and made strong representations to the BBC on that basis.

It was correct that the club engaged directly with BBC Scotland to make their position clear and attempt to resolve this issue. Rangers fans deserve to receive value for the licence fee which funds BBC Scotland’s activities. The decision to reinstate Mr Stewart, and the attempted justification for that reinstatement, makes it clear that under its current leadership BBC Scotland has no intention of ever properly discharging its duty to a significant section of licence fee payers in Scotland.

In an eight minute rant, Mr Stewart did his best to cast doubt on racist abuse of Alfredo Morelos. He then went on to describe the placement of PR stories, an issue he had completely fabricated, as being “more concerning” than racist abuse and “the main story”. This clear and disgraceful attempt to minimise racism should have been condemned by BBC Scotland but instead they have completely ignored it. His defamatory comments about Jim Traynor were not only false and inflammatory but in our opinion were a factor in the physical assault on him just days later. Quite simply, Michael Stewart should have been sacked on the spot. The contrast between how BBC Scotland dealt with this and how the BBC in England have dealt with similar issues is stark.

The assertion by BBC Scotland that they have now adequately resolved this issue by simply explaining Mr Stewart’s responsibilities to him is an insult to the intelligence. Mr Stewart was already well aware of his responsibilities having had several complaints lodged against him for similar behaviour - most notably when he denied that Rangers supporters were placed in a dangerous crushing situation at Rugby Park earlier this season despite clear evidence to the contrary. There is a pattern of behaviour with Michael Stewart on any Rangers related topic and his motivation is abundantly clear to anyone who pays attention.

BBC Scotland’s reputation, already damaged by their refusal to deal properly with their ongoing biased coverage of Rangers, now lies in tatters over this matter. It is decisions like this that have led to more and more questions being asked about the future of the licence fee. Rangers supporters are correct to mistrust BBC Scotland and it is clear that the organisation is deeply flawed at an institutional level. There is no accountability, no integrity and no responsibility - from senior management all the way down to Mr Stewart’s level.

Rangers are correct to withdraw from all dialogue and we believe that those discussions should not resume until the BBC is able to demonstrate with action, not words, that they have regained some control over BBC Sport Scotland.

Very good statement.

The problem with statements, no matter how good, accurate or professional they are, is who apart from Rangers fans pay any attention to them. This is a good statement but are we not taking this issue up with the BBC Board of Directors? Why has this issue been allowed to go on for so long without taking it higher? The time for statements is past.

The irony that statements are released so that the media companies can report them but when they are about media companies they completely ignore them. It’s a factual and strong statement and I support it over the clubs weak efforts.

Do not pay your license fee bears, final straw time!

I cancelled mine when in Scotland but now that Ive moved south I need to do it again.

Anyone thinking of doing this now remember to tell them about the biased treatment we're receiving in Scotland. Dont just cancel without an explanation as that wont help Rangers.

Update. Called them just now and cancelled again. See new thread.

Last edited:
Good statement but we are at the stage where unless we take BBC to court they are just going to laugh at us behind closed doors and carry on regardless.

Pacific Quay Emerald are a joke. They ignore Rangers but as soon as there is a junket, in this instance Braga they are there. Also a waste of licence payers money.

Traynor and the club should sue Michael Stewart as an individual for defamation

He’s probably not a BBC employee but an independent contractor and paid per appearance

Ban Stewart for life

Tell Pacific Quay CSC they are banned for life too

Tell BBC HQ in London that the club are going after them for repeated failures to maintain impartiality and no bias

We have plenty of evidence to support a claim to OFCOM too

Time to be more aggressive and go after them

Great Statment - random question much would it cost for an add in a national newspaper with these statments. Always think it would certainly ruffle a few more feathers if we went to print with them.

The problem with statements, no matter how good, accurate or professional they are, is who apart from Rangers fans pay any attention to them. This is a good statement but are we not taking this issue up with the BBC Board of Directors? Why has this issue been allowed to go on for so long without taking it higher? The time for statements is past.
100% Agree, was going to post something similar. Dealing with BBC Scotland is now so toxic there is little point, and as you say, it doesn't matter how good the statements are, no one in the media will bat an eyelid. This needs to be moved up a level via the BBC or Legally.

I can see the two fingers being waved over towards Ibrox as they read that statement. They do not care what we do or say and will continue their vendetta

With the greatest respect, not many people outside our own fan-base really care what c1872 have to say.

There is absolutely no reason that a strongly worded statement like that could not have Stewart Robertson's signature on it.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I still don't understand the value of the club being one step removed from these statements.

Criticism of Stewart and the BBC is hardly a controversial issue.

Ginger Mikey will probably bump into some random 10 year old kid that tell him to fück off and he will make it out that he was abused by a large gang of Rangers fans and was fearful for his life

Another statement that will go unnoticed.

It’s a well worded statement that is clear and obviously some work has gone into it , far better than the club statements to be fair .

However the truth is it’s water off a ducks back to the BBC they will simply laugh and ignore it as they always do .

It must be very frustrating for everyone involved with the club1872 movement knowing their words are going nowhere thanks to our club being a toothless tiger so to speak .

It’s a great statement and should be emailed directly to the BBC headquarters in London.
And when most of us agree that this guy should have been sacked, he’s going to be portrayed as some sort of martyr by our haters..

Very good statement, however the Scottish Media will not let it see daylight, one because of the love in with the Scum, two because their shit scared of being sued, by that crowd of hypocrites.

Bingo. The reality is everyone that's not a Rangers fan in Scotland laughs at these statements, no more than BBC Scotland and Stewart will be. They know this is what we do, we release a statement and don't follow it up. They know if they wait for the smoke to dissipate they'll be back in.

Got a wee bit wet there reading that statement.

the writer should be employed by rangers football club immediately.
Every point well structured and straight. No messing about, hits the target right between the eyes, and if it didn’t, it bloody well should have.

shows the bbc and, in particular, Michael Stewart’s apparent and obvious bias and hostility towards our club.

Traynor and the club should sue Michael Stewart as an individual for defamation

He’s probably not a BBC employee but an independent contractor and paid per appearance

Ban Stewart for life

Tell Pacific Quay CSC they are banned for life too

Tell BBC HQ in London that the club are going after them for repeated failures to maintain impartiality and no bias

We have plenty of evidence to support a claim to OFCOM too

Time to be more aggressive and go after them

At last!

The time for talking has long since passed.

A great statement, but like many others I am sceptical about the effect of it.
This wee scrotes life should be made a misery (legally of course). Anyone meeting him or seeing him should make him very uncomfortable without personal abuse, however much h deserves it. At the same time keep on at BBC all over the UK.
As I live in the leafless suburbs of North Belfast, I am unlikely to run into Ginger Mickey, but I make it a point that whenever I see any BBC employees in NI, I tell them what I think. Some of it will get passed on up the tree. BBC are notoriously anti-British and anti-Unionist, especially here in NI, so we know how difficult it is.
And, no licence fee, of course.

I’d like to see the analytics and reach these statements have.

They are well intended and scripted, but does the average punter even see it? The external media pick up on on it?

It’s not that the statement is ignored by others in Scottish Football but it will be ridiculed by most.

I haven’t read Pie and Bovril for months but they lap these statements up and sit back and mock Rangers yet there are still Rangers ‘supporters’ who continue to contribute to that place ‘Kincardine’ who posts here being one of them.

It is always worth a quick visit just to remind yourself the level of hatred many have towards our club

I'm glad this has finally happened with the BBC but there's a tiny, tiny part of me questioning why it took until now. And is it because of the stuff that happened with traynor.

Like I said I'm glad bit I feel It should've been fine a long time ago

Back