Club 1872, their Masterplan & the Daily Record

Roscoblue

After yesterday’s announcement by Club 1872 that they are looking to purchase a significant shareholding without giving a penny of the money to The Club I didn’t think they could surprise me more.

However having learned that they invited the Daily Record to their press/media briefing I am
Utterly astonished. Club 1872 have, for years, fought an honourable and justifiable fight against said arse rag and urged its members and the wider Rangers support to boycott it. Those actions yesterday are a complete slap in the face to everyone of us that have backed their fight.

Surely not?! Did they definitely not just lift the story and pass it off as if they were there?

If they want to increase their shareholding they need to buy shares off shareholders, that is an unfortunate consequence. If they want to increase their influence then they cannot continue to fight everyone, I am sceptical about the increase in shareholding it seems they could not agree on the colour of shite at times. However inviting the Record even with them being hated is a positive step for me. A step that they are serious and stepping up maybe, not perpetually fighting with media etc...

I think King feels he is doing the right thing and theoretically he is , however unfortunately club1972 has infighting and drama written all over it when it comes to these shares . I don’t want to be negative about it but after reading a few months back about someone as grounded as the reverend Maquarrie feeling he had to resign , alarm bells are well bad truly ringing .

Neither the club nor the fans have succeeded in attempts to challenge the media. Efforts have had absolutely no impact. It's time to change tact. It's also time that fans realised that being militant from the sidelines is great - actually being in a position where you can influence things involves compromise and it requires that people can make pragmatic decisions.

If they want to increase their shareholding they need to buy shares off shareholders, that is an unfortunate consequence. If they want to increase their influence then they cannot continue to fight everyone, I am sceptical about the increase in shareholding it seems they could not agree on the colour of shite at times. However inviting the Record even with them being hated is a positive step for me. A step that they are serious and stepping up maybe, not perpetually fighting with media etc...

Or they could speak to The Club about further investment. I don’t recall Stuart Gibson or the 2 other investors that were named recently buying shares from other shareholders?

I’m not asking them to fight everyone but over years they have fought a very specific fight with the Record. The one thing that has happened is Club 1872 has ‘Changed the Record’ and, in doing so, let us down.

Neither the club nor the fans have succeeded in attempts to challenge the media. Efforts have had absolutely no impact. It's time to change tact. It's also time that fans realised that being militant from the sidelines is great - actually being in a position where you can influence things involves compromise and it requires that people can make pragmatic decisions.

I’m not disagreeing with a lot of what you say but speaking, specifically, about the Daily Record their is no defence. The asked us to boycott, we supported them and they kicked us on the stones.

What’s next, a successful power grab and 7,500 Bheggars back in the Broomloan Road stand?

This is a big time of change for Club1872. To raise £13m will take an enormous effort and professionalism. They will need to take every possible route to reach our fans. Unfortunately some Bears still buy the record and get their news there. I think this was good that Club1872 held their nose and got their message out.

I don't want to be negative about this but this scares me 1872 having this much influence it could turn into a clique like most things in Scotland does and scare the people away. If 1872 had the shares instead of Dave King would they have attracted the likes of Steven Gerrard to the club. I hope i am wrong but this could make the club more insular to outside parties . It could make factions inside the club for what I have seen has been amateurish from 1872 are they going to communicate with all members to let them know what is the next move in the transfer market and let our competitors know our every move? I hope I am wrong because I have the best interests of the club at heart .Will they have millions to invest into the club? We need canny operators at our club and the evidence of 1872 suggests they are not.

Or they could speak to The Club about further investment. I don’t recall Stuart Gibson or the 2 other investors that were named recently buying shares from other shareholders?

I’m not asking them to fight everyone but over years they have fought a very specific fight with the Record. The one thing that has happened is Club 1872 has ‘Changed the Record’ and, in doing so, let us down.
More shares would need to be issued for that. It’s clear that King now feels he has done his job and now wants to leave. Fair enough, in order to do so he needs to sell his shares, other than punting them to some investor he’s looking to a fans group. C1872 bought Ashley’s shares, it gave the club nothing but got rid of him! As o say I’m sceptical about C1872 increasing their influence, there has been times they’ve not been ran well, but I don’t question their commitment to us and I think that’s why King is looking to them.

For whatever reason Dave King wants a return - fully respect that and this will happen either with an internal or external purchase.
The preference is to keep them in the 'family'.
So we have a purchaser that we know, it's not to everyones taste but it's FAR safer for the reasons DK listed previously.
Whatever way you cut this, the monies for DKs shares would not be going to the club.

Personally, the fan share option is a sensible way forward and at a discounted price

The Club 1872 issues are solveable, if the members want it

More shares would need to be issued for that. It’s clear that King now feels he has done his job and now wants to leave. Fair enough, in order to do so he needs to sell his shares, other than punting them to some investor he’s looking to a fans group. C1872 bought Ashley’s shares, it gave the club nothing but got rid of him! As o say I’m sceptical about C1872 increasing their influence, there has been times they’ve not been ran well, but I don’t question their commitment to us and I think that’s why King is looking to them.
Then more shares could be issued. If King feels its time to go I get that and will be thankful, forever, for what he done but for a Rangers supporters group to choose to pay £13m to an individual rather than directly to The Club doesn’t sit at all well with me.

Buying Ashley’s shares most definitely didn’t give ‘nothing’ to The Club.

The only reason Club 1872 and this issue of King selling his shares to them has any credibility is because King is endorsing them.

Then more shares could be issued. If King feels its time to go I get that and will be thankful, forever, for what he done but for a Rangers supporters group to choose to pay £13m to an individual rather than directly to The Club doesn’t sit at all well with me.

Buying Ashley’s shares most definitely didn’t give ‘nothing’ to The Club.
You’re right, it did not give the club the money but saved us from probably untold financial hardship due to him.

You think we should ”compromise “ with people like McLaughlan, Speirs, and surrender to the BBC?
what Exactly do we have to gain from doing that?

This thread sums up exactly why it's not a good idea and will end in tears

Its guaranteed money for king though.

Just hope we can keep it stable to see this season out the timing seems horrendous

So if club 1872 manage to acquire the shares made available from King do they propose a figure head with business acumen to represent their share holders and if so how would a candidate be appointed is it a vote ect

What is the option if Dave King wants out. He is giving the fans the opportunity to own the club. If we don't buy, he can sell to whoever he wants. Now that may be a good guy, or a bad guy and we are back in the same state as when Ashley was involved.

You think we should ”compromise “ with people like McLaughlan, Speirs, and surrender to the BBC?
what Exactly do we have to gain from doing that?

Right now the club and the support have achieved nothing. Fans who still rely on the mainstream media for coverage of the club are suffering. Those outlets are still free to report on Rangers as they see fit. It isnt hurting them at all, but it's certainly denying fans coverage of the club. The BBC can still broadcast whatever they want. The only impact seems to be that they can no longer attend club press conferences. That really considered to be a victory?

Have to agree with a previous poster. This makes me a bit nervous. Our support couldn't agree on most things, and that doesn't lend itself to good decision making. Also my opinion, but ridiculous to involve the Daily Rebel in anything.

I think King feels he is doing the right thing and theoretically he is , however unfortunately club1972 has infighting and drama written all over it when it comes to these shares . I don’t want to be negative about it but after reading a few months back about someone as grounded as the reverend Maquarrie feeling he had to resign , alarm bells are well bad truly ringing .
Any kind of fan ownership would be an unmitigated disaster.
A rare error of judgement here from Dave King.

Announced less than 24 hours ago.

Support already at loggerheads.

Love the idea. But too fractious and sadly with our supporters’ group’s track record, it looks doomed to fail.

The only down side for me is we are losing a man of Dave Kings calibre from the club. His shrewd and incisive mind will be a huge miss.

This is the way I see it, correct me if I am wrong.

Dave King could recoup on the region of £25M if the shares were sold for market price. That money goes to Dave King, not the club. DK has opted to give the best and largest Rangers fans group a chance to buy his shares at a discount of roughly half prices. This is a no brainer if sufficient funds can be raised.

I cannot understand why people would be against this. For years there has been calls for more fan ownership, and when a genuine chance arises people don't want it because a few people have fallen out with each other?

Every other large fan base would be exactly the same, its the nature of people. Surely we can organise and overcome a few minor squabbles and grasp this fantastic chance to have a real say in how our great club is run.

I don’t have any vested interest in Club1872 but will be getting involved when they ask us to invest to buy DK out.

Please let’s not attack our own, one of the main reasons we have been picked about by charlatans in 2012 was due to the fans being split into so many factions. We NEED a united front to ensure our club is never put in harms way again, the best way to archive this is by having a fans group with a significant shareholding in the club.

Again, let’s put issues behind and form a united front.

Any kind of fan ownership would be an unmitigated disaster.
A rare error of judgement here from Dave King.
Fan involvement I’m comfortable with in terms of never allowing what happened with the spivs to happen again .

But fan ownership ? I just cannot see that working for us . It may work for European clubs but we seem to pick fights with each other over what breakfast cereal to have never mind running a club .

Announced less than 24 hours ago.

Support already at loggerheads.

Love the idea. But too fractious and sadly with our supporters’ group’s track record, it looks doomed to fail.

People arguing online happens with anything. That doesn't necessarily means that fan involvement doesn't work. The structure of Club 1872 would put major decisions to it's membership and the majority would decide.

There are valid questions getting asked of Club 1872 that need answered, but fans not agreeing is the same in any organisation.

People arguing online happens with anything. That doesn't necessarily means that fan involvement doesn't work. The structure of Club 1872 would put major decisions to it's membership and the majority would decide.

Agree with the idea and really hope it can be a success. Would be a great legacy for King.

I’d personally be keen to be involved if there is a clear plan and everyone pulling in same direction. So will keep a close eye on what comes out of it in the coming months.

Here’s hoping it’s something we can come together on and make into a positive without ego and politics rendering it useless.

Regardless, King deserves a statue for what he has done through this chapter.

I’m no financial genius, but if DK wants to sell his shares, is it not better to sell them to C 1872 than some random?

I’m no financial genius, but if DK wants to sell his shares, is it not better to sell them to C 1872 than some random?

Neither am I but if a supporter’s group have £13 million pounds to invest, is it not better that they put it into The Club than line the pockets of an individual?

Given Dave King’s love for The Club, I’m sure any ‘random’ would have proper due diligence done to offset any concerns regarding their motives.

I think Dave King believes he is doing the right thing by making his shares available to the fans, and to him club1872 seem the most appropriate choice. However, I wonder if he's aware of the problems theyve had with leadership issues, resignations, etc.

I'm have a real bad vibe from this decision by DK and club1872 getting into bed with the DR does nothing to calm that feeling. They can argue all they want about having to make use of the MSM, building bridges, or whatever. The truth is though this is a step backwards.

Whatever way you look at this situation the fan base is too disfunctional as a family to be in control of the club. It should certainly have a strong share in the club, but not a controlling one imho

Neither am I but if a supporter’s group have £13 million pounds to invest, is it not better that they put it into The Club than line the pockets of an individual?

Given Dave King’s love for The Club, I’m sure any ‘random’ would have proper due diligence done to offset any concerns regarding their motives.
Do you think that they should gift the club the money without anything in return?

That’s a matter of opinion and I respect yours. Can’t really see how it’s relevant to Club 1872 relaxing it’s morals or stabbing supporters in the back though.

To be fair I think framing "inviting the Daily Record to a press briefing" as "stabbing supporters in the back" is not exactly helpful.

Whether we like it or not there are plenty of Rangers supporters who get their news from the Scottish mainstream media.

Club 1872 is not just representing the interests of supporters on FollowFollow (and we don't even agree on very much here).

I'm not even sure what percentage of our support regularly engage in online forums etc so maybe it's in our interests for the mainstream to carry this story?

When Timmy are rioting we want the mainstream to cover it so that it reaches as many people as possible.
When we have something important going on don't invite the mainstream media because we want to keep it as quiet as possible?

think it is going to be a very hard sell for Club 1872.
Basically asking fans to make a donation of £500 which will be given to Dave King and allow Club 1872 to get his shares. No money goes into Rangers and no shares are given to the investor/donator.

I have been contributing to club 1872 since the beginning but wont be doing this.

Back